Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Hoggers

Re: Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Today I went a part of Dungeness that I've rarely visited but have had in mind for some time as potentially a prime Small Copper habitat:Dengemarsh.

I drove part way down Dengemarsh Road, parked then slowly made my way down to the sea, investigating the ditches and verges. It's a fascinating place
IMG_9982.JPG
And sure enough it has its population of Small Coppers
IMG_9922.JPG
IMG_9927.JPG
IMG_9934.JPG
IMG_9939.JPG
I found them in little pockets of 2-3 individuals or in singles occupying large areas of territory
IMG_9956.JPG
IMG_9944.JPG
IMG_9957.JPG
IMG_9958.JPG
IMG_9961.JPG
I counted 51 Small Coppers there today
IMG_9966.JPG
IMG_9972.JPG
IMG_9976.JPG
IMG_9980.JPG
Much of my time was spent following females ( as in my hobby, so in my life..! )
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG
This lady was carefully investigating the very tiniest of young Sorrel leaves and then bringing down her abdomen onto them
IMG_0024.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0032.JPG
This plant was rejected after much investigation but then she moved on to what looked to me to be a most unpromising stub of a plant and there she laid a single egg
IMG_9991.JPG
IMG_9994.JPG
IMG_9997.JPG
Well done, you!
IMG_0047.JPG
Lots of Dragonflies about in this location and I saw many Meadow Browns, Small and Large Whites and a single Clouded Yellow passed through but I was most pleased to have spent more time with the Small Coppers
IMG_9985.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

My plan today was to brave "The Desert of Dungeness".

But before venturing out into that Forbidden Zone I dropped in on radiata
IMG_9868.JPG
He was exactly where I left him on Thursday. It appears that some male Small Coppers (of which this radiata is one) show very set territorial behaviour, sticking to one defined location for many days, whilst other males are more mobile and wander about from brief territory to the next.

Today I noticed that there's been a changing of the guard in that now female Small Coppers are far more in evidence than before, often more than males, and that now although I saw a few testosterone fuelled skirmishes
IMG_0065.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
I saw far more examples of males pursuing females or of egg-laying females. I guess this signals the latter stages of the brood.

Here's a typical pursuit and you will see the uninterested female shaking her hind wings and strutting along ahead of the luckless male like an inflated Turkey
IMG_0121.JPG
IMG_0122.JPG
IMG_0123.JPG
IMG_0125.JPG
IMG_0127.JPG
IMG_0128.JPG
As for "The Desert"
IMG_0168.JPG
I counted 126 Small Coppers and saw many egg-laying females. Here's a closer look at the terrain
IMG_0159.JPG
with Sorrel leaves poking up through the lichen and a female toddling along over it.

Then either laying eggs or going through the motions
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0148.JPG
The landscape looks so forbidding you can easily wonder how anything could survive out there, but Small Coppers evidently do!
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0117.JPG
IMG_0115.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Feeling somewhat singed and parched after my adventures in "The Desert" and in need of greenery and cool shade I stopped off on my way home at Orlestone Forest where I saw many Ringlets and also my first White Admirals of the season
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0182.JPG
IMG_0185.JPG
Such a contrast to Small Coppers!

And I enjoyed watching them flying together, showing a delicacy quite alien to my Dungeness friends.I tried taking some snaps - they're awful, but I like them because the White Admirals seem to become more impressionistic creatures of light and air than of substance
IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0201.JPG
IMG_0202.JPG
IMG_0207.JPG
But of substance they most certainly are, as this individual, which had found a nice pile of poo, clearly demonstrates
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0220.JPG
Not quite Fairy Spirits after all!
IMG_0221.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hello again Hoggers,
We were at Dunge ourselves today,and I think I saw you yomping across the desert ,from the road you parked up and just went!, I was going to call out but you,d gone,we found the Radiata in the moat(without asking Dave Walker, I like a challenge!),I just do not know how you manage an open wing shot when they shut their wings almost as soon as they land,what with that and the wind!as you say a very pugnacious individual,striking out at anything that flew by,including Large Whites,many others about as well + several Brown Argus Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I was probably in a hurry to get myself a drink after 3 hours chasing Small Coppers in The Desert!

I'm glad you found the radiata, Allan, it's a very special butterfly

Best wishes

Hoggers

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the radiata Hoggers :mrgreen: But what's all this...posting shots of White Admirals :shock: I must have been heat stroke :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Wurzel, that radiata was very special, only the second I've ever found.

As for the appearance of White Admirals in my diary, it was just a phase I was going through - I'll be back to normal soon...!

Best wishes

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

This morning at Dungeness started off rather dull but soon the sun was getting past the clouds and out came the Small Coppers
IMG_0280.JPG
Although some are now very tired looking most are in their prime
IMG_0246.JPG
I was delighted to come upon this beautifully marked female
IMG_0253.JPG
with her lovely big paint brush dabs
IMG_0254.JPG
Indeed we are at that stage of the brood when it's the females you notice the most. Here's a gorgeous blue badge female
IMG_0257.JPG
She'd found a rather inaccessible place to rest and I had a difficult time trying to get in position to take a photo without disturbing her
IMG_0267.JPG
There were quite a few blue badgers about
IMG_0240.JPG
They are always a treat to see.

On my walk I counted 105 Small Coppers
IMG_0287.JPG
IMG_0327.JPG
Lots of punch ups between the males and other butterflies
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0329.JPG
And talking of other butterflies I saw 4 Painted Ladies, 2 Common Blues and 12 Brown Argus.

What I was most interested to see was some Small Copper behaviour.

