Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hoggers

Post by Padfield »

Lovely butterflies Hoggers - and a brilliant all-blue female common blue in your last set - but lovely pictures of your dog in the bluebell woods too (several posts ago)! :D He looks very serious and obedient, looking to you for his next instruction. I have to say, those pictures made me smile.

Guy

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Hoggers,

Really jealous of all your Small Coppers :mrgreen: :D . They are just getting started around my patch but I would never see them in the numbers that you do, five or six in one spot is a good count for me.

Cheers,

Neil

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hello Guy, thanks for your comments. He's one of the most patient dogs I've ever known but when I'm stalking (and inevitably flushing!) a butterfly I sometimes look up and see him gazing at me as if to say "Come On!! Let's Go!!"

Mind you, let loose in a meadow he's great at getting the butterflies up as he whizzes about trashing that tail of his.

Hi Neil, thanks for your comment. Dungeness is simply amazing for Small Coppers. It has just their kind of arid terrain, there's Sorrel everywhere and of course it is a protected nature reserve. I don't know if there's anywhere in the country that can beat it!
I've been doing my best to provide accurate counts of what I see but I cover only a small part of the estate on any one walk so I guess there are many more there.

Today I returned to my newly discovered Green Hairstreak colony
IMG_8251.JPG
IMG_8231.JPG
My aim was to get as accurate count as I possibly could
IMG_8264.JPG
Conditions were good, it was warm, sunny and with only a light breeze
IMG_8266.JPG
I had the chance to watch them engage in ferocious little dog-fights after which they'd return to their watching posts
IMG_8278.JPG
Over about 1 1/2 hours I counted 17
IMG_8268.JPG
I also saw 2 Peacocks, a Large White and a male Orange Tip.

The area was also patrolled by this female Broad-bodied Chaser
IMG_8273.JPG
I hope she wasn't eating my Green Hairstreaks!
IMG_8285.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely Hair Streaks Hoggers, I wish I could visit there right now out of this cold wind Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Small Copper numbers have fallen at Dungeness and those remaining are showing signs of having lived hard but active lives
IMG_8342.JPG
IMG_8336.JPG
IMG_8358.JPG
Life's tough down there and it's not only the elements that they have to contend with
IMG_8337.jpg
Quite what finished this one off I do not know
IMG_8338.JPG
I wasn't sure whether this one was worn or had been paler to begin with
IMG_8299.JPG
IMG_8310.JPG
On my walk this morning I saw only 29 Small Coppers but by no means all were on their uppers
IMG_8328.JPG
IMG_8313.JPG
IMG_8346.JPG
IMG_8359.JPG
IMG_8361.JPG
IMG_8363.JPG
IMG_8371.JPG
IMG_8374.JPG
IMG_8384.JPG
And I was treated to some ferocious little battles
IMG_8370.JPG
While the Small Coppers fade away for now Brown Argus,Small Heaths and Common Blues grow stronger
IMG_8385.JPG
IMG_8319.JPG
IMG_8394.JPG
I also saw my first Painted Lady
IMG_8389.JPG
IMG_8393.JPG
Another good day with the Small Coppers
IMG_8386.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

The weather here is dull and drizzly. No earthquakes here last night!

I spent the morning digging a "Hedgehog Tunnel" at the top of the garden so now they can easily get in from the field and out again.The trend for high solid fences rather than hedgerows between gardens is thought to be having a harmful effect on Hedgehog numbers as they can't move about freely to forage. Thus "The Tunnel"!

On my walk with the dogs I came across what I think is a Drake Mackerel
P1060631.JPG
Such a handsome insect
P1060639.JPG
We went up to the woods but the Bluebells are now over. I found this photograph on my camera taken a fortnight ago which I'll post as a final memory of how wonderful they were
P1060614.JPG
With no chance of a butterfly today I thought I'd give an update on my Blue Tits
P1060622.JPG
They've done really well this year
P1060625.JPG
Past two years all they've managed to raise was one or two but this time you can see there are six very healthy looking chicks almost ready to venture out into the world
P1060626.JPG
I do hope this weather improves for the rest of the Bank Holiday!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

After yesterday's miserable weather,a single male Orange Tip fluttering about in my garden this morning seemed like a good omen for a butterfly trip further afield.

First cloud quickly evaporated and by the time I'd reached Dungeness we had glorious warm sunshine with very little wind.

The estate is now a blaze of colour as much of the Valerian and Sea Kale is in flower with Viper's Bugloss joining in too. There's also some Ragwort and that's where I saw my first Small Copper
IMG_8411.JPG
But their numbers are now very modest. The first brood must be all but over. Common Blues, Small Heaths and Brown Argus have come to the fore
IMG_8419.JPG
IMG_8417.JPG
IMG_8459.JPG
I also saw Large and Small Whites and this faded Painted Lady
IMG_8455.JPG
Although I'm eagerly awaiting the second brood of Coppers I have no intention of ignoring those of the pioneering first brood
IMG_8425.JPG
IMG_8431.JPG
IMG_8443.JPG
IMG_8472.JPG
IMG_8437.JPG
I saw only 16 today but they kept me entertained. I sat down to have my lunch and watch a pair of neighbouring males. Over the course of around 15 minutes I saw them engage in 8 furious dog fights, some of which lasted near on a 30 - 45 seconds a time
IMG_8462.JPG
IMG_8465.JPG
So there was plenty to see
IMG_8473.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

It would seem that every time you go out your tripping over Small Coppers , yet so far this year
i have only seen one !. The habitat at Dungeness must be just perfect for them.

