Wurzel

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Wurzel

Post by millerd »

Lovely close-ups of the Whites, Wurzel. :)

Dave

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

I hope you haven't used up your Hairstreak luck on your Large White, Wurzel! :)

I'm happy to leave Greenstreaks till the Marsh Fritillaries are out in a fortnight's time.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Wurzel, just catching up on your diary, cracking shots of the Large and Green-veined Whites, especially the GV where you have captured the underside well without overexposing the topside that is showing, nice one :D

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave for your kind comments :D
Cheers David - I hope so too! :D Are the Marshies really out in two weeks, is it that time already? :shock:
Cheers Neil, it was definitely more luck than judgement :oops: :D

Weekend in Worcester

We got back yesterday from a family weekend away in Worcester visiting my sister in-laws family. Once we’d settled in we headed straight out again to a place called Croone Park with whites and the odd Brimstone fluttering along the verges on the journey there. The first butterfly on site was a male Orange-tip and as usual at this time of year it was on a mission. Down near the lake there seemed to be a good covering of Cuckoo flower but again the whites and Orange-tips were exceedingly flighty so I settled with trying to get shots of water dripping from the Swans beak. We then headed up towards the house and once we’d looked around a Peacock did a fly by as we sat on the steps.
060 - Copy-002.JPG
Before we headed home the children visited the park and while they were swinging and sliding I took a stroll down a little wooded path. There were a few miniscule bees and the odd White around but I was more interested in the Orange-tips. The path seemed to be the territory of two males. One would approach from the left the other from the right, they would meet, spiral upwards in battle and then one would head left and the other would head off right. This happened twice while I was watching and after the second battle I awaited the one from the left. When he arrived back at the dueling spot he took a bit of nectar to pep him up ready for the next bout so I nipped over and clicked away. I was quite happy with the result. :)
085 - Copy-002.JPG
The next day we headed to the local country park – there was even a designated butterfly walk which we took and the habitat looked great for Green Hairstreak, Blues and golden skippers. But unfortunately it’s a bit early in the season and also the sun kept hiding away behind the clouds and the temperature would drop so apart from a few whites and Orange-tips on the journey there and back I drew a blank. No matter I was impressed with the way the housing estates were arranged. There were large banks and verges and footpaths linking all the smaller estates together creating fabulous wildlife corridors.
Once back the children went out on their go-carts and bikes so I nipped over to the end of the road to one of the wildlife paths. A pair of Holly Blue (is that 11 or 12?) kept teasing me by flying around a small Holly tree a few times and then they’d disappear over the neighbours fence! There was also a Peacock and several male Orange-tips, again on a mission but I managed to get a few shots of a Small White and a tiny, black bee with white facial hair.
097 - Copy-001.JPG
110 - Copy-002.JPG
114 - Copy-002.JPG
It was a cracking weekend and although I didn’t see that much I was extremely grateful for the effort put in by my sister and brother in-law. Still I expect I’ve got a bit to catch up on now as everyone else will have seen their first Dukes, Grizzlies, Greenstreaks and possibly Dingy and Pearls, mind you there’s always next weekend – let’s hope the weather plays ball!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Wurzel,

i`m gland you had a cracking weekend with the family, thats what life is all about. Lovely photo of the Swans head.

All the best, Nick.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Nick - I was happier with the OT shot as it was from an unusual angle :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Kingston Lacy

