Janet Turnbull

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
bugboy

Re: Janet Turnbull

Post by bugboy »

Janet Turnbull wrote:
bugboy wrote:Looks like a Lulworth to me Janet :)

I'm also wondering whether your last Small White is actually a Southern Small White?
Pleased you think it's a Lulworth! But I'm afraid the difference between the Small White and the Southern SW escapes me :?
Yes your Lulworth has the distinctive 'sunburst ray' pattern at the tip of her forewings. I'm not sure about the Small White myself but the black tip to the wing looks quite extensive and if I'm reading Guy Padfields guide right :?: the hindwing black spot looks right.... I defer to the experts though.

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

As Bugboy has said a definite Lulworth (I go for crescent moon over sunburst :wink: ) although I'm surprised you didn't pick those up when you were at Corfe Castle - I've seen them in the NT car park there and in the castle as well as at Ulwell :D Enjoying your other foreign species. :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Janet Turnbull

Alpujarras part 2:The Elephant Hill

Post by Janet Turnbull »

The original plan for the day was to walk around the white villages above Pitres, but since everyone in the group had done this on a previous visit, it was changed to a walk on the Elephant Hill (so called because of its shape) on the opposite side of the ravine.
It proved very fruitful for everybody.
A very handsome Bath White was followed by a Skipper which Bugboy identified as a male Lulworth
P1370333 Bath White.jpg
P1370336 Small Skipper.jpg
A female Common Blue
P1370357 Common Blue female.jpg
P1370493 Common Blue.jpg
a Marbled White with a damaged wing and another which was the only shot I managed where its wings were open. Partly concealed, but it looked slightly different from the Marbled Whites I have seen at Pitstone. (Spanish marbled white, Melanargia ines - thanks, Padfield!)
P1370359 Marbled White2.jpg
P1370428a Different Marbled White.jpg
After crossing the 'Roman Bridge' I was delighted to find a Queen of Spain Fritillary
P1370363 Queen of Spain fritillary1.jpg
P1370443a Queen of Spain fritillary.jpg
Another Mallow Skipper and an armoured ground cricket (I think).
P1370372 Mallow Skipper.jpg
P1370386-poss. Armoured ground cricket.jpg
It was definitely the Day of the Spanish Gatekeeper, for there were dozens flitting around and nectaring.
P1370425a Spanish Gatekeeper upperwing.jpg
P1370391 Spanish Gatekeeper underwing.jpg
I was lucky to get a shot of this Sardinian Warbler
P1370393 Sardinian Warbler.jpg
and almost immediately a very late Spanish Festoon
P1370407 Spanish Festoon.jpg
A Moth (thanks to Bugboy for identifying it as a Yellow Shell)
P1370412 Moth.jpg
and an extraordinary Oil Beetle which looked as if it was pulling along its own personal tanker - in fact it excretes a smelly oily substance if threatened.
P1370422a Oil Beetle.jpg
The afternoon was rounded off with a Small Copper
P1370435a Small Copper2.jpg
a Wall Brown (Large Wall Brown - thanks Bugboy)
P1370445a Wall Brown upperwing.jpg
a Grayling
P1370466a Grayling.jpg
and a Long-tailed Blue.
P1370476a Long-tailed Blue.jpg
Last edited by Janet Turnbull on Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

Andy Wilson

Post by Andy Wilson »

Beautiful! The Bath White and Queen of Spain remind me of holidays abroad spent many decades ago. Happy days!

Janet Turnbull

Alpujarras 3: Mountain High - Borreguiles

Post by Janet Turnbull »

P1370516-s.jpg
P1370517-s.jpg
We were taken by minibus to Capileira and then by a 'mountain goat' National Park bus to the Alto de Chorillo. From there we walked to the mountain refuge for coffee and then climbed a little, reaching just under 7,000 ft before making our way slowly downhill, watching mainly for birds but also loving the flowers. There were not so many butterflies about, apart from some tiny four-spotted black ones which I think may be either Eurrhypis pollinalis or Anania funebris. It seemed to like the clumps of legumes.
P1370585 Tiny butterfly.jpg
The altitude seemed to suit this gecko
P1370621 Gecko.jpg
and the Northern Wheatear
P1370532 Black eared wheatear-(1).jpg
I was informed there were Fritillaries to be seen, and here they are, although not quite what I had expected:
P1370549-s fritillaries.jpg
A Queen of Spain fritillary gave me a much better shot of its underwings than I had managed previously
P1370620 Queen of Spain fritillary.jpg
and towards the end of the day I saw a Painted Lady
P1370639 Painted Lady.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Janet, this is a most unexpected but welcome surprise. Some lovely natural residents you have captured there.

