Katrina

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Katrina

Post by Wurzel »

Apart from a pair of very long handled scissors to get rid of the surrounding grasses :wink: :lol: I haven't got much else tip wise - though judging by the latest set of cracking SPBFs you don't need any :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Janet and Andrew.
Thanks Wurzel but I think my sneaking up skills need improving sometimes. I have just followed the link to your website which is excellent! :D

Diary entries for 2018 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Love the SPBF on the BC sign, Katrina. :) It's almost a natural seal of approval.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks David, I couldn't believe my luck when it landed there!

Late morning I went to Iping Common but there were no silver-studded blues out yet. The main area I tend to look for them in has been burned. I know they do this intentionally to help the wildlife periodically and it also says on the notice board they had an accidental fire at some point. The other good area round the corner is ok though. I did find some shieldbugs though.

I stopped at Anchor Bottom on the way back for 30 mins and there was still plenty of adonis blues.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_2386.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_2387.jpeg
DSC01745.JPG

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I managed back to Anchor Bottom for another hour this evening and bumped into Neil Hulme . A lot, lot, lot of Adonis blues.
Attachments
DSC01796.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I was at Anchor Bottom in late summer last year, and Adonis Blues were in vast numbers then, possibly due to warm, wet conditions. So I’m pleased the spring brood has continued the same way!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I went to Anchor Bottom again this evening to enjoy the experience of so many Adonis Blues. Also seen were a few Common Blues and Small Heaths.
Attachments
Adonis Blue pair
Adonis Blue pair
Adonis Blue
Adonis Blue
Common Blue
Common Blue
DSC01940.JPG

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Not surprised you went back there, Katrina. If I live there, I think I would be there every evening!

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Yes, I was just surprised there wasn’t more people there! Very quiet.

trevor

Post by trevor »

Your last image is almost a masterpiece.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

An fantastic set of images from recent posts Katrina but as Trevor stated the final one is the piece de resistance, it would make a great cover for Butterfly magazine :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see the comparison in ground colour between Common and Adonis Blue, Katrina. Both highly attractive in their own right.

The 'face down' pose is most definitely in vogue this year!

Andrew555

Post by Andrew555 »

Lovely stuff Katrina. It was great to meet you on Sunday. :D

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks David, Wurzel and Trevor.Thanks Andrew it was good to meet you to and put a face to a name.

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

I went back to Park Corner Heath/ Rowland Wood this evening. Didn't do so well with the SPBF only seeing one. I did find some roosting common blues though.
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_23b2.jpeg

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely shot, Katrina. I really must spend some early evening time with these butterflies!

Katrina

Iping Common

Post by Katrina »

Thanks David, any butterfly posing is worth a shot.

This morning I went to Iping Common early. I found 76 roosting SSBs and a further 2 on the way out. (76 male and 4 female) Also seen was a single Meadow Brown. I had a wander in Stedham Common but didn't see any. I saw 3 Speckled Woods there.
Attachments
DSC02334.jpg
fullsizeoutput_23b7.jpeg
DSC02188.JPG
fullsizeoutput_23c7.jpeg
DSC02462.jpg
fullsizeoutput_23c0.jpeg

ernie f

Post by ernie f »

Nice shots Katrina. We are a bit behind you at Broxhead, where I counted 23 today.

Ernie F
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Katrina :D The first female is really well 'studded', more 'blotched' :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Katrina

Post by Katrina »

Thanks Ernie, there may have been more too as I didn’t look too far from the main hotspot area near the bench.

Thanks Wurzel , she was a beauty but in an awkward position so most of the photos of her were blurred!shame about the nick in the wing too

Return to “Personal Diaries”