Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Last night another 3 PH eggs hatched and this morning I was privileged to watch yet another emerge. The first thing I noticed was how much darker it seemed than the BH larva, the latter being almost translucent. It also took a great deal longer to emerge from the egg - approximately 2 hours. At one point I (ever so slowly and carefully) turned the jar slightly for a better view and it immediately withdrew again into the egg presumably sensing the movement. Whilst taking a photo I saw another creature through the lens, somewhat smaller than the larva and much, much faster. I can see now from the photos that this creature was present for quite some time, showing considerable interest in the newly emerged larva, which seemed disconcerted by its presence. I don't know whether there was more than one and/or even whether all my collected Oak branches are host to this insect. I do not know what it is or whether it is predatory. I appreciate it is tiny and the photos are not at all clear but if anyone can shed any light on this I really would be very grateful as I fear my larva is at risk. About half of these eggs are from my local patch so I feel quite protective of them. Lots of photos below as it is unlikely I shall ever record this again.
P1240693ad.jpg
P1240710ad.jpg
P1240728ad.jpg
P1240737ad.jpg
P1240738ad.jpg
P1240739ad.jpg
P1240744ad.jpg
P1240751ad.jpg
P1240755ad.jpg
As close as I can get to aid ID of insect - some sort of aphid perhaps? ... but it was very fast moving:
P1240739as.jpg

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Pauline

Excellent news to see you have had multiple emergences :D And you have even managed to photograph both types of emerging larvae, well done :D It is great to have several diaries detailing this topic so we can all compare notes. Nothing happening at my end so far :(

I can not help with your unidentified guest. I think if it were on my Oak twig I would be a little concerned :shock: but there again if it is a predator it is all part of the natural order of things. I look forward to the next instalment :D

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
Glad the cats are doing well - great photos too. The intruder looks like some kind of Springtail (Collembola) to me but I am no expert - lets see what others say.
Good luck and look forward to attending your releases later in the year
Mark :D

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Brill shots Pauline :D I saw the little critter and thought "Springtail?" and then I read Mark's comment so I'd go with that for an ID. As far as I can remember they're herbivores/detritivores so your cats should be fine - so long as they're not too cryptically marked, and it is a Springtail :wink: Try poking it with a twig and it should flip itself away.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your comment Paul - I expect it won't be too long before you see some action at your end and be sure to let us know as soon as you do :D

Mark/Wurzel - how do you guys know all that stuff???!!!! I really hope you are right. As for poking it with a twig Wurzel, I can't even see it without a magnifying glass and 2 pairs of specs :lol:

So far I have managed to keep a list of which eggs are where and when they hatched but I am not sure how long I shall be able to maintain this. What I do know is that whilst routinely checking the plants this morning I spotted signs of feeding on a leaf which led me to one of the cats. This is the cat labelled MPL (Mike's plant left) which hatched 3 days ago. I am astonished at the rate it is growing:
P1240803ad.jpg
P1240813ad.jpg
So far 7 out of 12 BH emerged and 8 out of 12 PH.

Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Hi Pauline

I'd be careful of that little critter as it is fast moving and the head end looks quite wasp like. Perhaps catch him and move him elsewhere just to be on the safe side.

Cheers Paul

Post by Pauline »

Hi Paul - great to hear from you again and thanks for the warning. I must admit that my first instinct was to get rid of it (somehow) but it was so small and so fast I could only see it thru the zoom and then it disappeared into the buds. I was concerned as the cat seemed to perceive it as a threat either veering away from it or rearing up at the front end which I failed to capture with the camera. I can only hope that my cats are not all doomed and try to remain vigilant but have yet to see any subsequent PH cats. Another close-up below:
P1240758ads.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Some superb shots,Pauline. You've moved into a world of micro-photography that I haven't attempted yet :)

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I really appreciate that Mike. If my photos have improved slightly it is surely a result of 2 factors - firstly, your continued and repeated insistence that I should use a tripod :lol: and secondly, Maximus suggesting I use the timer on my camera. Just to prove that my tripod is now always at the ready, and not just for my camera, my parrots who are never caged have found their own use for it:
P1240791d.jpg
Update on eggs: I am currently watching the last of my 12 BH eggs hatch as I type. I have so far located 3 of these cats including the one I shot earlier hatching (VP3 - Vince's plant 3rd down) which I shall post as soon as it is downloaded from the camera.

10 out of 12 PH eggs have hatched to date but sadly no cats seen apart from the one I saw emerging.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Like Wurzel I am now getting behind with my diary thanks to all these cats. Today I have been looking for MPL who went AWOL during the night. I think I have managed to track him thanks to the trail he has left which led me to the leaves at the very end of the branch. They appeared to be 'stuck' together but with the sun shining on them I could clearly see the outline of a cat moving around. A close up view revealed some white silky strands keeping the leaves sealed and my first thought was that some predator had trapped my cat and he/she was distressed. I began to prise the tiny leaves apart very slowly and gently but the cat did not seem to appreciate this and it suddenly occurred to me that perhaps it is in the process of a moult. I took a couple of shots which aren't as clear as I'd like but are included for the record and I shall just wait and see. This cat must be 4-5 days old now and I am not sure when this happens for the first time.
P1240870ad.jpg
P1240871ad.jpg

