August 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
Willrow

Re: August 2013

Post by Willrow »

Kenfig NNR, South Wales - Revisited I returned to the reserve today in the hope of getting better images of Red-veined Darter dragonfly, the few I managed last Friday were not up to scratch and didn't show the lovely lower blue coloured eye - a defining characteristic feature, I was to be disappointed again today as the few I saw were soon whisked away on the keen and blustery north-west wind :roll:

I decided to concentrate on Wall as Kenfig can be a bit of a 'hotspot' for them, in all I saw six individuals and although the wind played up a bit the butterflies were kind and I managed a few passable shots. Among the other species seen were; Small Copper, Common Blue, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Red Admiral and Grayling. Not exactly what I expected with the Wall undoubtedly saving the day.

Bill :D
Attachments
Fully opened wing shot of Wall
Fully opened wing shot of Wall
Cryptic side view of Wall
Cryptic side view of Wall
Half n' half shot of Wall
Half n' half shot of Wall
Female Common Blue sheltering from brisk wind
Female Common Blue sheltering from brisk wind
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Egg Laying White (not sure which sort).

I have been catching up with all the wonderful diaries, pictures and information from everybody - Superb :!:

I seem unable to find common blues in Shropshire if anybody knows where they are hiding, as I am keen to photograph the female.

Last Monday it tipped it down with rain here and I took the opportunity as I was not at work, to have my first go at watercolour painting (I have never drawn or painted ever before) I choose the gatekeeper. I wondered if anybody else paints pictures of the butterflies.

I am not brave enough to post it, but for my first ever artistic attempt at middleage, It came out better than expected. Next step - Art Class for those winter months.

Debbie :)
Attachments
IMG_8515.jpg
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Debbie wrote: I took the opportunity ..., to have my first go at watercolour painting
Fascinating photo of the White, egg-laying. From the broad, black edge showing through the fore-wing, I believe that it is a Large White.

I know several people who have suddenly discovered a previously unknown latent talent, so good luck with your painting!

Mike
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Debbie wrote:Egg Laying White (not sure which sort).
Hi Debbie - definitely Large White. Is the photo upside-down? Eggs are normally laid on the underside of a leaf.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Pete Eeles wrote:Hi Debbie - definitely Large White. Is the photo upside-down? Eggs are normally laid on the underside of a leaf.
The photo is the right way up and hubby has checked and the eggs are on the top of the leaf, but it is does have other leaves that are above it like an umbrella.

The abdomen would bob up and down between each egg, I remember it doing this.

The other eggs on the plant are all on the underneath of the leaves.

Best Wishes Debbie.
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

Exactly - thanks Debbie! As such, this is very interesting indeed, and suggest you put the photo in the species-specific album :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Pictures of large whites eggs laid both side of leaves.
Attachments
IMG_8528.JPG
IMG_8527.JPG
Last edited by Debbie on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Butterflies in the garden this weekend.

Peacock, Whites, one Red Admiral, Comma & Gatekeeper - the latter two would not pose......

The one white had part of his antennae missing.

A quick stop off at a very windy Prees Heath had;

Peacock, Whites, Gatekeeper, Meadow Browns good and tatty and beautiful Small Coppers and lots of grasshoppers.

Still hunting the not so common blue :roll:

Debbie
Attachments
Prees Heath SX50 (M brown - i think)
Prees Heath SX50 (M brown - i think)
SX50 (taken at Prees Heath)
SX50 (taken at Prees Heath)
IMG_0755.JPG
Taken with SX50
Taken with SX50
Taken with SX50
Taken with SX50
IMG_8511.JPG
IMG_8444a.jpg
IMG_8425a.jpg
ChrissyM

Post by ChrissyM »

Debbie wrote:
I seem unable to find common blues in Shropshire if anybody knows where they are hiding, as I am keen to photograph the female.

Last Monday it tipped it down with rain here and I took the opportunity as I was not at work, to have my first go at watercolour painting (I have never drawn or painted ever before) I choose the gatekeeper. I wondered if anybody else paints pictures of the butterflies.

