Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Nick.

The day was rather special.

Another Pearl from our outing below ...
UKBP1130792.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Of all the excellent photos you've posted, Mark, that Pearl-bordered is my favourite - absolutely superb. The way the pearls have caught the light is really quite something, and the colour contrast just amazing. Good stuff!

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 18 May 2013

Open day ...

It is difficult not to feel rather possessive, and somewhat sensitive, about the wonderful chalk downland reserve and the inhabitants of Heyshott Escarpment. Being involved with the annual weekly winter conservation management programme, and also acting as a director and trustee of the Murray Downland Trust, it feels a bit like inviting unknown people into your home when there is anyone other than yourself on the reserve. It's not that I don't want people to visit the site, far from it, but I do prefer the solitude of my own or limited like-minded company.

Coinciding with the launch of Save Our Butterflies Week, yesterday saw the joint Sussex Butterfly Conservation / Murray Downland Trust open day on this beautiful reserve.

Informatively led by Neil Hulme (Sussex BC) and Mike Edwards (MDT), the event was attended by 37 people who hopefully enjoyed their visit as much as I always do. The weather was kind to us, and Heyshott provided the butterflies in good number. In addition to The Duke, whom of course was who everyone wished to see, the most exciting surprise of the day came in the appearance of two Pearl-bordered Fritillaries. The first, a male, was seen almost as soon as we entered the main reserve. I saw the same individual (confirmed by photographic evidence) later in the day at higher level. The most exciting occurrence however, had to be the sighting of a freshly emerged female on the lower reserve. It would certainly appear that these two individuals have both emerged on the site and one can only attribute this to the ongoing management works, undertaken in previous winters, having improved and created favourable conditions. The lower reserve certainly has a coppiced woodland appearance and holds a good ground covering of violets.

I can't help thinking that The Duke will be glad we have all gone.

I feel sure he’s keeping a look out …
UKBP1130715.jpg
UKBP1050532.jpg

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 20 May 2013

At rest ...

After a windy and overcast afternoon …
UKBP1130943male.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I'm starting to get more than just a little envious Mark as you seem to be able to just pop out for the afternoon to such a fantastic site with such fantastic butterflies :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Wurzel.

Thanks for your message. There's no need to be envious, as I often look at the sites you visit and wish, if only ...

That said, I've just got back from another visit to Chiddingfold Forest and I have to agree, it is a rather special site :D :D :D

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Lovely photo of the Wood White Mark, in my opinion the best you have taken of this species, great find in such poor weather conditions.

All the best, Nick.

David M

Post by David M »

Wood Whites are always easier to approach in poor weather. I'd hate to have to photograph one in 25c heat and full sunshine (I've seen what they're like in the south of France and you may as well discount them as they never settle!)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Nick.

Appreciated ...

David, I couldn't agree with you more ...

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 22-23 May 2013

Just friends ...

With conditions being almost perfect - despite the wind - for finding and photographing the delicate and charismatic Wood White, I headed into both Surrey and Sussex sectors of the Chiddingfold Forest complex yesterday and earlier today. My visit yesterday produced around a dozen individuals, roosting and settling amongst the verges as the sun disappeared, and showing a previously unnoticed preference for the Greater stitchwort (Stellaria holostea) located along the edges of the woodland tracks. Today produced just three individuals, of which two were females, amidst more difficult conditions.

My favourite of numerous shots below …
UKBP1140027maleandfemale.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Stunning photos, Mark. :D

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Lee.

Appreciated ...

Another from the session below ...
UKBP1140057female.jpg

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,
you`ve out done yourself with your last photo of a Wood White, brilliant.

All the best, Nick.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

What happened with your betulae eggs, Mark? How many hatched and how are they getting on?

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thanks, Nick.

Appreciated :D :D :D

It was only achieved with your help and advice ...

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Now that's a good question, Guy ...
padfield wrote:What happened with your betulae eggs, Mark? How many hatched and how are they getting on?
They haven't hatched yet; at least not as of last night?

They certainly appear to look OK and show no obvious sign of infection/predation, and, when viewed through an eyepiece, they look as intact as the day they were laid. I'm hoping they are just running late like everything else.

I'm pleased to see that your cat is alive and well and look forward to following its progress.

Fingers crossed ...

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 22 May 2013

Before heading out after more exotic quarry.

A female Speckled Wood at rest ...
UKBP1130999female.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

You have been posting some beautiful images lately but that Speckled Wood is outstanding :D

You have probably noticed from my postings that I have a soft spot for Speckled Woods (and Green-veined Whites and blah blah blah.... :wink: ) and your photo is amongst the best I have seen.

Keep it up,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil.

Thanks for your very kind comments :D :D :D
nfreem wrote:You have probably noticed from my postings that I have a soft spot for Speckled Woods.
You'd better have the upperside then ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
UKBP1130957female.jpg

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thank you Mark, especially for me, what can I say.... :D :D

Cheers,

Neil.

Return to “Personal Diaries”