Neil Freeman

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: nfreem

Post by David M »

Great Hairstreak images, Neil, and that woodland ride is to die for.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see you've gotten your Grizzlies, Dingies and Greenstreaks - cracking shots too Neil :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Some fantastic Green Hairstreak's there Neil! The last one is a real corker :D

B'saurus

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Yep, that last shot is one of the best Greenie images posted this year. Lovely!
BWs, Neil

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for all the great comments, they are all very much appreciated :D

Dave, the Green Hairsteaks have only been out for a few days at Ryton and I believe that the first Dingy Skipper was reported there yesterday so you should be good for next weekend if the weather gods are kind.

Monday 5th May

Yesterday (Sunday) was a family day with my daughter and little grandson around for Sunday dinner and with some pleasant hazy sunshine in the afternoon we spent some time in the garden where I saw the usual Orange-tips, GV Whites and Specklies flitting about.
I also had my first definite Large White this year, all the ‘possibles’ that I had seen up until then, on a closer look, had proved to be female Brimstones.

Today I had permission to use some ‘brownie points’ and go out somewhere and so I decided to head for the Wyre Forest where I had seen reports that Pearl-bordered Fritillaries had been on the wing for a few days.
I arrived at the Forestry Commission car park at Dry Mill Lane just before 10.00 and set off for a wander along Dowles Brook. There was a fair bit of cloud about and a cool breeze but the sun was making some valiant efforts to break through and when it did it felt quite pleasant. I looked in the meadows at Knowles Coppice and by Coopers Mills, seeing a few Speckled Yellow and Common Heath Moths but no butterflies yet.
I did however manage to get a decent photo of a Speckled Yellow Moth; all my previous attempts having grass stems all over the place.
Speckled Yellow Moth - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
Speckled Yellow Moth - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
I then carried on up the path past Coopers Mill and started to see a few Orange-tips and Speckled Woods plus, along some stretches of path, plenty of Green Tiger Beetles.
Wyre Forest - loads of Green Tiger Beetles along here.
Wyre Forest - loads of Green Tiger Beetles along here.
Green Tiger Beetle - Wyre Forest 05.05.204
Green Tiger Beetle - Wyre Forest 05.05.204
I also found a Glow-worm larva crossing the path in front of me which I watched as it ambled across and into the undergrowth.
Glow-worm - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
Glow-worm - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
Wandering along a bit further I was pleased to find what I was looking for, a nice male Pearl-bordered Fritillary.
Pearl-bordered Fritillary - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
With some reasonable spells of sun breaking through I then re-traced my steps back to the meadows along Dowles Brook where I now found plenty of Orange-tips and Green-veined Whites plus a couple of Peacocks, Commas, Speckled Wood and Brimstones. In the meadow by Coopers Mill I was pleased to find my second PBF of the day.
From here I then took the path up to the old railway line to check out a couple of spots where I have seen PBFs in the past and found at least 3, possibly 4, more at the one spot.
Pearl-bordered Fritillaries - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
Pearl-bordered Fritillaries - Wyre Forest 05.05.2014
By mid-afternoon the clouds were getting thicker and greyer and with a freshening breeze I decided to wander back to the car and head for home. The PBFs are just getting started here and there were none at all yet in a couple of the best spots. If I get the chance I would like to go back again in a week or two.

Bye for now,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great to see you got your PBF's Neil, cracking shots :D I too managed to get out a couple of times but now face the task of sorting all the photos :roll: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely photos again, Neil. I was discussing this very spot with my eldest son yesterday, though he is more interested in the steam trains on the SVR... I shall pray the forecast changes for next Saturday, but I think we'll go to Ryton anyway - many thanks for the info.

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cheers Wurzel, I see from a couple of other posts that you had a good day at Bentley Wood, looking forward to your photos.

Hi Dave, I could hear the whistle from the SVR in the distance a few times on my wanderings, that and the various birdsongs, including Garden Warblers and a Cuckoo, made for a great backing sound to the day :D

Cheers,

Neil.

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Hi Neil, Just seen that Green Hairstreak shot. Ab. Brilliant!!!!

David M

Post by David M »

You spent those 'Brownie Points' wisely, Neil.

