December 2019

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

December 2019

Post by David M »

December can occasionally provide opportunities for sightings if things stay relatively mild. We haven't had serious frosts yet so who knows?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: December 2019

Post by Padfield »

In sunny East Suffolk, with sub-zero temperatures at dawn and no more than 4°C in late morning, this lovely red admiral appeared in our garden, basking on the fence before, I hope, laying some eggs on our nettles later (I think it's a female, though Vanessids can be difficult):

She is a different individual from the one I photographed in the same place last Friday.

Guy

EDIT: Still there an hour later, and definitely female. She flew up and off after these pictures:

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

That Red Admiral is in good nick, Guy.
Despite the temperature difference between the UK and the south of France, my sightings are no better, and my photos are much worse :? .
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for posting those gorgeous images, Guy. Fair cheered me up it did after spending 5 minutes in the dark this morning defrosting my car! :(
millerd

Post by millerd »

A Small Tortoiseshell found indoors wide awake on Christmas Day was released into the lunchtime sunshine of a Yorkshire garden, and posed briefly before flying off strongly, hopefully to find another spot in which to complete its hibernation.
ST 251219.JPG
Dave
David M

Post by David M »

A nice surprise, Dave! :) Been pretty mild lately so it's hardly surprising butterflies are getting active in their indoor overwintering spots.

I'd quite like us to have a viciously cold week at some point, otherwise the germs and the predators will continue to proliferate. :(

Return to “Sightings”