Keep 'em coming,
TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I love the Small Coppers on the white flowers Hoggers, it sets them off beautifully and yes I finally found some :lol: also the young chicks look great, keep us informed on their progress will you. Goldie :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

All 7 Blue Tit chicks left the box this morning and are now dotted around the garden being fussed over by the parents. This is the third year in a row that we've had Blue Tits nesting with us and up til now the best they've managed is to raise 2 chicks so conditions must have been just right for them.

I've been confined to barracks today but I spotted my second Red Admiral of the year in my garden Jungle
P1060661.JPG
P1060662.JPG
P1060664.JPG
P1060667.JPG
P1060674.JPG
Two Small Whites
P1060649.JPG
A tired looking Holly Blue made a fleeting visit
P1060646.JPG
And I had a brief glimpse of a Speckled Wood.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hoggers we don't seem to get Red Admiral's here until August/Sept they must work their way here slowly :D
Glad the young chicks are out and about, we've got young Starlings and young Black Birds in our Garden, the starling young still expecting Mum to feed them Goldie :D

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Lots of enjoyable images Hoggers, your certainly getting a good range of species :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Today we had lashings of sunshine, not of rain(!), so I took your advice Bill and set off to find a few local butterflies that I haven't managed to catch up with so far this season.

First, Kingsdown near Deal and the Small Blue
IMG_8494.JPG
IMG_8487.JPG
IMG_8486.JPG
I've seen 50+ at this site but today found only 8
IMG_8479.JPG
IMG_8474.JPG
I've left it rather late
IMG_8502.JPG
This magnificent Red Admiral dwarfed the Small Blues
IMG_8498.JPG
Hopefully he's on his way up to you Goldie!

Then to Samphire Ho where I got a nice surprise when the first butterfly I saw turned out to be a Clouded Yellow
IMG_8593.JPG
He led me a merry dance
IMG_8602.JPG
IMG_8606.JPG
IMG_8609.JPG
But when he took a quick break I got close enough for a snap
IMG_8601.JPG
Second on my list: Wall
IMG_8560.JPG
Almost as elusive as the Clouded Yellow but I managed to get close to one for a second or two!
IMG_8565.JPG
Last target for the day was the Adonis Blue
IMG_8540.JPG
IMG_8543.JPG
IMG_8548.JPG
Some were worn and battered
IMG_8572.JPG
IMG_8576.JPG
But such a gorgeous butterfly!
IMG_8583.JPG
A successful day out
IMG_8516.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Hoggers,
You had a similar day to me today, with a wonderful selection of species to be seen.
I almost felt as though i was in Hoggersland today as i at last found some Small Coppers,
at most locations visited they have been notable by their absence.
Excellent images in your diary.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Enjoying your recent photos Hoggers. Your cup runneth over at the moment with some cracking species.

Regards Kev

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking report Hoggers, great to see you got all your targets, great shots especially the final Small Blue :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks for your kind comments, they are much appreciated.

I live in central Ashford (Kent) and whilst out with the dogs this morning I was buzzed by a Painted Lady. Time : 07.15 !

"Good sign" I thought.

By 10am I was at Dungeness : more Painted Ladies in amongst the gorgeous flowers
IMG_8610.JPG
I saw 8 there during the course of my walk
IMG_8617.JPG
IMG_8619.JPG
There were Hummingbird Hawk Moths, quite a lot of them!
IMG_8626.JPG
I saw 6

Bearing in mind I also saw 2 Red Admirals it looks like there's some migration going on.

I was on the look out for Small Coppers as I wondered if any of the first generation were still around. Throughout my whole walk I managed to find just the one
IMG_8635.JPG
So I think it's reasonable to conclude that the first brood are over now.

Looking at my records for this year I can plot the progress of this first brood at Dungeness:

8th April - None

18th April - 8

21st April - 15

4th May - 99

9th May - 33 (but on a very windy day )

16th May - 77

22nd May - 29

24th May - 16

6th June - 1

Roll on the second brood!

But while I'm waiting for them there's plenty to see. Small Heaths
IMG_8643.JPG
Brown Argus
IMG_8650.JPG
IMG_8652.JPG
Common Blues
IMG_8672.JPG
Which included a smashing blue female
IMG_8658.JPG
IMG_8665.JPG
In fact, I haven't seen a brown female so far this year
IMG_8669.JPG
IMG_8671.JPG
I was delighted to find her.

But for me today was about another lady, the Painted Lady and the beautiful flowers of Dungeness
IMG_8612.JPG

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

East Blean Woods for me this bright, warm, sunny Sunday morning.

Plant the Cow Wheat
IMG_8770.JPG
And they will come
IMG_8790.JPG
IMG_8688.JPG
IMG_8699.JPG
IMG_8696.JPG
Difficult to say how many I saw during my visit
IMG_8704.JPG
IMG_8723.JPG
IMG_8743.JPG
But easily 20 +
IMG_8753.JPG
IMG_8759.JPG
IMG_8760.JPG
IMG_8775.JPG
IMG_8777.JPG
Often I'd focus on one
IMG_8784.JPG
and another would drop in
IMG_8795.JPG
IMG_8796.JPG
One of the things I most like about Heath Fritillaries is the way they'll break a flight with a graceful glide. Such an attractive butterfly
IMG_8792.JPG
And I was glad to see at least 6 other butterfly enthusiasts who were there to enjoy the fritillaries too. I think everyone went away very happy indeed.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Heaths are my main target species this year - but the Kent sightings page isn't that forthcoming so I read your post with mixed emotions - I was glad that I got confirmation that they're out :) , obvious envy for your great shots of a species I'd love to see :mrgreen: , and growing anticipaion about next Sunday :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Wurzel, I've got everything crossed for you for next Sunday! If the weather is kind you will have no trouble finding plenty of them

Best wishes

Hoggers

Return to “Personal Diaries”