There are many females about so I got to see them brushing off the attentions of males
IMG_0312.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG
IMG_0314.JPG
It's when the female adopts the strutting Turkey pose, quivering her hind wings while keeping her fore wings straight up, that the male gets the message that he is not wanted
IMG_0315.JPG
IMG_0317.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG
IMG_0322.JPG
IMG_0323.JPG
Most males then seem to suddenly freeze as if completely non-plussed. They will sit motionless for some time and then just as suddenly they'll resume their frenetic activities.

A fascinating little butterfly
IMG_0339.JPG

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Hoggers,
Your beautifully marked female is Ab; Extensa I think ? Regards Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I think you're right, Allan! The specimens on the Cockayne website certainly look very much like it

Thanks for the ID

Best wishes

Hoggers

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Your dedication to Small Coppers as paid off, you've got an ab :lol: I should be in Kent next weekend for two weeks so I'll try to visit Dungeness, with my family, hope the Small Coppers may still be there. Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

They certainly will be, Goldie! I'm sure you will see plenty. I'm always delighted to stumble upon the odd ab here and there but the "ordinary" ones keep me entertained, especially watching what they get up to!

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on butterflying in Kent

Hoggers

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Before taking my usual walk at Dungeness this morning I stopped off in nearby Greatstone to investigate some likely Small Copper haunts
IMG_0353.JPG
It wasn't long before I started to find them
IMG_0372.JPG
They were far more thinly spread than, for example, by the Observatory but I'd soon counted 18
IMG_0407.JPG
and had watched a female crawling around looking for a suitable Sorrel leaf on which to lay her eggs.

I then made my way to Dungeness where the first butterfly to make itself known to me was a Painted Lady
IMG_0371.JPG
During my visit I saw six of them and all were in beautiful condition.

I resumed my Copper Hunt
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0394.JPG
IMG_0398.JPG
IMG_0412.JPG
and brought my total for today up to 86.

I sat down to have my lunch beside one Copper in particular
IMG_0419.JPG
I'd noticed that he had a very well defined territory so over my marmite and banana sandwiches I watched him. He strongly favoured the pebbles as his watch point and from here he launched his attacks upon every butterfly that came past. As there were many Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Skippers this meant that he was very busy indeed!

Now and again he'd flit up to a near by grass stalk
IMG_0416.JPG
or other plant and perch there waiting for an intruder
IMG_0426.JPG
But I got the impression that he preferred to be lower down on the pebbles as the breeze meant his high perches were unstable!
IMG_0424.JPG
So active was he that I decided to test him: I took a piece of crust from my sandwich whilst he sat on a pebble and gently lobbed it over his head. Sure enough, he flew up to intercept it!

What's not to love about Small Coppers?!
IMG_0428.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

My plan for today was to look for Small Coppers in part of the Dungeness Desert that I have not visited so far this year.

I made my way out to the proud memorial for two Polish spitfire pilots who gave their lives for us in the Battle of Britain
IMG_1178.jpg
Brave men.

From there I went into the Forbidden Zone
IMG_0550.JPG
I don't think much can live out there but Small Coppers certainly do. Here's a photo to show their world
IMG_0546.JPG
Dungeness is basically a dune system of pebbles held together by lichen and (what's good for the Coppers) Sorrel
IMG_0548.JPG
It's a tough environment for anything (including butterfly enthusiasts!) but then perhaps Small Coppers really don't need very much to thrive.

I noticed an increasing number of worn individuals
IMG_0444.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG
IMG_0555.JPG
But many still in fine fettle
IMG_0456.JPG
IMG_0472.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG
I watched several males either unsuccessfully pursuing females or launching themselves up from their pebble watch towers and striking out at any intruder
IMG_0557.JPG
Ever vigilant
IMG_0480.JPG
And today I saw two males perform a little exercise that I've seen others carry out in the past: they will flit up to a grass stalk or some other kind of plant then slowly walk down it head first whilst quickly patting their feet against the stem
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0484.JPG
They seem to be investigating the plant as if for signs of females. They'll then return to standing guard
IMG_0530.JPG
My Small Copper tally for today was 119.

I also saw 8/9 Painted Ladies all in tiptop condition as well as several Brown Argus.

David M

Post by David M »

Hoggers wrote:

My Small Copper tally for today was 119.
:shock:

That's amazing, Hoggers. I doubt I've ever seen even a fifth of that in a single place on one day.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

119 Small Coppers and that was just in part of a very big area, David.

I've been trying over the season to visit as much of Dungeness , Dengemarsh and Greatstone as I can and it's clear that there are very many Small Coppers here indeed!

Hoggers.

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I think the entire UK population has migrated to you this summer. I've seen 2 this year which is the worst for me in recorded history! I'd never see as many as you but I should be into double figures well before now! 30 or 40 in a season would be a good year for me.

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a fantastic number of Samll Coppers Hoggers :shock: :mrgreen: - any ideas on why the habitat there is so good for them?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I was wondering about their environment too like Wurzel, in your photo's it looks like there's not much there, is it just the Lichen they like Hoggers,? What other Butterflies are there, I know you love the Coppers but if I get the family to go I may have to put a show on if you know what i mean :wink: Goldie :lol:

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Goldie and Wurzel, it looks more like the surface of the moon than Kent but when you get there and look carefully it's a carpet of Sorrel. The Sorrel grows small,perhaps as a result of the environment ( nothing grows very big there) but it pokes up through the pebbles and lichen just enough for the females to lay their eggs on.

So what with there being lots of the Copper's food plant and the fact that it's a nature reserve
, the Coppers do well ( and I think Coppers prefer rather barren places anyway ).

There are other butterflies : Painted Ladies, Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals, Brown Argus, Common Blues, Gatekeepers, Meadow Browns,Whites and often Clouded Yellows, so plenty to see - as if Small Coppers aren't enough!!!

Best wishes

Hoggers

Return to “Personal Diaries”