Speckled Wood - Favourite Photo of 2020

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

The end of the Favourites thread is in sight but don’t be too down as with double figure temperatures forecast from mid-week on it looks like the 2021 season could soon be underway!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Just a reminder - it might be a good idea to start selecting your Overall Favourite Butterfly Photo of 2020 now as we’re starting to draw to the grand finale.

Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
Bertl

Re: Speckled Wood - Favourite Photo of 2020

Post by Bertl »

I didn’t see too many speckled wood butterflies in 2020. I managed 2 visits out to a favourite spot at Drum Castle, nr Aberdeen in July and September. There is one best photo from each visit.
Attachments
5th September
5th September
26th July
26th July
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My favourite is this rather dark individual, an ab kulczynskii
Speckled Wood male ab kulczynskii, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
downland boy

Post by downland boy »

This male Speckled Wood presented itself for a pleasing profile shot.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Speckled Wood (m) 22.9.2020  East Sussex. Nigel Kemp.JPG
zigzag_wanderer

Post by zigzag_wanderer »

My favourite was early season (26 March) in the fields behind us (.....where else !).

Their camo works well in different locations - certainly this spring hedgerow in bud.

DSC08172 (2).JPG
DSC08174.JPG
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

I am lucky to have Speckled Woods breed in my small village garden every year. Occasional larvae have even been known to enter our back porch and pupate inside the house! The fresh female below had just hatched when I went out into the back garden on 24th March last year and was drying her wings, having climbed up the side of our shed.
Speckled Wood unds.JPG
Speckled Wood.JPG
Later in August I watched this courting pair for quite some time in one of our local woods; they didn't seem to be in any hurry to pair up (male left and below). The male spent some time flicking his wings open and shut at the female as he faced her, then they rested up a short distance apart for about 5 minutes before repeating the process several times. I eventually lost sight of them as they dashed up into the canopy, hopefully to consummate their relationship.
Speckled Woods courting.JPG
Speckled Woods.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

bugboy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:30 pm My favourite is this rather dark individual, an ab kulczynskii
Speckled Wood male ab kulczynskii, Bookham Commons.
Very nice, Paul. Not sure I've ever seen one so dark. :mrgreen:
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I took all my shots of the Speckled Wood in my back garden , I'd visitors starting in April up to October, very welcome visitors because of the shut down :D Goldie :D
Attachments
F2834E74-F470-4AAE-BBC2-1C955153D7B6_1_201_a.jpeg
Stevieb

Post by Stevieb »

A good year here in my part of Wiltshire. Last seen on 1st October.
20th July
20th July
22nd September
22nd September
22nd September
22nd September
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Apparently, Speckled Wood didn't have a very good year in Warwickshire in 2020 with numbers down on the previous three years. Around my patch and in my garden I would say that they had a fairly average year although they did seem to fizzle out quite early, like most else around here.
I saw the first one on 8th April (in my garden) and the last on September 25th when I saw a few faded individuals at my local spot at Castle Hills and then a faded male hanging on in my garden later in the afternoon. Between these dates I saw them on every day that the weather was suitable, either in my garden or at my local spots and they would also usually turn up on the trips that we managed further afield.
I did not see the short gap that often occurs in early June between the spring and summer broods. Fresh summer individuals started emerging in late May whilst there were still a few faded spring examples still flying around here.

As usual, I have had trouble whittling down the many photos that I took through the year plus to be honest I am just not disciplined enough to settle for just one shot, so here is a selection from through the season;
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 12.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 12.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 16.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 16.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Wagon Lane 12.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Wagon Lane 12.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 23.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 23.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 21.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 21.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 24.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 24.04.2020
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 27.04.2020
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 27.04.2020
Speckled Wood pair - Coverdale 12.04.2020
Speckled Wood pair - Coverdale 12.04.2020
Speckled Wood male - Blythe Valley 05.06.2020
Speckled Wood male - Blythe Valley 05.06.2020
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 26.07.2020
Speckled Wood female - Coverdale 26.07.2020
Speckled Wood male - Wagon Lane 24.08.2020
Speckled Wood male - Wagon Lane 24.08.2020
Speckled Wood female - Wagon Lane 24.08.2020
Speckled Wood female - Wagon Lane 24.08.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 14.09.2020
Speckled Wood male - Coverdale 14.09.2020
The spring brood of this species usually looks brighter, with larger yellow markings, than the follow on broods but exceptions do occur and I find it to be a surprisingly variable species, especially in regard to the size and shape of the yellow markings. I am also aware that this species seems to show more darker forms as you go further north in the UK.
Later in the season, I often see some particularly dark examples around here, like the one below. I have previously seen these given named ab. status but for me these are at the dark end of normal variation.
Speckled Wood male - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
Speckled Wood male - Langley Hall 21.07.2020
Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Like Bugboy's above, Neil, that last specimen is gloriously dark...although the underside image is probably the most striking of the set - you've caught the light perfectly there.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Speckled Wood

This shot was taken at the tail end of the season at Garston Wood during a ‘Rule of Six’ walk with my folks. While we’d paused at the preferred picnic place by the fallen log a couple of Specklies tussled in the distance. There had been very few butterflies during the first part of the walk so while my coffee cooled I slipped over to the battle ground. The winner of the aerial battle came down to sit upon his thrown and that’s when I took this, my Favourite Specklie shot.
SPW 10.JPG
Have a goodun and stay safe

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Always lots of these around on my patch. It's one of those species that you 'just see' whilst looking for others.

Usually, I get a few upperwing images every year, but this time I've gone for an underside, not because it's good but because it's not something I usually photograph:
2.SWuns(1).jpg
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

This was an easy choice for which photo - this was taken on my birthday :D
Speckled Wood, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 8th May 2020
Speckled Wood, Magdalen Hill Down, Winchester, Hampshire, 8th May 2020
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Speckled Wood”