Swallowtail - Favourite Photo 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 18

It was feeling like the season was just about to start proper – and then the storm hit! :shock: Oh well at least there are a couple more weeks of the Favourites threads… :wink:

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Swallowtail - Favourite Photo 2019

Post by bugboy »

I spent a very enjoyable day in Norfolk on the 1st of June, starting off at the ever reliable Strumpshaw Fen, along with what seemed like every other butterflier in the country, before moving onto the somewhat quieter Hickling Fen.

These two from Strumpshaw give an indication of their non stop fluttering as they hopped from flower to flower.
Swallowtail, Strumpshaw Fen #1.JPG
Swallowtail, Strumpshaw Fen #2.JPG
At Hickling in the afternoon they were a bit more docile as they sat out in the reed beds.
Swallowtail, Hickling Fen.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Here (again) is a Papilio machaon gorganus caterpillar with its osmeterium exposed.
machaon33 caterpillar on fennel Marseille 13Sep19 (2a).JPG
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Fabulous image, Chris. We don't see that too often in the UK!
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

A piccie from Spain, in April 2019:

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
millerd

Post by millerd »

Along with many others, I visited Strumpshaw in early June. It was my first visit to this location, and the first person I bumped into was Trevor, also away from haunts further south. Trevor had acquired his own personal Swallowtail, identifiable by a small piece of damage to its wing and therefore quickly named "Nicky". This individual had set up a territory, with a favourite perch on a tall nettle in the middle, and allowed any number of close approaches including happily sitting on my finger.
SWT5 030619.JPG
SWT6 030619.JPG
SWT23 030619.JPG
SWT24 030619.JPG
Later in the day I encountered other examples, both on the flowerbed by the visitor centre and as is traditional, in the Doctor's garden.
SWT41 030619.JPG
SWT54 030619.JPG
However, the abiding memory of another terrific day was probably this...
Trevor 030619.JPG
Apologies, Trevor! :)

Dave
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

A couple of pristine specimens from northern Portugal in July

David M

Post by David M »

Stunning, dilettante.
David M

Post by David M »

I see plenty of gorganus Swallowtails every year on the continent. To my shame I don't usually pay much attention to them, but this one in the Piedmont Alps, Italy, was nectaring so avidly and was so approachable I couldn't resist:
6Swallowtail(1).jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Swallowtail

This was taken on my holiday to Portugal. It was taken at the top of the city at the ancient watch tower where I was also able to watch Long-tailed Blues, Scarce Swallowtails and Large Walls. I was chuffed to catch up with it because I’d seen various Swallowtails bombing around the squares and the Cathedral all morning. However when I did it was the most unattractive Swallowtail, missing both of its tails which left me wondering if it should in fact just be called a ‘Swallow butterfly’?

This was the best of the set of images that I got so it became the favourite. I didn’t have a lot to choose from to be honest as the apparently ‘Scarce Swallowtail’ actually seemed much more numerous?
DSC_2422 - Copy.JPG
Have a goodun

Wurzel
kevling

Post by kevling »

My offerings are from Strumpshaw Fen on 3rd June 2019. A fantastic morning spent with Patrick Barkham and other UK Butterfly members. When I look out of the window at storm after storm it seems a world away.
P1210696.1.jpg
P1210675.1.jpg
Kind Regards
Kev
David M

Post by David M »

Beautiful example, Kev. Just shows how much darker the britannicus form is compared to continental Swallowtails.

Return to “Swallowtail”