Instead of searching for Greenstreaks, Grizzlies and Dukes I continued on family duty taking the family to Kingston Lacy with my parents. It was a glorious day and we strolled and chatted and as the grandparents were on hand I was able to nip off every now and again to try and get a few shots. The Bluebells were out along the avenue but the banks were roped off and the butterflies would always land on the wrong side. However as they were Small Whites and Orange-tips they never settled for long enough anyway. The walk moved round the wood and one of the rides/paths produced a fly-by Peacock, male Orange-tip on patrol and a mud-puddling Comma. However the stars were a pair of Specklies flitting and settling. Also around were various Nomada bees.
013-001.JPG
020-001.JPG
025-001.JPG
Later while enjoying an ice cream in the kitchen garden we were briefly joined by a fresher looking Comma and a Brimstone, Orange-tip and Small White all patrolled along the hedge – never stopping and finally disappearing over it and along the road. Another pause in the Japanese Garden allowed me to encounter a Peacock up close and personal, my first Large Red Damselfly of the year and all the butterflies one would expect at this time of year plus a few others as well...
049-001.JPG
082-001.JPG
035-001.JPG
Honestly it takes Pete and others an entire season to see all these butterflies, and I managed it in barely 15 seconds! :wink: :lol:
I was then on Piggyback duty for my younger daughter so wasn’t able to chase after the flighty whites and Orange-tips that would pass by. The final rest stop for the sake of my mums’ knees allowed me to finally track down a reasonable shot of the Nomada bees and a Speckled Wood in the shaded garden. Whilst there I also found my second Damselfly, this time blue one, probably a female Azure Blue.
093-001.JPG
098-001.JPG
117-001.JPG
158-002.JPG
A great time was had by all and only a tiny, tiny part of me regretted not starting the search for the skippers and streaks as we drove past the entrance to Martin Down on the way home. Hopefully the good weather will have returned by the weekend so I can get out properly and get up to speed.

Have a goodun
Wurzel

philm63

Post by philm63 »

Wurzel

Your diary is becoming compulsory reading. I must admit I get tempted to branch into other wildlife such as bees and hoverflies and ladybirds but must leave that to future days. I got a ladybird identification pamphlet online that I saved for future use and I am sure I saw a good bee site whilst surfing one evening.
Keep up the fascinating and well illustrated read!

Phil

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Phil for your very kind comment :D I photograph anything I find now, more as a necessity as you never know whether the shots of a Ladybird or bees or whatever will be all that you'll get before the heavens open, the wind picks up, the sun disappears :roll: Blooming weather!

At work

The weather seems to have settled into the usual pattern – great when I’m at work or on family duty and terrible when I have some free time to actually get out and try and see some stuff. So like last year I’ve taken to just getting out and trying to shoot whatever lands in front of my lens. Over the last couple of weeks I’ve found a reasonable assortment of Bees in the wildlife area at work and if the weather doesn’t improve I might get round to posting some of the shots – but hopefully I’ll have plenty of butterfly shots to post instead!
Wishful thinking aside I managed t get out on Friday lunchtime while all the pupils were being treated to a concert by up-and –coming pop sensation “Kane”. It was a bit cool and breezy but there were the usual bees and bumble bees around so I focused my attention on the less obvious mini beasts and I’ve had to borrow the Insect book from the library to help me identify some of them.
The first thing I noticed (and how could anyone miss it?) was a 14 spot Ladybird. It was like a little Acid House smiley beaming at me from the bushes. I little further along the hedge amongst the Hover flies and Bumble bees I found what I think is a species of Rhogogaster or something similar and then finally a possible Ichneumon sp.
14 spot Ladybird 1.JPG
14 spot Ladybird 3.JPG
Rhogogaster question mark.JPG
Ichneumons sp 1.JPG
On the way home I headed home via the back route to avoid the traffic and I followed a white along the hedge for a bit. As I pulled into the lay-by near Enford it landed so I grabbed my camera got out and managed to get 2 shots before it flew off again. Both shots were a bit “blown” as the white balance is well off but as they were the first shots that I got in 5 days I thought I better post it.
019-001.JPG
I just hope there is a break in the weather soon, the butterflies seemed to just be getting going and then it’s back to wind, rain and temperatures just into double figures.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Agreed, Wurzel. With us all being British, we kind of expect the weather to be unkind quite regularly, but one thing in particular is hard to reconcile oneself with, and that is ENTIRE weekends between May and September across the whole country being totally unsuitable for any kind of butterflying.

Mid May seems to have been a problem for years now - cold, wet and windy conditions everywhere. I'd love to get out tomorrow but with temperatures forecast to be no better than 11c and strong winds and cloud on the agenda, it may as well be January.

It's extremely frustrating.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Good report and photos as usual Wurzel :D

Seeing your Ladybird has reminded me, I have not seen a single one yet this year of any type, this time last year I had a proper little plague of them in my garden, mostly 7-spots but a few others as well.

