Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Maximus

Re: Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline, this probably does happen fairly often, it's just finding them :wink:

Thanks Goldie, so would I :D

While we were away our single Purple Hairstreak lava pupated. He seems to have done this in a rather unusual place. All of those we reared last year pupated on the 'ground', amongst the moss in the pot!

P1180455.Resize.JPG
P1180456.Resize.JPG
Pupa among the Oak buds
Pupa among the Oak buds

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
William

Post by William »

Amazing photos of that mixed pairing Mike - look forward to seeing some Glanville photos :)

BWs,

William

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Very odd place. As far as I know (from what I read at any rate) they always pupate on the ground and most are taken into ants nests. Having said that they seem to have the perfect camaflage to pupate where this one has, it would be a very sharp eyed Blue Tit who would find that!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Fantastic documentation of the Purple Hairstreak Pupa.The pupa has great camouflage next to the bud remains. I feel this occurrence may happen with a select few, I think that the final instar larva might be able to choose the best situation in which to pupate. It makes great sense, in the instance of Purple Hairstreak colonies, which have territories on oaks which are blocked in by other trees within a woodland complex, to adopt this method of pupating on and higher up in the canopy, without having to fall or travel to the ground. Additionally to being found in ants nests they do pupate on the trunks of oak, assuming at any height. These are all just my theories but at the very least it is plausible :). Great work as the first Purple Hairstreaks in the wild normally start to pupate between now and the first week of June. I'm going to guess a female will emerge, fun if I'm wrong. Has the pupa produced a silk thread to keep it attached ? A bit hard to tell at that resolution.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It's a very odd place bugboy, but as you say it's perfectly perfect camouflaged among the Oak buds.

Hi Jamie, yes your theories do make sense, why leave the tree if it's not necessary! I'll try to take some better shots of the pupa, i'm pretty sure that it has attached itself to the Oak with silk. I'll post them in a couple of days time. I'll also post what sex it is when it emerges :)

David M

Post by David M »

Brown Argus x Adonis Blue...

That is an incredible sighting, Mike.

Over to the geneticists to tell us whether this is a 'viable' pairing....

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

Great report and photos from Bonchurch Down :D

I have seen male Brown Argus chasing after females of other 'blues' a few times but never witnessed an actual pairing...amazing stuff.

Cheers,

Neil

Jamie Burston

Post by Jamie Burston »

Maximus wrote: Hi Jamie, yes your theories do make sense, why leave the tree if it's not necessary! I'll try to take some better shots of the pupa, i'm pretty sure that it has attached itself to the Oak with silk. I'll post them in a couple of days time. I'll also post what sex it is when it emerges :)
It's all really interesting stuff, much appreciated for doing that. With my Purple Hairstreak article next year and that I'm now the Purple Hairstreak species champion for Sussex BC, I feel I need to learn as much as possible. Especially the pupa stage which is still clouded in mystery. I very much enjoy looking back on your previous rearing experiences of this species.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike.
Super set of images !. What are the chances of repeating that Brown Argus triple.
Good luck with the Purple Hairstreak pupae.

Happy hunting,
TREVOR.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks William, I somehow missed your kind comment :roll: some Glanvilles to follow :)

Hi David, It would be interesting to return to the IOW for the second brood Adonis, who knows what you might find!

Thanks Neil, you were at Bonchurch last year and got some great photos too :) I've never seen a mixed pairing before - it was amazing.

It is very interesting Jamie, I know that Purple Hairstreak are your favourite species, therefore it's great that you are Sussex BC - PH species champion. I'll try to get some extra photos on tomorrow.

Thanks Trevor, pretty slim chance I think :wink: Hopefully the Purple Hairstreak will emerge sometime in late June.

Isle of Wight (part 2)

We decided that we would spend our second day on the island visiting Wheelers Bay, hoping that the Glanville Fritillaries had begun to emerge. Arriving at the car park we noted that the wind was lighter than on our first day, so set off with a certain amount of haste along the promenade. It wasn't long before we spotted our first Glanville Fritillary perched low down on some vegetation.

P1180865.Resize.JPG

We saw ten more Glanvilles as we walked along searching, some of them on the Valerian which was growing in abundance along the undercliff.

