Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Trevor

Post by bugboy »

Nice set of yellows there. Looking like quite a good year for them this year :)

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
millerd

Post by millerd »

Very nice Clouded Yellows, Trevor. :) I shall be tempted down to Sussex soon unless they get a move on northwards soon! I've only seen the one hereabouts this year! :mrgreen:

Dave

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave and Paul,
Clouded Yellows are reasonably easy to photograph at Park Corner.
If directions are required please PM me.

Trevor.

trevor

Post by trevor »

On BBC Breakfast this morning it was reported that there has been a sharp decline
in the numbers of Small Coppers.
They thought that an image of a Small Tortoiseshell would do, to show what a Small Copper looked like.
Oh dear!! : :( :shock:

Trevor.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, it was okay on Sky New's, they showed a Small Tortoiseshell and said it was these that were scarce :lol: Goldie :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Thats nothing, in the Daily Mail for the same story they have a picture of a Plain Tiger Danaus chrysippus

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

P1270609.JPG
After Friday's success with the Clouded Yellows, I thought a return visit could be worthwhile.
Indeed it was !, I arrived quite early, just as the cloud cover was clearing.
The Fleabane was already quite busy with Butterflies, many offering good photo opportunities.
It was the Clouded Yellows that I had come to see, but I could not ignore a fresh Green Veined White
or the Common Blues , Small Heaths etc.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1270613.JPG
P1270612.JPG
P1270615.JPG
P1270617.JPG
P1270616.JPG
P1270611.JPG
P1270610.JPG
P1270618.JPG

millerd

Post by millerd »

Lovely Yellows, Trevor. They love that fleabane! :) I'm not quite so :mrgreen: today as I found some up at Aston Rowant this afternoon! :D

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking Cloudies Trevor :mrgreen: A really good looking specimen too :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Yesterday afternoon I visited Mill Hill, near Shoreham in West Sussex.
This site has a good population of Adonis Blues. We found them OK, but in the heat they were lively
and to make matters worse they were flying over a very steep hillside.
Lots of patience was required and a few images were obtained, the best of which shows two pristine
females basking close together. The best male , has unfortunately, a nick out of one wing.
Also seen, a basking Meadow Brown, some Common Blues, and a Small Tortoiseshell with very vibrant colours.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1270624.JPG
P1270625.JPG
P1270622.JPG
P1270621.JPG
P1270626.JPG
P1270619.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

This morning I went to Steyning for the addictive Brown Hairstreak. The wait for one to show was painfully slow,
just one put in an appearance, and afforded me my favourite underside image to date.
Neil Hulme came along, and I showed him the image, and said " she looks like a 9 out of 10 ", he initially agreed;
then shock horror he demoted the Butterfly to an 8. I was deflated and demoralised at such a savage appraisal !,
so much so I asked him if his weekend went OK :lol: .
In fact the above was just a bit of jolly banter. :D .
On the way back to the car I found a beautiful female Brimstone.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1270655.JPG
P1270656.JPG
P1270653.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Nice Small T !

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Trevor,

Some great Clouded Yellow photos there :mrgreen: :D , I've not seen any up here yet.

Cheers,

Neil.

Art Frames

Post by Art Frames »

Trevor,

Very nice Brown Hairstreak. Mine are from Dorset and are either above head height with a long lens or just one butterfly at knee height but it had wing damage.

So I'd give your at least a nine.

Peter

Peter - Art Frames
A few photos on Flickr
trevor

Post by trevor »

Many thanks for your comments folks. It looks as though Clouded Yellows might be heading up the M40 Neil.

I returned to Rowland Wood this morning to see if any more Clouded Yellows had arrived.
Unfortunately the reverse was true, as I witnessed one take off from the ground and fly off into distance,
over the tall trees and not seen again.
However a very bright male Common Blue caught my eye, it's colour was the deepest, richest blue I have ever seen.
As is always the case, it hopped to another flower as I was preparing the camera, then nectared with wings closed.
I did manage a shot of wings partially open, which gives a glimpse of the rich blue.
The next treat was in the form of a very mobile Painted Lady. for many minutes this Butterfly would only settle in
the most inaccessible places, but patience won the day and some shots were obtained.
Finally as I was about to head home I noticed a Clouded Yellow on the Fleabane, looking at previous images this was
a new specimen , I had not previously seen.
Attachments
P1270704.JPG
P1270705.JPG
P1270707.JPG
P1270708.JPG
P1270709.JPG
P1270710.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Trevor, great shots of the Butterflies, I can't believe it when I see all the lovely Butterflies posted that we're not seeing any thing in the North, I hope they keep coming up the M40. :D Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Trevor :D I can see why you rated the Brostreak so highly although I like the three quarter open shot slightly more :mrgreen: Nice Painted Lady as well - you can see the blue spots inside the black spots on the hind wing, I still haven't seen on of those :mrgreen: :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That's quite an array of species you've seen lately, Trevor. Things have become rather 'dead' in my part of the UK, but it's nice that some people are still seeing reasonably fresh Meadow Browns and, of course, Clouded Yellows.

trevor

Post by trevor »

I did not deliberately set out this morning to look for Meadow Browns, however a visit to Downland above Lewes
produced many hundreds. Amazingly all those present, without exception, were female. Where were the males ?.
Identification was easy as many were basking, or nectaring on the abundant Scabious, with open wings.
Many have said that this year has been poor for Meadow Browns, but today I stumbled upon a hotspot.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1270758.JPG
P1270757.JPG
P1270756.JPG
P1270754.JPG
P1270755.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

A few unexpected breaks in the cloud this morning was all the encouragement I needed for a Butterfly hunt.
Unfortunately , as I approached the coast, a dense sea mist had rolled in. The damp, muggy air did not stop
the ' Whites ' from flying, indeed the flying Whites did not stop !.
However I did find some very fresh Small Heaths and a very late Gatekeeper.

Trevor.
Attachments
P1270797.JPG
Note the tiny eyespot.
Note the tiny eyespot.
P1270798.JPG
P1270799.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”