Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Katrina

Post by David M »

Ah! Haven’t I seen that pupa elsewhere?

Fabulous that you got to see such a rare stage, Katrina, and that’s a particularly striking Wall Brown image too, by the way.

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Fantastic shots lately Katrina, I follow your posts with interest if I don't do a lot of commenting :D The Scotch Argus at Arnside Knott weren't too good this year, it seems strange, Scotland has such colder weather than the Lake District and yet you found such stunning Argus there, lets hope they pick up at Arnside next year and it was just caused by the hot Summer.
Also that's a great shot of the Wall Brown :mrgreen: :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

more of the same

Post by Katrina »

I visited Mill Hill on Wednesday and this morning. It was a pleasure to meet Trevor, Dave Cook, Millerd and Bugboy on Wednesday.
Today on the Hemp Agrimony about 10 am there was one Painted Lady , one Peacock and one Common Blue. On the lower slopes were seen a Clouded Yellow, Common Blues, Small Heaths ,Wall Browns and a mating pair of Meadow Browns.
The Peacock Pupa is still there and a return to the Hemp Agrimony showed an extra Peacock and a Red Admiral.
Attachments
DSC05237.jpg
DSC05248.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking shot of the Painted Lady Katrina :D and also the very famous pupa :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, that's a lovely photo of the intricate underside of that Painted Lady, Katrina - I missed out on a good one of those. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

I like the subdued hues of your Painted Lady image.
Mine were too bright and harsh, from last Weds.

Trevor.

David M

Post by David M »

I'm really hoping that pupa doesn't get predated and that a beautiful, late season Peacock butterfly will successfully emerge.

Keep us posted, Katrina.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, Trevor, Millerd and David.
Sadly Vince has posted a photo showing a hole in the other side of the pupa on the sussex website so it looks like it had already been predated before I took my photo. :?
It was still good to see though.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

At Mill Hill today I saw Wall Browns, Small Coppers, Common Blues, Clouded Yellows, a white, Small Heaths, Meadow Browns and 4 Red Admirals. I also saw a Devil's Coach Horse with an unfortunate caterpillar.
Attachments
DSC05310.jpg
DSC05317.jpg
DSC05365.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

That's a good couple of shots of that Devil's Coach-horse, I imagine it made short work of that caterpillar! I was there in the morning and managed 10 species. left at around half 12. Still a few fresh looking butterflies around and with this weeks forecast it should still be worth an amble or two :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Just missed you then, I arrived at 12.30. Was good to see so much still around.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely looking Red Admiral Katrina :D :mrgreen: Great shots of the Devils beetle - it's prey is almost as big as it :shock:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That Devil's Coach Horse is a grisly looking critter, Katrina. I think I'd have turned away personally.

Nice Red Admiral though. I haven't seen too many of them myself lately.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I went to Mill Hill for just over an hour late afternoon. On the Hemp Agrimony was one Comma and one Red Admiral. Seen at the rest of the site were Clouded Yellows, Common Blues , Brown Argus (I think) Small Heaths and Meadow Browns.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2514.jpeg
DSC05385.jpg

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Almost certainly the same Comma I saw there earlier in the afternoon and yup, Brown Argus. Again I would bet a large sum of money that female was also the same one I saw, she was a beauty too! I left just after 3 after peaking at 11 species!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Probably just missed you Paul, I arrived about 3.15. Looking forward to your photos.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I would have lost my bet there Katrina, my female looks to be a different one!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely fresh looking Brown Argus Katrina :D :mrgreen: And that Comma looks particularly resplendent :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Wurzel, the Comma was certainly the star of the day.

Interesting Paul, must have been 2 that emerged on the same day then.

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Very nice Katrina. I would say it's the same Comma I saw there on Sunday, but reading BB's comment maybe not! Hemp Agrimony corner really has been providing some wonderful up close views. :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”