Bugboys mission

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Butterflysaurus rex

Re: Bugboys mission

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Good to see you again today Buggy, we tried to find you and say farewell but you were nowhere to be seen.

Best Wishes

James

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Butterflysaurus rex wrote:Good to see you again today Buggy, we tried to find you and say farewell but you were nowhere to be seen.

Best Wishes

James
Haha, sorry, I was wandering far and wide and left around 4ish in the end, no LTB's for me either though :(

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

2nd October, Tide Mills

Another trip down south on what turned out to be a very pleasant day (despite the nightmarish journey to and from courtesy of Southern Railways).

Within a couple of minutes of arriving I heard a couple of voices calling my name, B’rex and Badgerbob pointing out a grounded Clouded Yellow which I promptly spooked :oops: . I made up for it though by quickly finding Bobs lost glasses :D .

Butterfly life in general was rather thin on the ground, an occasional White fluttered by but in the distance I could see a lot of activity, Sid the Shrike was still doing his thing and being a complete tart in front of his adorning public! Amongst today’s set of fans I was introduced to Mark Colving.
IMG_0007.JPG
Between all of us though no LTB’s were to be found. Several Red Admiral flew by, mostly southwards although the odd one was flying north for reasons best known to itself! After saying my goodbyes to Mark (and losing track of the other two) my wanderings found a female Cloudie feeding whilst a flock of Curlew flew over, heading in the general direction of Brighton.
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0065.JPG
I had to wait another half hour before I found another settled butterfly, this time a rather lovely female Comma who was very reticent to fly.
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0135.JPG
My wanderings always took me back to Sid and his fans. I chatted to a few and some had come a fair distance for him. I did find it a little amusing how some were wearing full on camouflage gear and were sporting some impressively huge lenses and there was me with my puny macro in ‘normal clothes’ getting pictures like this of him. He'd decided to perch on this shrub as I walked past it and barely acknowledged my presence as I got to within 5 feet. This picture is uncropped!
IMG_0183.JPG
The only reason I couldn't get closer to him because the shrub he was perched on was in the way :lol:

Sid is actually still in his Juvenile plumage and so in theory we’re not able to tell what sex he is just yet but my gut feeling is that he is a ‘he’. He has been seen to be singing on occasion (or at least trying to) and some of the more distant shots I’ve seen there does seem to be a hint of greyish head about him. Off course I could be completely wrong about him/her but he will always be Sid to me :) . It was good to see him again, not realising at the time that this was his last day here, kind of poetic to have enjoyed his company on his first and last days here :)

To end the day another Cloudie, this one a different male from the one I spooked at the beginning of my day, settled near me when a cloud passed over the sun and a very fresh Red Admiral perched nearby, perhaps waiting for tomorrow to start the journey south.
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG
The season may be winding down but it’s not quite over yet!

trevor

Post by trevor »

Went over to Tide Mills today. The Shrike has departed. Lot's of Birder's on site, but no one saw anything.
Pleased you saw some Clouded Yellows yesterday.

Trevor.

Butterflysaurus rex

A nice report of an enjoyable day Buggy, I hope your journey home was a lot less troublesome. No problem at all spooking the Cloudy, we'd already moved on from him to embark on a glasses hunt. Well spotted by you, I'm just glad we didn't tread on them whilst searching!

Even though the LTB's have been elusive your discovery of the Shrike made Tidemills the place to be for many a wildlife enthusiast. I'm glad that your first sighting of a Long-tailed Blue wasn't in the beak of this very hungry carnivorous bird!!

Best wishes

James

millerd

Post by millerd »

More nice Clouded Yellows, Buggy. :) They are the one thing missing from round here at the moment - maybe one more expedition beckons... :)

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Cloudy shots Bugboy and of 'Sid' - a name that works for both genders (Sidney(m) or Sidonie (f)) :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Shame about the LTB's, Bugboy, but Clouded Yellows are decent compensation.

Looks like you are having a better end of season than most.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've enjoyed following Sids escapades on here and various other websites James. Since he found it such a good hunting ground I wonder if it will be a regular stopping off point for him in future years?

I think you might have time to fit in one or two more expeditions before the weather closes in for the winter Dave :)

Thanks Wurzel and David, gotta squeeze in what you can at this time of year, maybe one more day for me what with a run of six days at work from Thursday :(

4th October, Tottenham Marshes

A little afternoon jaunt to one of my local spots that I haven't been to since April. With temperatures beginning to wane as the season comes to a close I wasn't expecting too much but when you got out of the stiff breeze the sun felt really rather warm. Despite this the Nymphalids seem to all have vanished, just one brief flyby of what was probably a Red Admiral.

There were however still several Whites flitting here and there, mostly unidentified but one male Small and a female GVW settled close enough so I didn't go home with nothing to show.
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0007.JPG
IMG_0012.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
Dragonflies were out in force, Common Darters looking rather faded but still full of life
IMG_0031.JPG
and several Migrant Hawkers hawking. I spent quite a while attempting some in-flight shots of the Hawkers which mostly turned out to be blurred blobs but the odd one came out ok-ish, certainly better than anything else I've managed in the past. I like the second one here since although it slipped out of focus (auto focus really struggles to keep up with these things) it does show how they keep their heads parallel to the horizon when turning
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

5th October, Bookham

Another sunny Autumn day beckoned me out the house today and off to Bookham to see how the Coppers are doing. In fact I saw my first butterfly of the day within 20 mins of leaving the house, a Red Admiral fluttering around Hackney train station at 7am with the sun just poking over the horizon. I did briefly consider whipping out my camera but there's a time and a place for this sort of thing, and a busy rush hour platform isn't really it... :oops:

