Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Maximus

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic array of variety and forms Mike - a 'blind' Small Blue, Blue Badger Copper, really Blue female Blue and to top it all a Large Skipper tree :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

She was a real stunner, David :D but it was difficult to get a good open wing shot due to the strong wind which kept forcing her to close her wings :roll:

Thanks,Trevor, I like the term Wurzelesque :D the Cream Spot Tiger is amazingly well marked on the underside.

The Isle of Black has it all, Wurzel :D especially the Large Skipper tree :D :wink:

This lovely migrant was seen on the potted Valerian on our patio, 'twice' today :shock: :D

P1250477.JPGResize.JPG

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A very enviable image Mike. Can't tell you how many times I've tried to get a shot like that .... and failed miserably :mrgreen:

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Agreed. A great sighting and excellent image.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking shot Mike - did you use Sports Mode? Even then getting something like that mighty difficult :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Pauline, I've always failed before too :roll: it was a slower moving individual :wink:

Thanks Mark, it was nice to see it in our garden, a first for us.

Cheers, Wurzel, it was in 'lucky' mode :shock:

2ND June

Today we decided to visit MHD as we had not been there since 2015.
In near perfect weather conditions we were surprised to find far fewer butterflies than we’d expected. The most abundant species were the Small Blues, but even they were not in the numbers we’d seen in previous visits to this site.

P1250399.JPGeResize.JPG
P1250545.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1250607.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
Small Blue eggs - I think?
Small Blue eggs - I think?
P1250633.JPGResize.JPG

Common Blues were a bit thin on the ground too, but, on a positive note, we did find this lovely female..

P1250440.JPGResize.JPG

We did, however, see our first Meadow Brown of the year..

P1250604.JPGResize.JPG

And were pleasantly surprised by our first Dark Green Fritillary of 2017..

P1250547.jpgB.JPGResize.JPG

So all was not lost. Perhaps the June gap is coming to an end!

millerd

Post by millerd »

I think you could be right, Mike - a DGF sighting definitely heralds the end of the "gap"! :)

Dave

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A splendid set of images Mike, especially the Small Blue egg-laying, and yes, those are definitely Small Blue eggs :D Tiny, aren't they?!

David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:I think you could be right, Mike - a DGF sighting definitely heralds the end of the "gap"! :)

Dave
Absolutely....and that 'gap' is about to be obliterated given the magnificent weather conditions forecast for this weekend.

Normal service (perhaps extraordinary service) is on the cards!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I obviously need to invest in a new camera Mike - which models feature 'Lucky Mode'? :lol: Great to see such lush Small Blue shots :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

For various reasons it’s been a while since my last diary entry. I have however been able to keep up to date with other PD’s and through these witness the ebb and flow of the season.

Although our butterfly trips have been restricted, we did manage to spend a few days at the end of July down in Dorset. Our visit coincided with some typical English summer weather (wet and very windy) but we were fortunately able to make the most of the dry spells between showers.

As we were staying near Weymouth we decided that on our first day we would head to Portland, to Tout Quarry in particular, to which we had paid a brief visit in 2016. The great thing about Tout is that there are plenty of nooks and crannies where it’s possible to get out of the wind.

Walking in from the car park I very quickly spotted a nice, fresh looking Chalkhill Blue, but it was hunkered down in the grass to escape the wind. When it did fly it was blown quickly away and out of sight, so we set off to find a more sheltered spot. Running in from the cliffs there are a series of deep gullies full of nectar sources; Valerian, Hemp Agrimony and Buddleia, and here we found numerous butterflies. There were a large number of male and female Chalkhill Blues on the wing which were particularly fresh.

P1250872.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1250879.JPGResize.JPG
We found a few mating pairs including this stunning looking pair
We found a few mating pairs including this stunning looking pair
This male was taking water from the wet grass
This male was taking water from the wet grass
P1260116.JPGResize.JPG
P1250940.JPGResize.JPG
P1260084.JPGResize.JPG

There were also some nice fresh Common Blues.

