millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

It's been very frustrating watching several days of lovely sunny weather through an office window with no chance to go anywhere out in it. Today was hardly in the same category weatherwise, but reasonably warm, dry and with some sunny intervals. I was able to do a tour of my local patch for the first time in five days, and amazingly, didn't see a single Peacock, and just one Comma. However, the Holly Blues were still going strong, with over a dozen again in various places. In fact with the sun shining, it's almost impossible to walk anywhere round here without seeing at least a couple. Their colour is very variable according to the angle of the light on the wings: these photos are all the same butterfly.
HB1 250415.JPG
HB2 250415.JPG
HB3 250415.JPG
Speckled Woods were also evident in most spots.
Spw1 250415.JPG
There were also a lot more Whites than when last I was out, and almost all of them seemed to be Green-veined, though there were a few Small and a couple of Large as well. GVW males vary quite a bit in the amount of black on the upperside, some lacking the spot altogether.
GVW1 250415.JPG
GVW2 250415.JPG
GVW3 250415.JPG
GVW4 250415.JPG
No Brimstones today. I probably saw half a dozen Orange Tips, and the intermittent sunshine proved to be ideal for observing them closely.
OT7 250415.JPG
They don't fly long with the sun in, so following one in flight as a cloud came across quickly led to it coming down to perch. Then as the sun re-emerged, the butterfly opened up.
OT2 250415.JPG
OT3 250415.JPG
I also found a female on a bit of cow parsley, and she too obliged by opening her wings in a brief burst of sunshine.
OT5 250415.JPG
OT6 250415.JPG
Dave

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Not quite as frustrating as spending all your weekends knocking plaster off of walls whilst others are out seeing Dukes, Greenstreaks and now Pearls or getting great shots of whites and OTs like yours Dave :mrgreen: :D
That last OT seems to have abnormally large spots? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Smashing photos Dave, every one, Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Those spots do look large, Wurzel - you can almost imagine a face there with the spots as eyes and the abdomen as a beak/nose. :shock: Maybe that's what a potential predator sees, since the female has none of the warning colouration of the male.

Thank you, Goldie - I'm glad you like the photos. I'm flattered! :D

Nothing like that today, I'm afraid. After a truly awful morning of cold and rain, sunshine finally appeared and I had an hour on my local patch from five till six. I saw six butterflies only, but as has happened before, all six were different species. First came a Holly Blue, nectaring high up on a crab apple blossom, followed by a Comma darting into the trees when I disturbed its basking. A little later, I spotted a Green-veined White down on the damp path, sucking up salts. I managed a quick shot before a particularly noisy aircraft taking off directly overhead spooked it.
GVW1 290415.JPG
There was then a Speckled Wood, enjoying some dappled sunlight in a spot that is becoming increasingly shaded as the trees gain in leaf almost by the hour. Next to appear was a male Large White, flying higher up and in a more languid fashion than its smaller cousins, finally disappearing amongst some hawthorns just coming into flower. Last of all was a Red Admiral. This was new to the area, and much fresher than those I have seen so far this year. It was nectaring avidly on these low-growing purple flowers, darting from bloom to bloom with interruptions for typical energetic sweeping flights around the clearing. At a guess, I would say it was a recent continental immigrant. It was not worn enough to be an over-wintered individual, and too early to be the offspring of those seen earlier in the month. Incidentally, it was of the variety with the extra white spot in the red band, bialbata.
RA1 290415.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

I repeated yesterday's excursion at the same time today. A bit warmer perhaps, but not quite as sunny, and there were fewer butterflies. As ever, a Holly Blue started things off, but I found it uncharacteristically down on the grass, apparently drinking from moisture on a dock leaf. It appeared brand spanking new, too, so they must still be emerging.
HB1 300415.JPG
It was disturbed by a Large White, the first of three I saw altogether, none of them stopping anywhere. There were a couple of Green-veined Whites as well, and I was beginning to think that was it, until I walked along a sheltered bit of path next to the river. The cow parsley here has grown considerably in the last week or so, and the flowers are out, and of course these are one of the favourite roosting choices of Orange Tips. I found two males, clearly settled for the evening with antennae tightly held together, despite some spells of bright sunshine. The breeze made sharp photos a bit tricky: these are a few reasonable ones out of many dozens taken!
OT3 300415.JPG
OT4 300415.JPG
OT5 300415.JPG
OT7 300415.JPG
OT1 300415.JPG
One of my favourite subjects, and all too brief a time each year to see them.

