Pyrgus from French Alps

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
David M

Pyrgus from French Alps

Post by David M »

Going through my images I came across this very small Pyrgus that I potted at around 2,000m on the road up to Col Agnel.

Was taken on 29th June. Anyone have any ideas?
6.Frpyrgusuns1(1).jpg
6.Frpyrgusups1(1).jpg
Roger Gibbons

Re: Pyrgus from French Alps

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I can see where you’re coming from, David, but I would say it is serratulae, with some degree of confidence. The roundish basal s6 mark, the marginal white band (which serratulae sometimes has, and causes confusion with carthami which some people think is the only Pyrgus to have this band), and the general colouring, all point very strongly to serratulae.

I’m sure you had an outside hope for the elusive warrenensis, and the size (although some serratulae can be quite small) and the small and separated upf markings would make this a candidate, but the underside rules it out. I'm sure that's what you thought. You’ll get it one day!

That is just my opinion. Maybe Guy will pick it up and comment. There aren’t many people on this planet with enough experience of warrenensis to be able to say definitively.

Roger
still admiring the female Poplar Admiral….
David M

Re: Pyrgus from French Alps

Post by David M »

Thanks, Roger. I confess, due to its tiny size, when I first saw it I was convinced it was warrensis, but I also knew that only clear images of ups AND uns would suffice to establish a definitive ID.

One look at the undersides told me it was not Warren's Skipper, and I suppose serratulae was the only realistic option.

The hunt goes on....

Return to “Identification”