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Dave for the empathy - I might give up with May - I watched the weather tonight and it was just a mass of blue over the south on Tuesday :(
Cheers Neil - I've seen a few 7-spots but they've been tiny, last year we had that great 3 weeks in March that might have brought everything on :?

Brothers in despondency! :(

Despite the fact that the rain was due and the temperatures barely scraped into double figures Philzoid and I made the trek (his much further than mine) to Bentley Wood. Whilst making the arrangements we’d already worked out that it was better to see nothing in company so we’d be brothers in despondency. As we entered the Eastern Clearing with our well trained spotter children (pretty cheap to run, they work for Randoms :wink: ) the sun was in two minds whether to keep shining or just pack it in and save itself for somewhere else. So we chatted and spent about an hour combing the Eastern Clearing but there were only a few bees and Craneflies flying. Just in case I took a shot of the information board so at least I’d have something to show for the outing.
A very early Small Pearl!
A very early Small Pearl!
Somehow we ended up at the track leading to Cowley Copse so we followed it to the area that had been coppiced last year and it was already overgrown. There were some migrants there singing for all they were worth – Cuckoo, Willow Warblers and one of my favourites – Tree Pipit. It even treated us to a few “parachutes”. My “spotter child” needed feeding so we started winding our way back along the track when I spotted a male Oil Beetle amongst the grass on the path. As we stopped to get some shots a Green Tiger Beetle also allowed itself to be photographed.
094 - Copy-001.JPG
128 - Copy.JPG
As I was marvelling at the mini beast’s mighty jaws and horrible feeling of deja vu stole over me. Last year I’d visited Bentley about a week too early for the Pearls when I’d amused myself with Tree Pipits (check), an Oil Beetle (check) and a Green Tiger Beetle (check!). The only butterfly that day had been a Speckled Wood that decided not to present itself fairly. The weather had been very similar that day as well – this didn’t bode well – and we trudged on with that gnawing feeling that we were going to dip.
Then !! Philzoid spotted a movement in the bracken – yep a Pearl and just like that our spirits rose, like a shot of serotonin laced with adrenalin! It was a very flighty individual only perching long enough to see where it had landed let alone to try and approach it. Still in the end waiting for it to fall into our laps seemed to work and it presented itself in the classic “butterfly on a stick” pose.
157 - Copy.JPG
199 - Copy.JPG
214 - Copy.JPG
I found a second one which seemed more intent on closing its wings. We did our best to keep the pretty active pair in view but we got momentarily distracted by a female Oil Beetle and by the time we’d placed it safely back where we’d found it the sun had disappeared again and we almost set off back to the car park.
227 - Copy.JPG
Luckily one of the two appeared and just as the sun finally disappeared not to be seen for the remainder of the day so it settled wings firmly shut so closed wing shots and close-ups were the order of the next hour. From certain angles it looked remarkably pale compared to what I remember from previous years?
238 - Copy.JPG
257 - Copy.JPG
271 - Copy.JPG
349 - Copy.JPG
388 - Copy.JPG
We then thought we’d push our luck and try for a Grizzlie or a Dingy or maybe even a Duke? A Speckled Wood appeared briefly but turned out to be the hardest butterfly to see all day! Despite another 2 hours searching along the paths and the clearings we didn’t add to the days tally. However due to the quality rather than quantity of the butterflies we saw we ended the day as far from brothers in despondency as possible! :D
Have a goodun
Wurzel

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Enjoyable read as usual Wurzel, and some lovely photos as well.

All the best, Nick.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Cracking report Wurzel and smashing photos :D

I must try for some fresh PBF photos myself this year, the past couple of years I have gone to the Wyre Forest at the start of the SPBF flight period and the PBFs have been past their 'best before date'.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:However due to the quality rather than quantity of the butterflies we saw we ended the day as far from brothers in despondency as possible! :D
United in triumph I'd say :D ... but pity this didn't translate to the football front :( . It's in the balance now and just to compound things my missus supports Spurs :cry: .

PS The 'stained glass window' shot is a cracker :o :mrgreen:

Susie

Post by Susie »

Epic, Wurzel, and great photos to boot! :-D

David M

Post by David M »

Perseverance pays off, Wurzel. Well done and some lovely shots (as ever).

millerd

Post by millerd »

Now I am envious! :mrgreen: I had decided to go to Bentley for PBF this year again (I usually get there for the SPBF start, so the PBF are a little tired), but timing it right is proving a nightmare with the unpredictable weather. At least I now know they've started! Lovely pictures, Wurzel!

