Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2022

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 8

With a few advent chocolates gone there isn’t too long now until the Easter eggs are in the shops and we’re fast approaching the half way point. The nights have really drawn in so hopefully choosing the images for these threads is brightening the dreary afternoons and evenings.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Large Blue - Favourite Photo of 2022

Post by bugboy »

I was particularly pleased to find this one after an hour of searching in very damp and gloomy conditions at Daneway Bank. After sheltering in the pub for a couple of hours whilst it tanked down I was even more pleased to find he was an eye-catching spotless ab. alconides.
Large Blue ab. alconides, Daneway Bank #1.JPG
Large Blue ab. alconides, Daneway Bank #2.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

I spent a couple of days at Collard Hill 16/17 June, staying overnight in Glastonbury so that I could be up on the hill early the second day. Unfortunately, as often happens, I picked sunny very warm days, and open wing shots were nearly nonexistent, even at seven in the morning. However, I did manage some good undersides. Conditions were very dry already, and some of the thyme didn't look very happy, but hopefully it was leafy enough to sustain the next generation of caterpillars until they were adopted by the local ants. A selection of favourites:
LB13 160622.JPG
LB7 160622.JPG
I like this twosome, as it reminds me of the set of four butterfly stamps from many moons ago which featured these species as two of the four depicted.
LB+ST1 160622.JPG
The next generation waiting on a thyme flower.
LB egg 160622.JPG
Early morning open wings...
LB3 170622.JPG
LB2 170622.JPG
Finally, a view the other way.
Tor 160622.JPG
Dave
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

The first time for several years I had been in the right place at the right time (Collard Hill, 19 June). Not great photos, but nevertheless photos of Large Blues being Large Blues.
P6190078.JPG
P6190092.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Large Blue

I managed to make a visit to Daneways this year. To save petrol and reduce the C footprint I made my way over straight from work as my workplace is one the way. However this meant that I ran the risk of arriving when the butterflies were all heading to bed and also that I would have reduced time on site in which to explore. Luckily things worked out okay and I spotted several Large Blues. This was my favourite shot as in the heat I hadn’t expected any that I found to open up. I would have loved to have gotten back but it’s always good to save something for the following year.
7 LB 21-06-2022 11.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Didn't have chance to catch up with home-grown Large Blues this year, but I saw a handful abroad, including this typically dark coloured female in the French Alps in late June:
2.FrLgeBlueups(1).jpg
2.FrLgeBlueuns(1).jpg

Return to “Large Blue”