There was a heavy dew at Bookham and still a distinct chill in the air but a few hardy Coppers were already on the wing, presumably having chosen roosting spots that caught the morning sun, and were warm enough to require careful stalking to get close.
IMG_0006.JPG
IMG_0013.JPG
Slow wandering along the hedges produced another one every so often, not as many as seven days ago but still enough to make it the second best Small Copper count for a fair few years, by the time I left around 2pm I’d probably got up to around twenty individuals, still with some fresh jewels amongst the faded, aged insects.
IMG_0023.JPG
IMG_0028.JPG
IMG_0031.JPG
By 12 the temperature had got very pleasant, especially when out of the brisk wind, and these last two hours was when I found the majority of them, mostly staking out patches of south facing Blackthorn hedges to make the most of the low sun.
IMG_0035.JPG
It was whilst watching this pair of males fighting over a small patch of choice hedge I spotted a female skulking around nearby, getting very excited about a small Sorrel leaf which already had an egg on it.
IMG_0042.JPG
IMG_0048.JPG
Closer inspection of this leaf when she fluttered off found it to be peppered with eggs on the underside. A little searching and two further leaves were found to be as equally as popular as well as eggs found on twigs and grass stems close to the leaves. In the end I found more eggs than adults!
IMG_0050.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
IMG_0082.JPG
I did see other butterflies, three or four Red Admirals saw me long before I saw them and vanished along with a single Comma and a couple of Speckled Woods were flitting in sunny glades in the woods, but it was the Coppers day again.
IMG_0095.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0129.JPG
IMG_0163.JPG
Not bad for the first week of October.
IMG_0169.JPG
Hide and seek!
Hide and seek!
watching me watching you!
watching me watching you!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great Coppers Bugboy :D - that was quite a haul of eggs I wonder what the success/conversion rate is like?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Bugboy
I have to agree with Wurzel, that is a magnificent haul of Small Copper eggs :D. I have yet to see one. Is that a typical number of eggs per leaf?
Small Coppers seem to be putting on an unusually good show this Autumn though they were a bit elusive around here last weekend. Glad you are still finding plenty :D.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Wurzel wrote:Great Coppers Bugboy :D - that was quite a haul of eggs I wonder what the success/conversion rate is like?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I'm not sure what the success rate would be in this case, they will most likely go into hibernation shortly after hatching if what I read is true so I'm not sure how easy it would be to keep track of any. Maybe worth a few visits to see if I can find any signs of activity in the spring though.
jackz432r wrote:Hi Bugboy
I have to agree with Wurzel, that is a magnificent haul of Small Copper eggs :D. I have yet to see one. Is that a typical number of eggs per leaf?
Small Coppers seem to be putting on an unusually good show this Autumn though they were a bit elusive around here last weekend. Glad you are still finding plenty :D.
They really are amazing to see, proper little marvels of nature :) .

To quote Thomas/Lewington page 106: Later Broods almost invariably choose small, sprouting sorrels that are growing in warm, exposed positions, often selecting plants with no more than two or three little leaves... there is no doubt that small, fresh sorrels can be peppered with Small Copper eggs after a good summer. Frohawk describes finding an extreme example with 'over 300 eggs and many young larvae upon very small plants of sorrel growing on a dry bankin a space of 15 or 20 yards'

No quite as extreme in numbers and no larvae but other than that small detail it pretty much perfectly describes what I found :)

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

12th October, Bookham

Another few hours at my home from home today. It wasn’t as sunny as the last few days but in the few sunny patches that did appear I was graced with the presence of a couple of Coppers. Just two males seen today but I’m sure more were lurking in the pastures and scrub.
IMG_0008.JPG
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
The main reason for today’s visit though was to see how the eggs I found last week were doing (hopefully not munched on by the cows currently working away here) and to see if any had hatched. It didn’t take long to relocate the patch, with Sorrel leaves still peppered on both sides with eggs and turning over the largest leaf I found my very first wild Small Copper larvae :) . With my naked eye it just looked like a tiny pale green smudge and it wasn’t until I looked at the pictures on my camera that I could see the bizarre hairs down its back, like it’s wearing some false eyelashes :lol: !
IMG_0066.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG
It took a little wander, probably due to my attentions, and ended up posing next to an unhatched egg. (I checked on it before leaving a few hours later and it had settled down again along the midrib of the leaf).
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
How many eggs can you see? (clue, double figures)
How many eggs can you see? (clue, double figures)
I did spend a bit of time looking for Brown Hairstreak eggs as well but most of the Blackthorn is still in leaf so perhaps in a few weeks’ time I’ll have better luck. I did come across this Dark Bush-cricket Pholidoptera griseoaptera, serenading a couple of females who were lurking nearby in the undergrowth.
IMG_0126.JPG
It was as I was preparing to leave that a tiny white speck caught my eye on a leafless stunted Blackthorn sucker. A Brown Hairstreak egg in the same spot I saw the female fluttering around two weeks previously.
IMG_0169.JPG
A rather productive few hours in the middle of October :)

Butterflysaurus rex

Your Copper cat is a great find! I hope most of them survive, we're long overdue a good Small Copper year. Especially round these parts.

BW's

James

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Great photos, very interesting :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find here Bugboy :D Great description of the false eyelashes :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Tremendous find, BB, particularly given how minuscule it is.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thanks All :) had I not noticed the female ovipositing the previous week it's highly unlikely I'd have noticed the eggs, never mind the little larvae!

For those who are interested here's that picture again with all 21 eggs labelled, admittedly some are mere out of focus smudges tucked away behind stems but they are there, honest :D
IMG_0152.JPG

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Nice images Bugsie, you've really got your nose to the ground.
I wish I could do the same.
Chris

Return to “Personal Diaries”