Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Maximus

Post by Pauline »

Your diary is starting to overwhelm me Mike :D The diversity of species and quality of the images are stunning :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Some great finds recently.

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Maximus,

Nice Marbled White photos. It's all happening :lol:

Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

They're coming thick and fast now Mike :D The third Marb is my fave as it falls into the stained glass category :D :mrgreen:
Have a goodun

Wurzel

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Pauline wrote:The diversity of species and quality of the images are stunning :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Totally agree, some truly superb imagies.

Your Small Skipper pic popped up on my facebook page, BC using it to advertise them emerging :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Summer is definitely here David :)

Thanks Pauline, no need to be overwhelmed :) :wink:

Thanks Kev. it's all happening :)

Yes Wurzel, thick and fast it is :) soon be x*%"+mas, :shock:

Cheers buyboy, BC asked if they could use the Small Skipper shot to advertise their emergence :)

Today we reacquainted ourselves with some Silver-studded Blues at a local site. We saw about ten males, females have obviously not yet emerged :roll: :wink:

P1200039.Resize.JPG
P1190995.Resize.JPG
P1190292.Resize.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Beautiful SSB. images, they are on my 'to do ' list, i've always found them to be quite camera friendly,
not too much manic chasing required.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Superb series of images, those SSB shots are really something else...well they are SSB...I just mean the shots are...oh! you know what I mean Mike :roll: ... :lol:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Trevor, I agree that SSB's are quite camera friendly and don't move too far if disturbed.

Bill, I know exactly what you mean :) :roll:

I've been unable to post recently due to problems with my computer, which is now hopefully sorted.
A recent trip to Oxfordshire, Bernwood Forest in particular, produced the goods in the form of Black Hairstreaks. We saw six in total at Bernwood and four later on at Whitecross Green Wood. Unfortunately for us, for most of the time they stayed high in the Blackthorn, only making occasional flights into lower positions, to either nectar on the abundant Privet flowers, or to sunbathe. Getting decent photos was quite difficult as they didn't stay still for long, quickly disappearing back into to the top of the Blackthorn. In the end it was down to combination of perseverance and pure luck to get some shots.

High up nectaring on Privet Flowers
High up nectaring on Privet Flowers
P1200247.Resize.JPG
Female Black Hairstreak
Female Black Hairstreak

What struck us was the absence of other butterfly species, apart from a few Large Skippers! Where were the Ringlets, Marbled Whites and Small Skippers we saw here in good numbers last year at around the same date?

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That last female black hairstreak in particular is a wonderful shot. What a beautiful butterfly.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

This is a late year, remember? In south Wales we're about 10 days behind 2014 and Ringlets are still to present themselves.

Give it another week and I'm sure they'll be out in numbers.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: Black Hairstreak :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Cracking shot!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Like most Hairstreaks , it would seem, from your report , that the Black Hairstreaks get a kick out of
teasing the photographer. Approach, aim, focus , GONE ! as soon as you touch the shutter.
I've never seen a Black Hairstreak, so your hard won images are the next best thing.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Mike, you sounded a bit disappointed and/or frustrated at your lack of success with the BH but you have got some fantastic images of a difficult butterfly so really well done! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

Great photos of the Black Hairstreaks, you managed to get much better shots than I did at Bernwood the other day :mrgreen: :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Agree whole heartedly with the other comments Mike, that last shot is worth your visit to Bernwood/Whitecross alone :wink:

Regards,

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Guy, the female Black Hairstreak was a real beauty.

They are late David, I hope things pick up soon, the predicted forecast for July doesn't look too good!

Thanks Wurzel :)

They're a right tease Trevor and they pirouett like all Hairstreaks do, nearly always ending up facing or facing away from you :roll:

Thank you Pauline, we were definately not disappointed, if it came across that way it was not intended, they're really beautiful butterflies :)

Thanks Neil, I wasn't paying attention :roll: and therefore didn't realise that yours was your first ever sighting :) well done, great stuff :)

Thanks Bill, yes absolutely :) :wink:

Today I was able (at last) to download all recent photos from my camera to my pc. Checking through all the images from the Bernwood visit, I found this BH shot which I had somehow missed!

Black Hairstreak female
Black Hairstreak female

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

How the hell did you miss that shot Mike :shock: ? I wish my 'missed/forgotten' shots were that good! :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Wurzel wrote:How the hell did you miss that shot Mike :shock: ? I wish my 'missed/forgotten' shots were that good!
Hear, hear.

Methinks you should take a close look at your stored images again, for if that one ended up originally on the 'cutting floor' I dread to think what else you've thus far refrained from posting!!

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
That's getting on for the ultimate BH. shot !. Just one image like that makes a long journey worthwhile.

Things are hotting up :D .
TREVOR.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Black Hairstreak can prove so frustrating, but when you do manage to get a good image capture (just like your 'missed' one Mike :roll: ) all the frustration is completely forgotten...until next time :lol:

BW's

Return to “Personal Diaries”