Spider

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Peter Woodruff

Spider

Post by Peter Woodruff »

Can anyone help with a spider ID please, or point me in the right direction. I have a feeling this is a 'foreigner'.
Attachments
Egg Case EB.jpg
Spider EB.jpg
Allan.W.

Re: Spider

Post by Allan.W. »

Odd one that ,Peter ! just had a look through an oldish fieldguide ,nothing remotely like yours in it , but my field guide is from
1985 ,and i,m sure things have probably changed ,with new species (for UK ) Having probably been found over the last 35 years ,i,m awaiting delivery of
the "Wildguides " Spiders photographic field guide .............never know may be in there.
Sorry................not much help. Regards Allan.W.
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Most probably Enoplognatha ovata form ovata, Common Candy-striped spider. There is a rarer similar species that can't be excluded.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Just had a look on the British arachnological society site ,and there is a spider that is similat to yours (although not the same )
there is a photograph ,with female with an egg sac ,.....................Enoplognatha ovata (Candy Stripe spider ) if its not your spider it may be closely related ,don,t know if theres a UK ,population ,but i think is found in the US + Canada ................Have a look.
Regards Allan.W.
Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Sorry Mikhail our posts must have been at the same time ,but i also came to the same conclusion !
Regards Allan.W.
Peter Woodruff

Post by Peter Woodruff »

Quite a surprise here Allan/Mikhail, from 'an odd one that Peter', to a common little blighter in the UK.

Many thanks to you both, much appreciated. Peter.

Return to “Identification”