Silver-spotted Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 15

Not long to go now! The Aconites at work are out and they’re usually only a couple of weeks ahead of the Small Torts…barring a sudden snowfall or arctic surge.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Silver-spotted Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2021

Post by bugboy »

SSS had a very good year at Denbies, don't think I've ever seen so many there! Here's a mating pair I came across one afternoon.
Silver-spotted Skipper mating, Denbies Hillside.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

With our daughter's move to Emsworth near Portsmouth last year and our trip down there to see her in early September, this gave me the chance to catch up with Silver-spotted Skippers.
I saw decent numbers during a couple of visits to Old Winchester Hill plus a few at Oxenbourne Down when Pauline most kindly showed me around there.
Silver-spotted Skipper - Old Winchester Hill 02.09.2021
Cheers,

Neil.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Two from me ,both taken at Temple Ewell (Kent ) slightly down on the two previous seasons .Didn,t take too many shots ,these two are my favourites. Allan.W.
P1050616 (3).JPG
P1050717 (2).JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely, Allan. This is one species I wish I had closer to home! :mrgreen:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Silver-spotted Skipper

This shot came from my second visit to Perham Down at the start of August. Both visits that I made to the site this year were flying visits either on the way home from work or after spending the morning with Brostreaks at nearby Shipton but that’s the great thing about this site – it’s close to home and the butterflies are only about 5 minutes walk away, unlike Broughton Down where you have to scale the Down and take the path which never seems to end! I was lucky enough to find several Silver-spots in the one little area in very quick time but this one was my favourite as it sat and supped nectar revealing their absolutely huge legs. I get why it’s called ‘Silver-spotted’ but seeing this shot makes me wonder if ‘the Stilt Walker’ might not have been a better and more interesting name?
03-08-2021a 16.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Saw plenty in Spain in late July/early Aug, but only two in the UK, both at Aston Rowant on 23 July:
1.SSpSk(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

I caught up with this species at all of the locations I usually visit for them (Box Hill, Denbies and Aston Rowant). I took quite a few shots of this cutest of Skippers, but one I particularly remember is of an egg-laying female. A close look at the photo revealed that this was clearly a favoured spot for this purpose as a number of other eggs were tucked down among the grass blades.
SSS10 150821.JPG
Dave

Return to “Silver-spotted Skipper”