P1250900.JPGResize.JPG
P1250958.JPGResize.JPG
P1260203.JPGResize.JPG

During our visit we found one Silver-studded Blue, a male which looked very fresh.

Only one shot before he vanished
Only one shot before he vanished

And a handful of Small Blues.

P1260207.JPGResize.JPG

We didn't find any Adonis Blues, a bit too early perhaps.

Our trip to be continued..

David M

Post by David M »

I love that first Chalkill, Mike. It's posed beautifully in perfect light.

Will look forward to your next instalments.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

Great selection of blues from Tout Quarry :D
Maximus wrote:... at the end of July down in Dorset...
...We didn't find any Adonis Blues, a bit too early perhaps...
Late July would be right between broods for Adonis, too late for first brood and too early for second. I have always found late August/early September to be good for second brood Adonis in Dorset although I believe they are on the wing a bit earlier in the south-east.

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

As Neil says, a great selection, Mike. There can be very few spots in the UK where you would see those four species of Blue together. :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great set of shots Mike especially as David said that beautifully posed Chalkhill :D That Silver-stud is also very fresh for that time of year :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, David, the Chalkhill Blue did pose perfectly and the light was just right to show it's lovely pale blue sheen.

Thanks, Neil, Tout Quarry is a great place to visit :D I suppose that I hoped the second brood Adonis might be much earlier this year :?

Cheers, Dave, I've not seen those four species of Blue together before, but I guess there must be one or two other spots where this can happen :?: :)

Cheers, Wurzel, we were also surprised at how fresh the Silver-stud was, given the date of our sighting :o :D

....our Dorset trip continued.

After Chalkhill Blues by far the most abundant species we saw at Tout Quarry were Grayling, they were everywhere. Obviously the terrain is ideal for them and I have never seen them in such numbers at any other site, it was just great to see so many! Just a few shots of those taken.

P1250910.JPGResize.JPG
A mountaineering job was needed for this shot, after which I slid slowly down the rock face!
A mountaineering job was needed for this shot, after which I slid slowly down the rock face!
P1250936.JPGResize.JPG
P1260190.JPGResize.JPG
P1260197.JPGResize.JPG
P1260118.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG

Our Dorset trip to be continued...

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I understand now why I haven't seen you both all season - you've been exploring further afield and some great shots too :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking set of Grayling shots Mike :D :mrgreen: , you're showing off Dorset in a great light :D 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks, Pauline, and there's still time for us to bump into you :D

Cheers, Wurzel, Dorset is a great, shining light :D 8)

...our Dorset trip continued.

While we were on Portland we also had a look around Broadcroft Quarry. It’s a much more exposed site than Tout, so it was open to the strong South Westerly wind. It is bordered on one side by a new housing estate and a Quarry access road on the other, although there was further habitat on the other side of the road. We were however reluctant to explore this as we could hear regular explosions which we guessed was due to the mining of Portland stone and we found no site information signs.
We were aware that the Lulworth Skipper is supposed to fly on Portland but we had not seen any at Tout and a wander around Broadcroft did not reveal any to us either. The site was however covered in a beautiful array of wild flowers and lots of Buddliea which were attracting plenty of butterflies, including, Common Blue, Small Blue, Wall, Painted Lady, Red Admiral, Peacock, Green-veined White, Large White, Small White, Small Skipper, Gatekeeper, Marbled White, Small Copper, Ringlet and Hummingbird Hawk moth.

P1260297.JPGResize.JPG
P1260326.JPGResize.JPG
P1260039.JPGResize.JPG
P1250897.JPGResize.JPG
P1260106.JPGResize.JPG
P1260080.JPGResize.JPG
P1260143.JPGResize.JPG
P1260151.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
P1260212.JPGResize.JPG
P1250938.JPGResize.JPG

Our Dorset trip to be continued...

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More fantastic shots Mike, I thought that Wall was lush and then the enxt shot down is the two species Marbled White/Painted Lady - brill :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D Keep em coming :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”