For the record, I too err towards Southern Small White, although the spring brood isn't as heavily marked as the summer one so I'm not 100%.

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Wurzel wrote:As Bugboy has said a definite Lulworth (I go for crescent moon over sunburst :wink: ) although I'm surprised you didn't pick those up when you were at Corfe Castle - I've seen them in the NT car park there and in the castle as well as at Ulwell :D Enjoying your other foreign species. :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel
I did look for them, Wurzel - but they must have been hiding!
Janet

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Some lovely images there Janet, those Marbled White are definitely not the species we get in the UK. There's several other species dotted across Europe, someone with more experience with those species will undoubtedly be able to name them.

That skipper labelled as Small, looks like another Lulworth to me, a male this time and your unidentified moth looks like a rather pale washed out Yellow Shell moth.

Also your Wall Brown is a Large Wall Brown form adrasta (according to Guy Padfields website :) )

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Wow! Janet, what a traveler you are :D Great sequence of Butterflies too, looking forward to seeing more :D Goldie :D

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

bugboy wrote:Some lovely images there Janet, those Marbled White are definitely not the species we get in the UK. There's several other species dotted across Europe, someone with more experience with those species will undoubtedly be able to name them.

That skipper labelled as Small, looks like another Lulworth to me, a male this time and your unidentified moth looks like a rather pale washed out Yellow Shell moth.

Also your Wall Brown is a Large Wall Brown form adrasta (according to Guy Padfields website :) )
Thank you, Bugboy! I agree, having compared the image online, it does look like a yellow shell moth. I probably had the wrong white balance selected on the camera. I will amend my descriptions accordingly, along with the male Lulworth and the wall brown.

Janet Turnbull

Re: Alpujarras 4: Woodland habitats

Post by Janet Turnbull »

How did this happen? I was logged in, loaded my draft which consisted only of the subject and first line, spent 2 hours writing up - pressed Preview and wow! I'm not logged in any more and it all disappears :( Shame the story can't be saved as you go along without having to actually submit.
Anyway, let's try again. I'll Submit from time to time and then edit to continue.

Taken by minibus to Pitres and then walking from Pitres through chestnut and encina (oak - the national tree of Spain) forests. In the woods we spotted many birds and flowers, but no butterflies other than a Speckled Wood which was so much more orange than our British variety it took me a while to realise what it was. Once out of the woods we followed the watercourses which provided lovely habitats for all manner of wildlife.
P1370813 woodland-s.jpg
P1370733 Jose's shower-s.jpg
P1370746 watercourse-s.jpg
P1370725 Speckled Wood.jpg
First off was a pair of Southern Brown Argus (Aricia cramera - thanks Padfield!)
P1370672 Brown Argus pair-1.jpg
and then a Marsh Fritillary beckeri form (thanks, David M!)
P1370686 Marsh Fritillary2.jpg
P1370711 Marsh Fritillary.jpg
More in the sun and less in the shade were Small Heath (David M corrects me here - it's a Meadow Brown but 'might be Dusky Meadow Brown. It has that 'stonewashed' look to the hindwing underside'.)
P1370693 Small Heath.jpg
and a Hummingbird Hawkmoth caused a lot of excitement
P1370707 Hummingbird Hawkmoth1.jpg
I was thrilled to capture a Blue Spot Hairstreak which posed beautifully for me
P1370715 Blue Spot Hairstreak1.jpg
and then spent a while chasing down this Clouded Yellow
P1370736 Clouded Yellow.jpg
I was delighted with the Moroccan Orange-tips
P1370749 Moroccan Orange-tip2.jpg
P1370750 Moroccan Orange-tip.jpg
P1370846 Moroccan Orange-tip.jpg
and the Long-tailed Blue which, when I checked the photo, was in the process of laying an egg although unfortunately the egg is hidden from view
P1370785 Long-taailed Blue laying egg.jpg
I had been disappointed to miss a Swallowtail but then a Scarce Swallowtail arrived and spent some time nectaring on lavender
P1370794 Scarce Swallowtail on lavender-s.jpg
P1370800 Scarce Swallowtail2.jpg
Meanwhile the rest of the party had moved on, leaving me and Peter concentrating on the Swallowtail. When we looked up there was nobody in sight and it was a while before contact was made by phone and we were reunited!
Another Wall Brown (Large, I think, although much more orange on its upper hind wings than the examples I have seen online)
P1370826 Wall Brown.jpg
followed by some gorgeous Common Blues
P1370829 Common Blue1.jpg
P1370830 Common Blue2.jpg
P1370844 'Brown' female Common Blue.jpg
P1370851 Female Common Blue.jpg
Finally I saw this lovely fritillary which I think is a Knapweed Fritillary - but as with all of my sightings, I'm open to correction.
P1370837 Knapweed Fritillary.jpg
Last edited by Janet Turnbull on Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I agree with tho others Janet. Lovely images of gorgeous butterflies - very cheering on this overcast day :D

