Raising butterflies

Discussion forum for butterfly foodplants, and butterfly gardening in general.
Ethan Peacock

Raising butterflies

Post by Ethan Peacock »

I have seen the Large Tortoiseshell caterpillars for sale on line and was wondering if i could raise and release them in Bristol. Also I have seen brimstone caterpillars to but can’t find any buckthorn, I think i might have seen some Alder Buckthorn out side but can’t be sure. I have raised painted ladies and peacocks before.
Ethan Peacock

Re: Raising butterflies

Post by Ethan Peacock »

The peacocks where raised after I saved some form being cut down by the council. I was planning to get the larva from Devon Butterflies is there anyone who has ordered from that company before. Are they good?
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Hmmm, well this is a subject that threatens to open a big can of worms but I'll nail my flag to the post first and say with regard to the Large Tortoiseshells, don't do it!

There was nothing wrong with what you did with the Peacocks (many of us have done that over the years) and with common, widespread species, taking a few from the wild to rear is completely harmless as long as you release them back to the same place.

When it comes to rare or localised species it's a different matter. The reason for their rarity is usually due to their exacting ecological needs, and for many species these are still not fully understood. The LT for instance went extinct in the UK in the 80's and no one really knows why, so randomly introducing some on a 'whim', no matter how well intentioned, is unlikely to help, quite the opposite in fact, the resulting butterflies will likely lead a pointless life and die without breeding.

The other reason I say don't do it is because you are suggesting buying them from a company. You will have no idea where they are sourced from so no idea whether the stock is even able to survive our climate, and you will run the real risk of introducing disease or parasites to the environment. The same goes for common species with regard to these companies.

If you want Brimstone's, spend your money on buying some Buckthorn and let the butterflies come to you naturally. In general this is the best advice for all wildlife, not just butterflies, make the environment right for them and they'll come to you, (within reason, don't expect Chequered Skippers to turn up just because you've re-created a Scottish glen in your back garden :lol: ).

Hopefully I've not burst your bubble

Paul
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wolfson

Post by Wolfson »

I would like to support Paul’s advice and add that introducing genotypes of unknown or inappropriate provenance has the potential to prevent local adaptations developing or undo any that may have developed. Also, undermines the value of recording.
Ethan Peacock

Post by Ethan Peacock »

Thank you ,I did not know and will not be getting the caterpillars.

Return to “Foodplants and Gardening”