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Your local area seems to be a real magnet for both Holly Blues and Orange-tips, Dave :D very nice images of lovely butterflies. Very few OT's in our area at the moment1

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

millerd wrote:....One of my favourite subjects, and all too brief a time each year to see them.
How true!

We have but a fortnight before they start to seriously disappear.

Make the most of it.

millerd

Post by millerd »

I spent the weekend up in Yorkshire, where I failed to see a single butterfly but did see a large number of bicycles. I returned home today, and with such a promising weather forecast I decided to cut across country towards the end of the journey and visit Ivinghoe Beacon on the Chilterns. Down in the sheltered gully beneath the Beacon itself, I met up with several folk looking for the Duke of Burgundy. No one was disappointed, as there were at least half a dozen new individuals of both sexes to be found, along with Grizzled and Dingy Skippers and several Brimstones - plus a single Peacock.
GS1 040515.JPG
GS2 040515.JPG
DS1 040515.JPG
DS2 040515.JPG
Brimstone2 040515.JPG
Peacock1 040515.JPG
Dukes and Dingies just do not get along, and there were numerous battles for the right to perch on particular vantage points.
DB1 040515.JPG
DB2 040515.JPG
DB3 040515.JPG
DB5 040515.JPG
DB6 040515.JPG
DB7 040515.JPG
DB8 040515.JPG
DB9 040515.JPG
DB10 040515.JPG
DB11 040515.JPG
DB12 040515.JPG
DB13 040515.JPG
DB14 040515.JPG
DB4 040515.JPG
It was also interesting that at around half past one, the Dukes almost all disappeared - they very much seem to be a morning butterfly. A lone Orange Tip back at the car park completed the outing.

Dave

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave,

As your many Duke images illustrate, you can never have too many!. Taken in a lovely area too.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Dave, a great selection of Duke photos :D

Duke of Burgundy was one of the species I missed last year, I will have to make more of an effort this year.

Cheers,

Neil

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

I've gotten a serious case of 'green eyed monster' with all those stunning Duke pictures :mrgreen:

Some addictions are good for the soul!
David M

Post by David M »

Great stuff, Dave.

If the weather ever perks up then Dukes will definitely be top of my list!

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

A fantastic selection of Dukes Dave, so much so that I think my envy-meter has just cracked :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

kevling

Post by kevling »

Dave,

Fantastic shots of the Duke Of Burgundy. Love them.

This is the number one species on my list for 2015, having never seen one before. I was anxiously waiting for a report from the Chilterns before setting off from Ipswich (Butser Hill seems too far in a day, so favoured Dunstbale Downs & Ivinghoe). Thanks for the heads up. Prayign for good weather on Sunday 8)

Regards Kev

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely photo's Millerd, You should have been in Lancashire not Yorkshire :lol: Goldie :D

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you all for your appreciation of those Duke of Burgundy shots. :D It's a very easy compact location to see them, they were very approachable and the weather was spot on for once. A great day.

Not so much luck today. I went down to Botany Bay this afternoon, and as mentioned elsewhere, there is work underway down there "improving" the track surface. From a lay perspective, this seems to entail applying a thick layer of mud to the path... I'm sure the recent heavy rain didn't help. I was able to park in the normal place, and walked down to the bridge and up the other side. The verges beside the ride seem to have been cut down this year, and the number of flowers seems very low (aside from bugle). There seems to be more shade as well. I looked for Wood Whites, but they were slow in appearing, despite sunshine, and the first three white butterflies I saw were all female Orange Tips.
OT1 070515.JPG
In the end I did see two, possibly three of the target species, but none stayed still for more than a moment, and all vanished from the path through the same gap in the bushes and off into the wood. So - no photos this time. There were plenty of Brimstones, and being late afternoon, they were busy nectaring restlessly on bugle and bluebell before disappearing for the evening just before five.
Brimstone 070515.JPG
Peacocks were still to be seen all along the path - probably the same ones I saw a few weeks ago. Finally, I also noted one each of Large White, Speckled Wood and Comma, but no Dingy or Grizzled Skippers.
Comma1 070515.JPG
Another trip next week looks in order... Maybe a few more Wood Whites will be out.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I hope you have better luck with the Wood Whites Dave :D

