White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo 2018

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Week 19

The penultimate week of the Favourties 2018 thread has seen the 2019 butterflies start to emerge so maybe some lucky butterflies out there have already got one of their Faves of 2019 :D

Please could I ask that everyone waits until a topic has been opened by me for a particular species before posting photos as then it will be easier to keep track of things? Of course our overseas members are very welcome to fill in the obvious gaps relating to rare UK migrants. As in previous years details of locations, dates, times and circumstances would be welcome as would any accompanying stories and anecdotes or other observations of behaviour and interesting other points.

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Goldie M

Re: White-letter Hairstreak - Favourite Photo 2018

Post by Goldie M »

I saw my first WLHS of 2018 at Brockholes CP near Preston on the 27th June, the weather was very hot so I looked for the shadiest part of the Brambles and was pleased to see this one which was very active :D Goldie :D
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_b4d1.jpeg
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

So many days last year were so hot that I was returning home by lunchtime. 24th of June must have been a bit cooler I found this White-letter Hairsteak at 3.23 at Woodwalton Fen, Cambs
White-letter Hairstreak0118.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

This is a tricky critter for me. I only know of one place in the Swansea region where they can reliably be seen, and even then they never descend....

Here are two treetop images from Glanymor Park, Loughor, on 24th June:
01WLH1(1).jpg
01WLH2(1).jpg
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

My now regular WLH site in Essex didn't disappoint, in excess of 60 seen on the best day. Almost too many, just as you focused on one you'd disturb another even closer and then they'd spiral up in a brief dog fight before settling on the brambles again. Here's one of each sex.
White-letter Hairstreak male, Hadleigh Country Park.JPG
White-letter Hairstreak female, Hadleigh Country Park.JPG
Some addictions are good for the soul!
CallumMac

Post by CallumMac »

I saw a couple of distant adults of this species, but my only photos were of a larva found on the southern edge of the North York Moors near Pickering, on 24th May. Can you spot it?
IMG_5428.JPG
David M

Post by David M »

CallumMac wrote:I saw a couple of distant adults of this species, but my only photos were of a larva found on the southern edge of the North York Moors near Pickering, on 24th May. Can you spot it?
Looks to be right in the middle, Callum. Nice find!
John W

Post by John W »

This one was taken on a lunch time visit at the usual spot in Hollingbury Park, Brighton:
wl - 1.jpg
Hollingbury Park, June 22 2019, 1.19pm

Cheers
John W
David M

Post by David M »

Whilst getting close to White Letter Hairstreaks in Wales continues to prove troublesome, I had no problem seeing them close to ground level, nectaring on flowers in France, thanks to a new site discovered last summer which centred on a patch of elm trees:
3.WLHstk(1).jpg
Here is an overview of the terrain:
1.Habitat5(1).jpg
Those white flowers proved highly attractive to them and quite a few were happily imbibing allowing close approaches.
IAC

Post by IAC »

Last year was defined for me by the realisation that the newly discovered White-letter Hairstreak Scottish branch had more than likely been resident for many years. During winter 2017/18, Spring 2018 and Summer 2018 a number of new sites were discovered dotted across the Scottish Borders from Paxton in the east to Hawick in the west. Despite best efforts the surface only has been scratched and there will be much much more to find. These photos are from the colonies at Kelso which I spent a great deal of time studying last year. A very memorable year and a very highly addictive little Butterfly.
Attachments
Image3 (2).jpg
068.JPG
026 (2).JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

After coming across this species by chance in several spots in 2018, in 2019 I only saw them at that most reliable of haunts on the fringe of Hadleigh Country Park not far from Leigh-on-Sea station. As Bugboy mentioned, during their season here they number in dozens, and deciding which way to point the camera can be tricky. The orientation of the relevant footpath East-West, with the favoured brambles on either side, doesn't help photography as the insects are often either in full sun or fully backlit. A bright overcast day is probably best (as it so often is) but my visit was on 17th June, which was hot and sunny. Females (longer tails):
WLH30 170619.JPG
WLH42a 170619.JPG
WLH45 170619.JPG
Males:
WLH6 170619.JPG
another species seems to like the way I taste...
another species seems to like the way I taste...
A congregation:
WLH3 170619.JPG
Dave

Return to “White-letter Hairstreak”