Janet Turnbull

Alpujarras 5: Wetlands and Time to go home

Post by Janet Turnbull »

The fifth day we were taken to what the guides called 'Wetlands' but they had really struggled to find anything that approximated to what we think of as wetlands. It was quite good for birding but not for butterflying, and it was so hot that even the birds were taking shelter.
The one insect to cause excitement was a stick insect, which was a good four inches long
P1370906 insect frenzy-s.jpg
P1370908a Stick Insect.jpg
and my attention was also caught by a goatherd taking his flock for walk
P1370914 Goats with goatherd-s.jpg
Final Day
Our flight on the last day was not til late afternoon so Alan and I had time for a final wander from the back door of the villa (on which a Large White was roosting), straight onto the old olive terraces.
We saw a Southern Marbled Skipper
P1370931 Southern Marbled Skipper1.jpg
Grizzled skippers
P1370941 Grizzled Skipper1.jpg
P1370944 Grizzled Skipper2.jpg
another Wall (which I don't think was Large)
P1370951 Wall1.jpg
another Clouded Yellow
P1370961 Clouded Yellow (m).jpg
and a Brimstone
P1370947 Brimstone.JPG
Altogether a superb holiday, and not such a shock to the system to come home - it was sunny here too!

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Like you, Janet, I've sometimes lost a connection in the middle of posting. Nowadays, I do my write-up in 'notepad' first and then copy and paste the text into the website. You can use the 'Save draft' button to save the text, while you check for editing.

I enjoyed reading the diary of your trip :)

Mike

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Goldie M wrote:Good luck for tomorrow Janet, don't think the weather will be too good but you never know, I was up at Arnside Yesterday it was awful to start with then turned really nice later, if you see any Northern Brown Argus let me know. Goldie :D
In the end I didn't go, Goldie. I contacted Tom Dunbar who reckoned it would be a long trek for very uncertain returns. I'll go when the weather improves.

Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

MikeOxon wrote: Nowadays, I do my write-up in 'notepad' first and then copy and paste the text into the website. You can use the 'Save draft' button to save the text, while you check for editing.

Mike
Good idea Mike. I'll do that!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

janet, that's what I call a fantastic holiday and what beautiful photo's you took of fantastic butterflies, don't bother about the Dukes you'll easily meet up with them next year, may be I'll see you at GB on the 12th of August, I was thinking maybe they might bring that forward with the Butterflies coming out sooner, I must remember to check, Goldie :D

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Janet. Sorry to join the party so late! :D It looks as if you had a wonderful holiday in Andalucía.

Your marbled white is a Spanish marbled white, Melanargia ines. Your small white, however, is just that - a small white. I can see why Bugboy suggested southern, and the fault is clearly partly mine, as he kindly referred to my website, but that probably means I have to update my pages. In southern small white the dark apical patch extends down the outer margin at least as far as the discal spots - at least, in a summer, female, which this is. Bugboy is absolutely right about the large wall. Your brown arguses are southern brown arguses, Aricia cramera. This is generally regarded as a good species these days.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Janet Turnbull

Post by Janet Turnbull »

Thank you, Guy! Why would southern bown argus be reckoned a 'good species'?
Janet

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Sorry - taxonomy jargon! What I meant was, a species in its own right, as opposed to a subspecies. Older books (Tolman, for example) count it as a subspecies.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Personal Diaries”