If all wives and partners have to worry about is their spouses going off to photograph nature's most beautiful insects then I don't think they really have much to complain about.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Superb Green Hairstreak photos in your previous post Neil :D great Pearl-bordered Fritillaries too :D

Mike

EricY

Post by EricY »

Neil your walk to the Mill & meadows was more than I could mange after 350 miles drive from Scotland, had to stick to the railway line on Sunday. I would have liked to see the Tiger beetles & gloworm larvae but did see the Speckled Yellow moth. Eventually saw approx a dozen PBF's around Bugle. Approx. 150yds after where the path from visitor centre crosses the railway line, well worth the long detour on my way back to Norfolk from Scotland. Eric

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Lovely Pearl shots Neil but I am more interested in your Glow-worm actually. What a great find - I'd love to see one of them :mrgreen:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Many thanks for all the comments from everybody, particularly regarding the Green Hairstreak :D

Hi Eric, I know the spot you mean along the railway line, past the visitor centre. That is where I saw my last ones on Monday but by the time I was at that spot dark clouds were gathering and the 3 or 4 that I saw there soon disappeared up into the trees. I reckon numbers should build at the Wyre over the next couple of weeks...given a few decent bits of weather in between the rain that is :roll: .

Hi Pauline, that Glow-worm was only the second one that I have ever seen, the first was at Prestbury Hill a couple of years back and I had to look it up to find out what it was :)

Friday 9th May

Since Monday the weather has been very 'mixed' with heavy showers and blustery winds, until yesterday which was the worse day of the week with almost non-stop rain all day. Today was better and by the time I finished work at lunchtime there were some decent sunny spells although there was still a blustery wind. After running around a bit this afternoon I got back home at about 4.00pm and went into the garden to chill out for a while.
During the next hour or so I watched the usual Orange-tips, and Green-veined Whites coming and going, although it must be said that with the blustery wind it seemed sometimes more a case of them being blown in and out of the garden rather than controlled flight. Some of these are now starting to look a bit worse for wear with marks and damage that makes identifying individuals much easier. This has enabled me to confirm that I do in fact often see the same individuals coming around again and again which is something that I had been wondering about.
There are still some reasonable looking examples about however which I took a few photos of whenever they managed to find a spot out of the wind.
Orange-tip - Coverdale 09.05.2014
Orange-tip - Coverdale 09.05.2014
Green-veined White - Coverdale 09.05.2014
The first wave of Specklies are also looking a bit worn now. The female below spent some time nectaring on the forget-me-nots which are in the more sheltered part of the garden.
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 09.05.2014
Speckled Wood - Coverdale 09.05.2014
As if to back up my comments in an earlier post about Forget-me-nots being worth having for attracting butterflies, I had another Holly Blue on them this afternoon :D
Holly Blue - Coverdale 09.05.2014
Shortly followed by a second one, confirmed as a different individual by the damage on the hindwings.
This one wouldn't open his wings before he flew off, still, can't have everthing :wink:

The forecast for the weekend is for a bit of everything apparently including more heavy rain showers. Guess I will just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Bye for now,

Neil.

David M

Post by David M »

You did well to see any butterflies today, Neil. Tomorrow looks set to be appalling and the entire weekend is likely to be a write-off.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Hi Neil,just catching up with your PD,looks like you've had a great couple of weeks. Some fantastic photo's too. I've had a good fill of Pearls this year,after complete faliure last sping,and i've seen many more Orangetips,too. :)

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great garden report Niel - and those Holly Blue shots are brill :D :mrgreen: I'm secretly quite glad that the weather is going to be bad this weekend as I have to rip down yet another ceiling - so I can earn plenty of Brownie points and not miss out on anything :D I hope you manage to get out in amongst the showers :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That is a great Holly Blue shot Neil (second one down). I just love it :mrgreen: I think they are a difficult species to get a good photo of but you have definitely managed it - and in your own garden too :D :D

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photo's Neil, the weather here has been awful, but you've managed inspite of it to get some great shots :mrgreen: :D Goldie

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi David, sounds like your forecast was much worse than ours which was on the button with showers, blustery winds and a few sunny spells.
Cheers Essex, just caught up on your diary, looks like you had a great time. I really must try and visit Cornwall in the Spring sometime.
Thanks Wurzel, I did manage a brief foray out to a local spot this afternoon between the showers, very windy though.
Hi Pauline, glad you like the Holly Blue. I have noticed that they seem to follow a set patrol route around the gardens so once I have seen one, sooner or later it will be back.
Sorry to hear you have had such bad weather Goldie, I don't think it has been quite so bad in the midlands.

Cheers all,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”