Chequered Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2019

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 3

As the clocks have turned back and there are still several months until the Solstice the chances of seeing butterflies are declining quite rapidly – but cheer up as the Favourites thread is only just getting going!

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.
Here we got then!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
downland boy

Re: Chequered Skipper - Favourite Photo of 2019

Post by downland boy »

This is my favourite photograph of this species by virtue of the fact that it was my only encounter with the Chequered Skipper in 2019. I had timed our visit to coincide with the flight season of other species and I was fully expecting palaemon to be well past its best. Spotting this male was a very pleasant surprise. Downland boy.

http://eastsussexwanderer.blogspot.co.uk
Attachments
Chequered Skipper (m) 16.6.19 Glen Loy_ Inverness-shire. Nigel Kemp0001.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

Nice one, DB. :D

Actually got to see this species myself in 2019, during a trip to the French Pyrenees. There were only two at a roadside site in the Aude departement:
2Chq1(1).jpg
Attachments
2Chq2(1).jpg
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

I saw this species for the first time this year, and managed to see it in two countries within an hour or two, on both the Swiss and the Italian sides of the Grand St Bernard pass. These ones were on the Italian side, and were not bothered by the vigorous antics of the Swallowtail.
Dsc09218.jpg
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

We did have a trip to Scotland with Nick and Jack. The weather on the first day was perfect but it went down hill from then on
Chequered Skipper 190604 553.jpg
Not so far from home one of the first in England for a long time :D
Chequered Skipper_0006.jpg
Great project and lucky it's nearby and we could help with the counts. Looks very promising for next year.
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

Another lifer - a single individual seen at Ariundle Wood on Ardnamurchan, on June 1st. The weather all trip was pretty miserable but there was just enough brightness in the air that morning for it to open its wings. What a stunner!
IMG_4255.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

A stunner indeed, Callum. Perfect backdrop as well. :)

Return to “Chequered Skipper”