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers Nick for your kind comment :D
Cheers Neil :D PBF's are one of my faves but you're right, they do fade quickly :?
Cheers Philzoid - agreed Brothers in Triumph, and long may it continue :D And you never know Spurs might have a bad day :wink:
Cheers Susie for your kind comment - good to see you've added PBF to the tally too :D
Cheers David for your kind comment :D - I've given up waiting for the weather to improve now so I'm just getting out there anyway :?
Cheers Dave :D It makes a nice change for you to be envious of me :wink: If you get the weather definitely get to Bentley Wood there will only be more of them by now.

Bentley Wood part 2

On Sunday I didn’t really get a chance to look through all of my shots as I was rushing in my excitement to get a posting out. So I had another look and there were a few that I’d skipped over and missed. So I thought I would post those as well because the weather for the next few days doesn’t look like it’s going to be up to much for butterflies.
067 - Copy (2).JPG
117 - Copy-001.JPG
428 - Copy (2).JPG
I also did some reflecting about how we managed to find this species. Last year we headed out in similar temperatures and conditions but a week earlier. Like last year the day started bright but the sun disappeared from mid morning behind a thick blanket of cloud but that didn’t seem to be the key – Philzoid reasoned that temperature was the kick starter to bring them out from their hiding/roosting place and I reckon he’s right. The sun in the morning started to warm the site but the cloud that came over from mid-morning held the temperatures up and there the butterflies were. So it seems that brilliant sunny weather isn’t a must and they can handle the cooler temperatures just into double figures. But then this is the “April Fritillary”.
Also despite seeing the species across the range of Bentley Wood; Eastern Clearing, Cowleys Copse, East Howe Copse and along the rides to the crossroad and beyond, the area we found them in this year is pretty close to where we found them last year, in fact just further along the path. They seem to like to be on the dead Bracken and in amongst the previous years’ Bramble growth, venturing out along the twigs like tightrope walkers to warm up in the weak sun. So it’ll be worth checking this area in subsequent years.
In terms of numbers last year we found 5, this year only 2, but I’m not too concerned because the first was reported on the Bank holiday Monday and up until our visit no more were reported at the site so I think we were seeing part of the first wave of emergence. When we visited last year they had been seen in ones to threes for almost a fortnight before our visit.
The final thing I noticed was that one of the individuals from this year seemed much paler, more orange and cream than the orange and red on the underside of last year. I’ve posted a shot from this year and one from last year for a comparison. How much this comes down to lighting I’m not sure but to my eyes anyway there is a noticeable difference. I thought the same thing last year about the Small Pearls (browner and less “red”) compared to 2011. :?
This year 12th May
This year 12th May
Last year 6th May
Last year 6th May
176-002.JPG
421 - Copy.JPG
This has to rate up there as one of my favourites as for me it is the first highlight of the year! Also the brilliant upperside looks fantastic against the dull browns and weak greens of spring and add to this the underside which is enough to get even the most uncouth Dorsetian waxing lyrical – sublime. :D
Have a goodun

Wurzel

Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Wurzel wrote:The final thing I noticed was that one of the individuals from this year seemed much paler, more orange and cream than the orange and red on the underside of last year. I’ve posted a shot from this year and one from last year for a comparison. How much this comes down to lighting I’m not sure but to my eyes anyway there is a noticeable difference.
That was my initial impression too, paler in colour from those we saw last year :| . Those we saw last year I think really were just out of the chrysalis, getting theoir wings dry whereas these, although one would consider fresh, were quite active by comparison. Perhaps a time difference of a day or two, or even a few hours is enough to cause a slight 'fade' in colour:?

Have to say I'm impressed with these latest photos, particularly the three hoverflies on a dandelion and the tiger beetle which is almost as green as my face right now :mrgreen: :wink:

What's our chances for the weather to clear (a bit) this weekend :?: I'm hoping to put in a visit to Chiddingfold for Wood Whites.

Return to “Personal Diaries”