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline - following your other photos I have revised my thoughts about the 'visitor' from being a springtail to It being some sort of braconid wasp - as pointed out by Paul - which are parasitoids that lay their eggs in butterfly and moth eggs and caterpillars :twisted:
Judging by your description of the cats reaction it knows it too. I think you will struggle to remove it as this group are amongst some af the smallest insects on earth - it seems much smaller than the 1st instar PH larvae - fingers crossed that the cats are sufficiently streetwise and defend themselves at all times!
Like the parrot - mine always preferred my head :D
Good Luck

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

After my last post several things happened. The leaves containing the cat were quickly sealed up again. The last BH which I had been watching emerged:
P1240899ad.jpg
P1240903a.jpg
I think I am pushing my camera to its limits now!

The colour and behaviour of one of the other cats I have been watching (I have located 5 BH ctas now) changed. He became a more conspicuous colour, not as well camouflaged, stopped eating and remained motionless on his leaf:
P1240882ad.jpg
P1240887ad.jpg
After your warning Mark I have been keeping a close eye on the PH as I am sure you are right - and yes, it was less than half the size of the cat. I am frustrated as I feel powerless and very concerned for the cats. I had seen no sign of any larva until I spotted one returning to his chosen bud yesterday:
P1240880ad.jpg
P1240881ad.jpg
I have not checked on activity yet this morning but it was interesting to note that this cat took just over an hour to eat his way through this:
P1240817ad.jpg
P1240830ad.jpg
P1240838ad.jpg
P1240849ad.jpg
P1240860ad.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I am not sure what is happening here. Impatient as always I thought my cat had been in his leaf cocoon for long enough (2 days). I wasn't sure if he had died in there or whether he had been predated but I thought this was way too long to shed such a tiny skin and emerge bigger and bolder. I had read the excellent report produced by Vince on the early stages of this butterfly but it did not include any reference to this type of behaviour. I gently teased open the sealed leaves and was able to see the cat in his silvery web, looking much darker and a great deal bigger. At this point I thought I had better leave well alone but during the day he has been emerging from his web and then retreating back again. In a short space of time he has changed from a very dark colouration to a very light colour.
P1240938ad.jpg
P1240945ad.jpg
P1240954ad.jpg
I am wondering if anyone else has experience of this? I have another 2 cats which have now made themselves a similar leaf cocoon and I shall not disturb these, merely record how long the process takes.

I sincerely hope the cats are not canibalistic as 2 of my BH are coming increasingly close to each other and their is quite a difference in size:
P1240939ad.jpg
I have now located 6 BH cats but still no PH and the remaining 2 eggs have not yet hatched.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pauline wrote:I am not sure what is happening here ...
I could be wrong, Pauline, but that looks like a moth larva to me (in the silk web).

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You've thrown me into a panic now Pete. You have way too much experience to be wrong but the formation of that web coincided with the disappearance of one of my largest cats. Likewise on a second plant from a totally different source :shock: I haven't noticed any 'odd' cats during my scrutiny but as this is a first would I even notice the difference? What do you suggest I do? Presumably these are more predators? This is not so much fun anymore :cry:

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Pauline wrote:You've thrown me into a panic now Pete. You have way too much experience to be wrong but the formation of that web coincided with the disappearance of one of my largest cats. Likewise on a second plant from a totally different source :shock: I haven't noticed any 'odd' cats during my scrutiny but as this is a first would I even notice the difference? What do you suggest I do? Presumably these are more predators? This is not so much fun anymore :cry:
Don't panic, Pauline!

You've probably had a micro moth lay an egg or two on the blackthorn, and the larvae are now feeding up. I doubt they would be a threat to your Brown Hairstreak larvae, since most larvae aren't cannibalistic. I'm sure your larvae are still in their early instars and burrowed deep into the leaf bases. I think you just need to be patient; your larvae will reappear in their own time!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

One of the things you notice when looking for wild brown hairstreak larvae is just how many other creatures feed on blackthorn! It would be very surprising if you had no other residents and as Pete says, you certainly shouldn't panic! Just think of yourself as Noah ...

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Looks like you have an unexpected "twofor" Pauline :D Looks like you'll have to get into Moths now :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for this Pete. I shall try to calm down, honestly :wink: but tho' I have many virtues :lol: , sadly, patience isn't one of them.

This monster larva has wrapped itself in some more leaves Guy. It is very tempting to remove it but curiosity has got the better of me and I shall be interested to see what it turns into.

You reckon this is the thin edge of the edge Wurzel :?:

Thankfully I can still count 7 BH and several are at a stage where I can see them easily with the naked eye and have happily abandoned my hand lens. I am assuming that this one has just moulted:
P1240971ad.jpg
I took this opportunity of a couple side by side to show the differences in size - and several are even smaller:
P1240976ad.jpg
The PH are still causing concern as 6 days since the first ones hatched and only one brief sighting. However, I am seeing more of these :evil: :
P1240978a.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Don't let things throw you into a panic, Pauline. Remember that nature will follow its own course and, even if it's not what you were looking for, it will still be marvellous :)

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”