Have a goodun
Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Dave,
After today I have no problem any more with the stunning Holly Blue images you keep posting. :lol:

All the best,
TREVOR.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks for the support, Wurzel. It was a tad frustrating and a bit disconcerting to see the ride covered in mud as well. I hope it hasn't disturbed the habitat at the edges where I have seen Wood Whites laying in the past and where their patrolling activity usually takes place.

Your Holly Blue female was a corker, Trevor. My turn to be envious! There are a lot around (here at any rate) and I'm glad you had the chance to take advantage.

On Saturday, I spent the day in the Midlands, and was unimpressed with the cold, the cloud and the wind. 13 degrees was all it scraped up to, and an afternoon visit to Ryton proved fruitless aside from one Peacock in the woods. I passed close to Bishop's Hill on the way home, and following directions from Neil Freeman (many thanks, Neil :D ), found what looks like a brilliant site. The sun appeared, but I had very little time to explore, though I did see half a dozen Dingy Skippers in as many minutes as the clock approached half past six.
DS1 090515.JPG
Arriving home to find the temperature still up at 17 degrees after a sunny afternoon was a bit annoying! :)

Today (10th) I had an opportunity to do a quick tour of my local patch. It was windy, but increasingly sunny and warm. Holly Blues were everywhere again, and over an hour or so I counted at least fifteen in various places. They were around holly and ivy (naturally enough) but were also cruising stands of bramble, settling in hawthorns and other trees and shrubs, and tussling with each other in twos and threes.
HB1 100515.JPG
The next most frequent butterfly turned out to be the Green-veined White, again seen often in twos or threes but settling on the bright escaped rape flowers along parts of the path.
GVW1 100515.JPG
GVW2 100515.JPG
GVW3 100515.JPG
GVW4 100515.JPG
They were occasionally disturbed by Large Whites, of which I saw four or five, and by a handful of Orange Tips which were battling the wind and certainly not stopping. Three or four Peacocks still set up territories along the path, and there was one Comma. This I took to be female in that it failed to intercept any other flying insects, including one of the Peacocks. This would be an irresistible target for a male Comma.

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

With after work the only option today, at least the sun was still shining hazily and it remained quite warm. A bit of a breeze remained, though. The local patch was also the only real choice too, but I never tire of Holly Blues and there were still quite a few chasing each other around the hedgerows. I watched a female flying around very close to a holly tree.
HB1 110515.JPG
She settled briefly, but often, and was persistently set upon by one, two, or even three males. She was having none of it, resisting their advances with violent wing fluttering and retreating deeper into the foliage. I watched her move onto a holly flower, where she initially took some nectar.
HB2 110515.JPG
She then adjusted her position to curve her abdomen round before moving along a branch to do the same thing again somewhere else.
HB3 110515.JPG
HB4 110515.JPG
I was struck by the similarity in behaviour with that of female Black and Brown Hairstreaks, having watched both last year crawl in amongst the twigs and foliage of sloe bushes in identical fashion. If you hadn't seen the butterfly disappear into the bush, you would never know it was there. Holly Blues really do seem to have more in common with hairstreaks than with other blue butterflies.

Now it was getting quite late and the only likely sightings now would be roosting butterflies. I managed to find a male Green-veined White just settling down on some cow parsley.
GVW1 110515.JPG
After that, a little way along the path there was a male Orange Tip on the same type of plant.
OT1 110515.JPG
OT2 110515.JPG
I remembered an experiment with flash I tried a few years back and had another go.
OT3 110515.JPG
I'm still not sure whether I like it... :?

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”