July 2007 Entries

This is a forum for, primarily, monthly (or so!) photographic competitions that complement the annual competition.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Rogerdodge wrote:Bill
Re ; Chalkhill Bue, Stockridge Down.
I love this photograph!
It reminds me of a cover of the (BCS) Butterflies magazine a few issues back of a Green Hairstreak where the background was (relatively) clearly defined as in this picture.
I could get no Exif info from your picture!
Have you used a massive Fstop (22 or something) and a tripod?
Please tell - I want to do it!
Thanks
Roger
Hi Roger
Thanks for the compliment, I'm glad you like it!

There is no exif because I resized the picture from the original to meet the photo comp requirements of 1200x1200 max size. There is no way of retaining the exif when you do that, none that I'm aware of anyway, if there is please share!

The pic was hand held using my Fuji F31fd, a point and shoot. I use it in macro and in aperture priority mode with max F stop. I always have trouble deciding whether to go for maximum depth of field with the possibility of having a distracting background in focus, or using the minimum depth of field and risk not having the subject in focus (only autofocus on this camera so a distinct possibility in macro mode). After some out of focus shots, and with plenty of high ISO performance available (the best in a digital compact) I decided that max depth of field was best.

I just shoot for a personal record, but this one leaped out at me when I reviewed what I had taken so I guess I'm owning up to it not being intentional! If I was going to print it I might try cleaning the two twigs/stems out of the sky but that won't be easy to do without it noticing. (There's more exif if you want it but I cropped it to what I thought was important)

Cheers

Bill

EXIF
Make=FUJIFILM
Model=FinePix F31fd
Exposure Time=10/5000 sec
FNumber=F8.0
Exposure Program=Aperture priority
ISOSpeed Ratings=200
Metering Mode=Average
Flash=Off, surpressed
Focal Length=8.00 mm
Macro=On
Focusmode=Auto Focus
Picture Mode=Aperture prior AE
Blur Warning=No blur warning
Focus Warning=Auto Focus good
AEWarning=AE good
Focal Lengthin35mm Film=36.00
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Thanks for that Bill.
These point and shoot cameras are giving some excellent results these days.

Lovely photo.

Hope to see some more.
Roger

Return to “Competitions”