P1180394.Resize.JPG
P1180425.Resize.JPG
P1180980.Resize.JPG
P1190354.Resize.JPG
These were a mating pair which had just separated
These were a mating pair which had just separated
The only female we saw
The only female we saw
P1190057.Resize.JPG
As we were taking photos we heard a familiar voice behind us and turned to find Andy Butler talking to a group of people he was just returning with from a field trip along the revetment. We chatted to him briefly about all things Glanville and he asked whether we'd seen Glanville Fritillary pupae in the wild. We said we hadn't, so he invited us to pop up to his house when we'd finished with our walk then he'd show us where he'd found some pupae in a very unusual place that very morning. When we climbed the steep steps up to his house a little while later we were amazed to see a fair number of Glanvilles nectaring on his well-planted terrace garden just below the house.

P1180479.Resize.JPG
These shots were taken in Andy's garden
These shots were taken in Andy's garden
P1190082.Resize.JPG
P1190087.jpgA.JPGResize.JPG
This discarded glove was where the larvae had pupated
This discarded glove was where the larvae had pupated

Andy also managed to find us a larva which was just beginning to pupate!

P1190098.Resize.JPG

We also saw 4 Common Blues, 1 Small White, 1 Large White, 1 Peacock, 1 Holly Blue, 1 female Orange-tip and 2 Clouded Yellows.

P1180417.Resize.JPG

Another great day out in lovely surroundings - To be continued...

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well Mike, what a great time you obviously had. Not just great shots but really unusual ones too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I can't wait for the next installment. Where ever you are planning on going next - can I come too? :lol: :lol:

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Those Glanville images are some of the best i've seen, Photography at Wheelers Bay is not easy,especially
when a dark Butterfly settles on chalk in very bright sunshine, which were the conditions when i last went
there.
How does your very yellow Clouded Yellow compare to the one in my diary ?. that one dazzled.

All the best,
TREVOR.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Agree with other comments Mike, fascinating reading, some really unusual occurences...great stuff :wink:

Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

It was a great time Pauline,it's just a case of right place right time :) next instalment follows. Not sure where next, but we've only got a two man tent :lol: :lol:

Thanks Trevor, Wheelers Bay can be challenging for photography. Cloudies always dazzle :)

Thanks Bill, glad you enjoyed the read.

Isle of Wight (part 3)

On our final day we decided to head to Brading Down, where we had seen, among others, plenty of Wall Browns last year. Walking across the down it was apparent that it had become fairly overgrown since our last visit. Common Blues were not so common and Dingy Skippers appeared in low numbers. The habitat however seemed to favour Holly Blues. we saw at least a dozen, mostly females of which we got some shots, although we also saw several males. We only saw one Wall, but as usual it kept going!

P1190240.Resize.JPG
P1180630.Resize.JPG
P1180635.Resize.JPG
P1190249.Resize.JPG

We also saw a Red Admiral sitting on a post, our first sighting of this species for a while!

P1180307.Resize.JPG

We decided it was time to move on to Compton Bay in West Wight as this had been a rich source of various butterfly species for us last year. And indeed it was again this year, with the notable exception of Green Hairstreak, which were mostly very worn and faded!

P1180215.Resize.JPG
Brown Argus are having a good year
Brown Argus are having a good year
P1180943.Resize.JPG
We saw some lovely fresh Small Blues
We saw some lovely fresh Small Blues

Mating Small Heaths and Common Blues..

P1190252.Resize.JPG
P1190295.Resize.JPG

We saw plenty of Dingy Skippers and Common Blues..

P1190290.Resize.JPG
P1190323.Resize.JPG

We also found our first Small Copper and Large Skipper of 2015 - Thursday 21st May - earlier than last year!

P1180702.Resize.JPG
P1190296.Resize.JPG

We still have a few other shots to add to finish this posting, some butterfly related, some not, at a later date...

millerd

Post by millerd »

Wonderful shots from the I.o.W., Maximus. What a place to spend a few days at this time of year. :) I can't begin to pick out a highlight...

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mike,

Great reports and photos from your visit to the IOW, brings back memories of being there myself last year :D ...can't believe that was a year ago :shock:

Cheers,

Neil.

kevling

Post by kevling »

Nice report from IOW Maximus. I like especially like the Common Blues mating.

Regards Kev

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Nice reports with some beautiful photographs to match, I'm glad the Glanvilles are doing well down there :)

Some addictions are good for the soul!
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic series of reports from the IOW Mike - those Glannies are something else I haven't seen one for two years now :mrgreen: The Clouded Yellow is really Canary coloured, a really clouded YELLOW :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

Hi Mike,
Yes good to see more RAs. Looking forward their White cousins !, only about twenty days to wait
for them.
Great report from the IOW. Brilliant Glanville images.

Best wishes,
TREVOR.

Return to “Personal Diaries”