Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by essexbuzzard »

Wow,these are fantastic images,Mark! I still have much to learn...

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Mark, your photo's of the PBF are great, I've not been on my computer much lately ,but to come on and find all these great photo's is a real treat :D Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you both.

I really appreciate your comments :D :D :D

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Springhead Hill, 29 May 2013

Small is beautiful ...

To say that I got rather wet yesterday would be an understatement. After a prearranged visit to the 65 acre Arundel Wetland Centre, to commence a survey to determine the habitats and butterfly species present, I headed, with the clouds now darkening in the sky, to one of my favourite locations – the beautiful Springhead Hill. Fortunately, I knew where the Small Blue were likely to be resting prior to the imminent storm, and I was lucky to find two individuals and get a few quick shots before the deluge occurred.

I’ll choose better weather next time …
UKBP1140184malesb.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Springhead Hill, 1 June 2013

Beauty in miniature ...

After much of the day’s heat had passed, I paid a brief visit to the beautiful Springhead Hill, with the sole aim of capturing the tiny and charismatic Small Blue (Cupido minimus) at roost. I was pleased to be joined by good friend Nick Broomer. When we arrived at around 5pm insects were still on the wing, though it wasn’t long before the first of a number of Small Blue were found roosting, as is generally customary at this location, amongst grass tussocks in sheltered areas.

The first image shows a male. The second and third images are both females.

With the light fading we said goodbye …
UKBP1140523sbmale.jpg
UKBP1140492sbfemale.jpg
UKBP1140502sbfemaleupper2.jpg

nomad

Post by nomad »

Superb images of the lovely Small Blue. Peter.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Simply delightful Mark!

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely shots of a lovely little gem Mark :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Peter, Bill and Wurzel.

Just to say a very BIG thank you for your very kind comments :D :D :D

I hope the pictures gave you as much pleasure as I got from taking them.

Thanks ...

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 3 June 2013

An early evening stroll.

And I almost didn't take my camera ...
UKBP1140548dingy.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Mark, I'd be very surprised if you went anywhere at this time of year without your camera.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Another lovely photo Mark, the ball of light behind the subject really works well.

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

lovely image of a beautifully marked Dingy Skipper Mark :D

''..almost didn't take my camera".....I can only imagine it was a momentary lapse, not to be repeated :wink:

All the best

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you.

Your comments are appreciated :D :D :D
nfreem wrote:I can only imagine it was a momentary lapse, not to be repeated.
It won't happen again ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 6 June 2013

Before work ...

A male Grizzled Skipper at roost ...
UKBP1140660grizzledskippermale.jpg

nomad

Post by nomad »

Mark, really lovely shots of Skippers. The background really allows the full detail of the butterfly to be shown. The shot of the Dingy is one of the best that I have seen, a perfect capture. Your images certainly help to brighten up ones day after a hard days work. Peter.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Peter.

That's really kind of you to say :D :D :D

I don't find Skippers the easiest of subjects - but I like a challenge. The female Dingy is my favourite.

Kind regards. Mark

David M

Post by David M »

Your photos are really spectacular, Mark. They imply a great deal of patience and forethought (not to mention 'bushcraft').

What equipment are you using? You make it all seem so easy.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi David.

Thank you for your kind comments :D :D :D

Thanks to Neil’s original recommendation, I just use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45 bridge camera with the dedicated close-up lens (DMW-LC55) and adaptor (DMW-LA5). The camera has its own macro setting but I don't use it. I really like the Lumix as it is light, easy to use, and most importantly produces the type of images that I favour. Bushcraft and patience are obviously very important and I certainly feel that being an entomologist in the first instance provides me with a better understanding of what I set out to photograph. I do possess a Canon 7D and all the extras to go with it, as a future project is to undertake some detailed entomological macro photography – I just have to learn how to use it all.

To date, all my butterfly pictures on UKB were taken with the Lumix.

I know Neil wouldn't swap his and I certainly won't be swapping mine ...

Hope that helps.

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 9 June 2013

A welcome return ...

The not so common Common Blue of last season, appears, at least locally, to be making a comeback this season. Most of my local sites seem to be showing a small, though important population increase over last year. Looking at reports from further afield, this trend appears to be occurring elsewhere.

Long may this continue …

Undoubtedly one of my favourite species …
UKBcommonbluemale.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”