I am not brave enough to post it, but for my first ever artistic attempt at middleage, It came out better than expected. Next step - Art Class for those winter months.

Debbie :)
Hi Debbie, there are some on the Hermitage in Bridgnorth (along the bottom of the field especially) and I did eventually discover some females this past week. And yes, I do make art of butterflies, all kinds of wildlife in fact. Well done on your first effort and beware it is addictive ;)
NickB

Post by NickB »

Nice to see and hear of so many immigrants. My son phoned just now from Loughton (Rodding Valley NR) in Essex to say he had just seen 2 Clouded Yellow...
Myself - well, a yellow butterfly, but a Brimstone trying to persuade me that it was a leaf, this morning...
BR_1a_low_MRC_14_08_2013.jpg
Last edited by NickB on Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Just back from a three day break on the Isles of Scilly. I was mainly out at sea on a pelagic watching shearwaters and petrels, but did one walk where I saw several Clouded Yellows, probably about ten during a couple of hours on St. Mary's on the south facing slopes looking across to St. Agnes. Will post pic's. when sorted.

Yesterday I was at Prawle Point in Devon and saw another Clouded Yellow. An explosion of Large and Small Whites here - just about one on every flower head with Cirl Buntings providing the musical accompaniment. Brilliant!
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

Pete Eeles wrote:Exactly - thanks Debbie! As such, this is very interesting indeed, and suggest you put the photo in the species-specific album :)

Cheers,

- Pete
I also had large whites laying on nasturtiums the other week (they smothered them!) I noticed one of these clumps was unusually laid on the upper side of the leaf, with no other leaves above. Thought it uinusual but didn't think to take a photo. They hatched out quite OK and the nasturtiums are taking a hammering right now :)

Some of the leaves sit vertically rather than horizontal, so maybe the butterflies didn't know which was meant to be the top? I noticed some of the caterpillars (and a GVW cat also) were sitting on the upper surface of some leaves this morning too.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

14 August Isle of Mull

Small Torts. Hyper-abundant everywhere there are buddleias.

That one is on the concrete path near a buddleia. Shows the typical intense colour of Mull examples. (Quite accurately reproduced in that photo).

And the one below is having a long drink.

And I am just off to Macgochans for a long drink!

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Debbie,
Debbie wrote:M brown - I think
This is a Small Heath; probably a male by the shape of the wings.

Kind regards. Mark
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Today at home lots of small tortoiseshell, peacocks, small large whites, few green veined whites and meadow brown. The red kite was flying law all afternoon looking for food. Unfortunately I did not have time to put a telephoto lens. This was taken by Sony A65 100mm F2.8 micro lens. (1/1000 sec, F6.3 ISO800) : :D
Attachments
DSC04681AUK.jpg
DSC04670AUK.jpg
DSC04655AUK.jpg
DSC04642AUK.jpg
DSC04581AUK.jpg
Last edited by sahikmet on Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

sahikmet wrote:The red kite was flying law all afternoon looking for food. Unfortunately I did not have time to put a telephoto lens. This was taken by Sony A65 100mm F2.8 micro lens.
That's still one hell of an image!
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Debbie, if you're referring to that rather worn individual then I'm with you on that one - my guess would also be Meadow Brown. It's great that you're getting out more with your camera now - great photo of the buddleia bush. Keep posting :D
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Sahikmet, I agree with David - that is a great Red Kite photo. I have only ever seen these birds twice and very much at a distance. I am very envious :mrgreen: :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Isle of Mull 14th August

Scotch Argus reports from Mull are getting boring. But did see another (very worn) DG Fritillary near the sea at Glengorm and a couple of Graylings.

With butterfly news being a bit thin on the ground, I thought I’d share this view from Glengorm looking towards Ardnamuchan. Weather is an approaching warm front (from left of picture).

It’s a stitch of three photos. Colours might appear garish but are pretty accurate.

Jack
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Thanks for the compliment David and Pauline. We now have several that are regularly flying above Ickenham. Lots are flying over M40 specially around Stokenchurch, which is 23 miles from here. Sezar

Return to “Sightings”