MikeOxon

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
MikeOxon

Re: MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Yesterday and today, I have had a much more pleasant diversion from wet weather than having to resort to mathematics! (apologies, Guy)

i wrote about the white (leucistic) Starling that has been visiting my garden for several years in a previous post (dated 2nd April). Yesterday (27th May), I looked into the gloom outside my window and saw two white birds! I soon realised that it was the white Starling plus offspring:
Abingdon - 27th May 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/125s@f/2.8 ISO100
Abingdon - 27th May 2014
Lumix FZ200 - 1/125s@f/2.8 ISO100
A little later, while the youngster was sitting in a tree, Mum returned with another white offspring! Now there were three :D

I failed to get a photo of all three together, yesterday but, as I hoped they would, they returned at about the same time today. The light was still pretty poor but I got the following shots:
Abingdon - 28th May 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/320s@f/2.8 ISO320
Abingdon - 28th May 2014
Lumix FZ200 - 1/320s@f/2.8 ISO320
Abingdon - 28th May 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000s@f/2.8 ISO320
Abingdon - 28th May 2014
Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000s@f/2.8 ISO320
Abingdon - 28th May 2014<br />Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000s@f/2.8 ISO320
Abingdon - 28th May 2014
Lumix FZ200 - 1/1000s@f/2.8 ISO320
Perhaps, this is the start of a new race of Starlings! I'm hoping the weather might improve and I shall get some better photos before they disperse.

The FZ200 did an excellent job in the conditions and the f/2.8 telephoto capability proved its worth.

Mike
Last edited by MikeOxon on Wed May 28, 2014 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That's wonderful, Mike! Intriguing too - but mostly just wonderful.

Guy

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Agreed. Fabulous birds. I would imagine it's very rare to photograph multiple leucistic individuals. It must be worth investing considerable time to get the very best images possible!
BWs, Neil

David M

Post by David M »

That's amazing, Mike. To see one is good fortune but to see two, parent and offspring, must be almost unique.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thank you for the comments- I'm very pleased to be able to show these photos! As Guy says, it is just wonderful to see :D

I've been thinking about the genetics involved and am hoping to get some expert opinion soon.

In the current poor weather, the f/2.8 lens on the FZ200 is invaluable. I've taken some shots with the Nikon as well but, with my 300mm f/4, there is so little depth of field that I cannot keep all the birds in focus. If the weather improves, I shall have a better chance and, perhaps, they will be prepared to come out from the shelter of our trees!

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

When can I move in Mike???? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: That is incredible. More images please :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Well Mike, what a turn up, that's absolutely amazing and for them to actually be in a naturalist/photographers garden is pretty darn good eh :wink: Please keep us all up to date on this unique avian family, and thanks for providing us with some lovely images.

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I can only agree, Mike - I'm transfixed! Please take some more photos :D

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

A warmer and brighter day with some sun. No visits from any white Starlings, however. They must have a different routine in good weather. Just one Holly Blue flitting through the garden during a sunny interval.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic stuff Mike :mrgreen: :D I've seen partially leucistic birds before but never anything like the fully white ones. It's quite a surprise to see that they've actually bred as normally they'd be the first ones picked off by a predator. The rarity of this type of mutation suggests a recessive allele to me but that is just a guess. If that's the case then there must also be a leucistic carrier male out there to pass on it's copy of the gene. It'll be interesting to see if the juveniles attain the yellow bill like the mother has once they grow up a bit, keep us posted.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wurzel wrote:The rarity of this type of mutation suggests a recessive allele to me but that is just a guess.
That's my assumption, too, but it also raises interesting questions.

She has bred three times before, to produce 'normal' offspring. I don't know much about mating habits of Starlings but this suggests a different paring this year. I would think that she must have paired with a close relative, carrying the same recessive allele, but, since Starlings form large flocks in Winter, one would expect the gene pool to become widely dispersed.

Although white feathers are relatively common in Blackbirds and Crows, they seem to be extremely rare in Starlings, so the character must only be expressed in very unusual circumstances. There is, perhaps, a complex pattern of alleles involved which, therefore, makes it surprising that both her offspring show the effect!

Also, far from suffering a huge disadvantage, as one might expect, the 'mother' has survived well since 2008. It remains to be seen how these youngsters fare, but perhaps something in the modern environment will give them a selection advantage, Who knows?

All rather puzzling! - I'm still hoping for an expert opinion.

Mike

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mike your photo's are fantastic, :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I get loads of Starlings in the garden , the nearest I've come to a White one is the tail feathers of just one of the birds :D I hope they come back so you can post more pic's Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

I've shared my house with nesting Starlings for many years Mike, I've always been very partial to them, must say though I never remember any mention of white Starlings, white Jackdaws, Carrion/Hooded Crow, Blackbirds etc certainly, seen several, white Starlings have to be very special and would make a super interesting national news item, if you could possibly put up with the intrusion and also keep your location secure for the birds sake :roll:

I'm so glad you've shared this with us Mike :wink: hope they fall victim to your new Panasonic Lumix FZ200 again...cos' they need shooting :lol:

Bill :D

"When in doubt...venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Willrow wrote:would make a super interesting national news item
I suspect we don't realise how few share our interest in the natural world! A few weeks ago, the mother bird was feeding on the grass verge of a local pavement, as several people were passing. No one seemed to notice, even though I was standing watching her!

Now, if I had a photo of a minor celeb. showing an inch more flesh than she should, that would be different :lol:

Mike

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

MikeOxon wrote:I suspect we don't realise how few share our interest in the natural world! A few weeks ago, the mother bird was feeding on the grass verge of a local pavement, as several people were passing. No one seemed to notice, even though I was standing watching her!
I had a similar experience last year, Mike, when I saw a white house sparrow mucking in with the normal ones at Martigny station. No one else noticed.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Thanks Guy - good example! If it were a white pigeon or duck, then it would be quite routine. It's just the species in which it occurs that is special.

One of the white youngsters was back at our feeders this afternoon, looking very independent!

Mike

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Now, if I had a photo of a minor celeb. showing an inch more flesh than she should, that would be different :lol:
Anyone on ukb know who is top of the pops at them moment? Or has sold the most albums? I wouldn't have a clue nor am I in the least interested. But I could be amused by the saddos who DO know about these things!

Isn't there a pop artist called Justin Bebop? Or am I confused. He might be a darts player. ONE HUNDRED AND S_I_X_T_Y!

Jack

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote: ONE HUNDRED AND S_I_X_T_Y!
180, I think :o

Mike

ps if anyone wants to respond to Jack re. 'trivia' knowledge, please use a different thread :)

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

In response to popular request, some more white Starling photos:
StarlingFamily.jpg
All three were in my Catalpa tree this morning - Mum in the middle, with the two offspring above and below.

Mother&Son-Dghter.jpg
This family portrait shows Mother and child. I'm hoping they wiil stay around long enough for me to be able to determine whether son or daughter. Conveniently, when the beak colours develop, males have a blue base to the bill, while females have pink - yes, really!

When I photographed Orange Tip larvae recently, I commented on the harshness of on-camera flash. I have just built my 1st-prototype diffuser for the FZ200. It consists of the cap from a deodorant aerosol can,with a small piece of black tape added, to block direct light.
FlashDiffuser.jpg
Unfortunately, the weather outlook is not great for more butterfly trips in the week ahead.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

These are unique photos Mike - please keep taking them and posting them.

Return to “Personal Diaries”