Common Blue Ab.?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
canon 6d

Common Blue Ab.?

Post by canon 6d »

Hi, I came across this CB (Male) on Portsdown Hill, Hampshire on 10/9/20, the two black dots nearest to the abdomen are very close together, it was smaller than a normal CB. I have searched NHM records plus other AB. records but cannot find anything similar. Has anyone any ideas on this. Thanks in advance, Mike
Attachments
Poss. CB Aberration
Poss. CB Aberration
millerd

Re: Common Blue Ab.?

Post by millerd »

Hi Mike,

I think that probably counts as "within normal variation", though the line between that concept and calling something an ab. is a very hazy one. A lot of "aberrations" were named by the Victorian collectors who were a little obsessive on the subject and seemed to concentrate on certain species more than others (Chalkhill Blues for example). It is actually quite difficult to give a realistic definition of what counts as an aberration and what doesn't.

With your particular butterfly, I've seen similar examples where those two spots are actually joined in a sort of dumbbell shape, so this is a sort of intermediate version.

Cheers,

Dave
canon 6d

Re: Common Blue Ab.?

Post by canon 6d »

Thanks Dave for info, i was not sure if it was an Ab. or not. Cheers, all the best, Mike

Return to “Identification”