Unusual Orchids.

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Allan.W.

Unusual Orchids.

Post by Allan.W. »

Apologies for posting a non-butterfly post ,but here in Kent ,(at least in my area) things are still pretty quiet butterflywise
although a few peacocks ,Red Admirals and Small Torts have been reported on Romney Marsh ..............no such luck for me !
I thought i,d post a few shots of Orchid Hybrids and variants ,which some may find of interest .
The first orchid was an exceptionally tall plant amongst the Southern Marsh and Heath Spotted Orchids that grow at Hothfield Common ,this plant showed real Hybrid vigour and dwarfed all the standard orchids around it.
P1270789.JPG
P1270793.JPG
I had another site in mind to try and find the orchid hybrid cross between Chalk Fragrant Orchid and Common Spotted orchid ,the site is very close to the Lydden/Temple Ewell reserve ,it a roadside reserve and has a huge population of both parent plants ,once i got my eye in ,I actually found several
one specimen in particular was huge ,and stood out amongst the other orchids like a lighthouse ,
P1290078.JPG
P1290006.JPG
P1270662.JPG
And last , something i look for every season ,variant Early Spider Orchids at Samphire Ho ,near Dover ,this year i found two very pale specimens about a metre apart ,along the cliff edge.
P1250178 Leucistic Early Spider ,Samp Ho..JPG
P1250190.JPG
Regards Allan.W.
aeshna5

Re: Unusual Orchids.

Post by aeshna5 »

Lovely stuff. Haven't been to Samphire Ho for ESO for some years. Heard last year was generally quite poor there for this species. May try & get there this spring if god reports come out as I have more time now.
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous orchids, Allan. Just the tonic for a dreary, cold January afternoon. :)
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Thanks David and Neil ,glad you liked them ! you,re quite right Neil ,not as many as in 19' and 20' but probably still low 100 ,s !
on show. As you probably know ,Samphire Ho is also an excellent butterfly site with Wall ,Adonis Blue ,Small Blue ,Green Hair; and a brilliant site for Clouded Yellow................Brilliant birding site also ,..... ,and Dew moth is resident...........and Wasp Spider is pretty common .......all in all a terrific site ! Regards Allan.W.

Return to “General”