essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: essex buzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

The views alone would have been worth coming up here for but, by early afternoon, the levanter began to blow itself out gradually, as more and more weak sunshine began to penetrate,the butterflies started to emerge. This, in fact, was perhaps the most enjoyable day of all. Having already chased lots of butterflies for pictures, I could just watch the performance. In the misty sunshine, the Provence Orangetips gave a cracking display,my best ever! Because it was cooler at first, they started slowly, allowing a close approach. Later, we saw several courting males,the females reacted in the usual was, rejecting their advances! It was a glorious show of yellow Orange Tips! :D

First pictures show the males,
P1590777.JPG
Attachments
P1590814.JPG
P1590797.JPG
P1590788.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Then the females.
P1590916.JPG
P1590831.JPG
And courtship.
Attachments
P1590913.JPG
P1590897.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Otherwise species were seen, including Spanish Festoons, Large White, Dappled White, Cleopatra, Painted Lady, Swallowtail, Red Admiral and Hummingbird Hawkmoth.
Attachments
P1590848.JPG
P1590845.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I think I need to go to Gibraltar next year!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

OTHER WILDLIFE

Lots of lovely wild flowers were out on the rock, including the endemic Gibraltar candytuft,but,some of which I didn't recognise. Here are a few pictures,
Attachments
P1590730.JPG
P1590728.JPG
P1590721.JPG
P1590688.JPG
P1590635.JPG
P1590555.JPG
P1590552.JPG
P1590364.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

A few good birds were seen, including migratory ones. Yellow legged gulls were everywhere, both in the town and on the rock. A couple of black kites were soaring over gaining height, before drifting off. In the Alameda gardens, Esther spotted a hoopoe and I saw two robins-one of the rarest birds in GBZ! Sardinian warblers were everywhere and, on the upper rock, blue rock thrushes were seen. Birds of prey were kestrel and peregrine. Swifts were abundant over the town.
Attachments
P1590854.JPG
P1590549.JPG
P1590509.JPG
P1590472.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Didn't see any snakes in GBZ, but plenty of lizards were about,both on the edges of the roads and on the rocks. Here are a few pictures,
Attachments
P1590937.JPG
P1590850.JPG
P1590605.JPG
P1590319.JPG
P1590318.JPG

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Really excellent pictures, Buzzard! I love the shots with male and female Provence orange tip together.

You haven't mentioned lesser kestrel. Now when I lived on the Rock, back in the 80s, lesser kestrel bred on the North Face and was far commoner than kestrel. If you have any kestrel pictures it would be worth checking ...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

So that's it from GBZ. We had an early flight home, but great memories of the fantastic time we had there. Bug boy,I would recommend an early spring trip there to you,and anyone on UKB! A great way to get the season started,enjoy some sunshine, and as we have seen, see some great stuff! :D :D :D

Guy, we only saw one kestrel, though we saw it on a couple of days. As a migratory species, it's possible lesser kestrels haven't arrived yet.
Attachments
P1590958.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Mark, you've really surpassed yourself (and everyone else) with those Provence Orange Tip images. Those will prove difficult to improve upon for, as you know, this is a difficult species!!

Sometimes, it's those days that dawn badly that prove the best of all, as butterflies waken slowly from the adverse conditions giving rare approaches that one doesn't normally see.

To put all that guff into perspective, all I'll say is I'd have paid £100 to have members of that species so docile in front of me. I'm sure you know exactly what I mean.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I know exactly what you mean, David. Moments and memories like these are priceless. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic set of shots Essex - those Provence OTs are to die for :mrgreen: And Blue Rock Thrush has always been on my birding wish list :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

When I got back from Gibraltar, my first port of call was to visit the woods, where I found the wood anemones at their glorious peak. These tiny,simple flowers give one of the most spectacular shows that wild Essex has to offer. But this carpet of white lasts just a few short weeks, all too soon,they are gone.
Attachments
P1590993.JPG
P1600032.JPG
P1600026.JPG
P1600019.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

That is a truly beautiful sight, mark. It almost looks like snowfall.

We have plenty of wood anemone near me but nothing like the carpet you've got there.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thank David. I got back from GBZ just in time. With the warm weather recently, they have gone over even quicker than usual!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Good to see the carpet of Wood Anenomies, Mark.
I have just returned from Wiltshire, and was amazed to find some white Primroses growing wild.
Fortunately one plant was found in my Daughter's garden, and is now in a pot at home.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

Just catching up on you trip to Gibraltar, look like a fascinating place. I love those Provence Orange-tips and great job capturing the pair in flight :D

I also love the look of that carpet of anemones, like something out of a fairy tale setting :D

Cheers,

Neil

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

ORANGE TIPS!

Last Wednesday I visited Wheatley woods Rayleigh. A new planted wood, the wide grassy paths are great for spring butterflies. Lots of Commas and Peacocks were here, as well as several firsts.

Just a couple of yards in, I saw my first British Speckled Wood of the year. Saw three in total, including a nice female.
P1600071.JPG
P1600099.JPG
P1600107.JPG
Further along,I found what I really wanted-my first Orange Tip! A week ago, I was watching yellow Orange Tips in Gibraltar. Now I was watching the white ones! In the event, several were seen patrolling the edges of these young woods,all males. They made my day!
P1600117.JPG
P1600127.JPG
P1600140.JPG
A few other whites were seen, but only one landed long enough for a picture, my first Green-veined White of the year. A fabulous afternoon!
Attachments
P1600121.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I know what you mean Essex - there is nothing quite like that flash of white and brilliant orange for brightening up a spring day :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hill house wood, near Colchester,is one of the best wood in Essex-maybe even the country-for bluebells, which are now at their glorious peak. Amongst the carpet is stitchwort , wild garlic and a scattering of early purple orchids, including a few white ones. Nightingales sing here, and Holly Blue and Orange Tip were seen on the day. April is early for bluebells, normally they peak in May.
Attachments
P1600372.JPG
P1600336.JPG
P1600315.JPG
P1600309.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”