Purple Emperor - Favourite Photo 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 13

Hopefully the Christmas decorations will be down by now and we can get on with the serious business of preparing for the butterfly season ahead. I always find that the best way to beat the post-Christmas blues is to do something that you really enjoy…like looking through your butterfly shots from the previous year and choosing your fave.

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
bugboy

Re: Purple Emperor - Favourite Photo 2019

Post by bugboy »

After a couple of pretty good years at Bookham, last year was rather poor for them with just one sighting of males in the tree tops. However later in the season a female surprised me and posed (sort of) in a nearby Sallow, more than likely where several of here eggs were discreetly tucked away.
Purple Emperor female, Bookham Commons.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

Purple Emperor season tends to be a very busy time, I had a couple visits after work to look for them in Aversley Wood on the edge of my village to no avail, the only time I had free. I skipped off work for an extended lunch 17th July. As I approached the pond where I saw them last year I met a couple looking for dragonflies and another butterfly enthusiast, all be it he hadn't looked for a decade or more, after some discussion of species found in the wood the others went on their way. I stayed put, there is a convenient bench, and at 12.40 this turned up :D If only they had little more patience
Purple Emperor _0006.jpg
Better than last years pic on the pond but very high up. So pleased to have seen it though
petesmith

Post by petesmith »

My closest encounter with HIM this year...
Purple Emperor 160719.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Very nice, Pete! I always seem to miss this species......I must find a reliable location in France at some point.
millerd

Post by millerd »

A series of days in excellently sociable company down at Chiddingfold provided a variety of sightings in 2019. The butterflies were perhaps a bit thin on the ground, and also perhaps a little less cooperative, but nevertheless it was a most enjoyable few days.
PE5 020719.JPG
PE2 040719.JPG
PE5 050719.JPG
PE6 160719.JPG
One particular photo always comes to mind - this juxtaposition of little and large, with the Holly Blue taking the same interest as the Emperor in the minerals to be found on the ground.
PE+HB3 160719.JPG
Dave

Return to “Purple Emperor”