David M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Andrew555

Re: David M

Post by Andrew555 »

Great reports David, and lovely images. I like your Dingys especially, very nice. :D
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Looks like things are getting going nicely down in South Wales David. I love that shot of the Small Blue and Common Blue together :D

Cheers,

Neil.
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks for the comments, all. Yes, things are properly on the move here now. In fact, it's probably the best time of the season here.

Thursday 16th May 2019 – Marsh Fritillary….

I hadn’t expected Marsh Fritillary to be quite on the wing yet, but given the change in weather from tomorrow, I decided to spend a little time on Fairwood Common, near my home, as I wouldn’t have the chance again until my return from the Pyrenees at the end of the month.
I’m delighted to say that I was wrong; they HAVE emerged, and all four seen were gleaming fresh:
1MF(1).jpg
This is the habitat in which they were seen:
1Fairwood(1).jpg
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

That's a lovely fresh Marsh Fritillary, David :) The habitat appears very different to the chalk downland where I normally see them. I hope to take a trip out to see some very soon!
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Mike. Yes, the name 'marsh' fritillary can be a little confusing in some places, but here in south Wales they all prefer boggier terrain!

Thursday 16th May 2019 – Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary….

As well as Marsh fritillaries, I was also fortunate enough to find a solitary Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary. It’s unusual to see these before the ragged robin is in flower, and I reckon that is several days away:
1SPBFups(1).jpg
1SPBFuns(1).jpg
Green Hairstreaks were numerous, probably around three dozen:
1GH(1).jpg
Their biggest concentration was in this sheltered bluebell patch:
1Bluebells(1).jpg
A Peacock, a Small White, a Small Heath and two male Common Blues were seen too:
1CBups(1).jpg
1CBuns(1).jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

A Small Pearl now, David - I do like that underside... :) Something else to start looking for, though whichever set I go for requires a journey. I envy you having them (and the Marshies) relatively close to you. :mrgreen: :)

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Dave. Yes, it's good to have this pair within 10 minutes of my front door. However, unlike you I have to travel 2 hours+ for the chalk grassland species. :(

Swings and roundabouts....
kevling

Post by kevling »

David,

A like the SBPF that you found. I'm off to Sussex on holiday next weekend and this has wetted my appetite as this species is top of my list for that week. Please let the weather gods look down on me.

Regards
Kev
trevor

Post by trevor »

Swings and roundabouts indeed David, but myself and I suspect a few more
on here are a little envious of the variety of Fritillaries you have on your doorstep.
Particularly the High Brown, they are now a very long way from Sussex.

Great report and images.

Have an enjoyable trip to the Pyrenees.
Trevor.
David M

Post by David M »

trevor wrote:Swings and roundabouts indeed David, but myself and I suspect a few more
on here are a little envious of the variety of Fritillaries you have on your doorstep.
Particularly the High Brown, they are now a very long way from Sussex.

Great report and images.

Have an enjoyable trip to the Pyrenees.
Trevor.
Thanks, Trevor. Yes, we're good for Fritillaries; not so good for Emperors and Admirals. :(

The Pyrenees are currently very enjoyable, btw. :D
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! David , Great shots of the Pearls and the Hair Streaks I keep hoping I'll catch up with them once I'm on the move, that Hair Streak on the Bluebell is lovely :D Goldie :D
David M

Post by David M »

Friday 31st May 2019 - encouraging numbers....

I ventured out onto Fairwood Common between 3pm and 430pm to see how Marsh & Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries were doing in this relatively unspoiled area of the Gower peninsula.

In an hour and a half, I counted 75 Marsh Frits and 39 SPBFs, aong with small numbers of Common Blue, Green Hairstreak & Small Heath.

Marshies were commonest in the areas with longer grass:
1Marshmaleups(1).jpg
I kept looking for an amenable female, but sadly all seen were active males, who were combing every inch of the habitat looking for a mate.

The male Small Pearls were doing likewise, although I later found a sheltered area where both females and males were content to put the brakes on and nectar for a while.

This was not an uncommon sight:
1SPBFx2(1).jpg
Eventually, I latched on to a placid female who obliged with an underwing shot:
1SPBFfemuns(1).jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Saturday 1st June 2019 - Finding the females....

After yesterday's glut of male Marsh Fritillaries on Fairwood Common, I wanted to return to see if I could find any females.

As people know, these are far more approachable than the males and are larger and more brightly coloured.

I managed to find a rather worn one in the first 10 minutes or so, but it wasn't till I was almost back to my car that I discovered this gem, who was surprisingly mint fresh:
1Marshfemups(1).jpg
1Marshfemaleuns(1).jpg
Yet again, there were good numbers of both Marsh and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries about. If anything, the SPBFs were more numerous, with a sheltered section replete with bramble flowers harbouring double figure numbers.

Hopefully they will go on to have a successful breeding season.
David M

Post by David M »

Thursday 6th June - Meadow Brown

Summer is here! I saw my first Meadow Browns during an hour and a half's visit to Whiteford Burrows on the NW Gower coast this afternoon.

This was the sheltered area where I saw the first:
1WhitefordB(1).jpg
There were 3 in total, but all were flighty males who were not interested in posing for the camera:
1MeadBr(1).jpg
Butterfly numbers weren't great. Small Heaths were the most prominent species with around two dozen:
1SmHth(2).jpg
About a dozen Common Blues were seen, including this mating pair, which, for a short while, both had their wings open:
1CommBlpair(2).jpg
There were about 8 Small Blues, a handful of worn Brown Argus, three Brimstones, two Red Admirals, a Speckled Wood and a Dingy Skipper.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

That looks like another Blue female David. Did you see any brown ones? Well done with the Meadow Brown shot. I have seen 2 and failed miserably both times :(
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote:That looks like another Blue female David. Did you see any brown ones?
That was the only female I saw, Pauline! I'll have a look for them again this weekend (weather permitting).
David M

Post by David M »

Sunday 9th June 2019 - Large Skipper

Today saw marginal weather conditions for butterflies, but I nevertheless ventured out to Crymlyn Burrows on the Swansea coast and stayed for just over an hour.
1CrymlynB(1).jpg
Temperatures weren't high enough for airborne activity, but it didn't take me long to spot my first UK Large Skipper of 2019 resting amongst the grass:
1LgeSkmaleups(1).jpg
1LgeSkmaleuns(1).jpg
Surprisingly, the next two seen were both females. Normally, I see 1 female for about every 30 males with this species:
1LgeSkfemaleups(1).jpg
A few Small Heaths took to the air when the cloud lifted slightly, and there were several Small Blues and Brown Argus about too. I saw about 10 Common Blues, including two females. In keeping with the current theme of 'blue' females, this one very much belonged in that category:
1CommBlfemale(1).jpg
Sad that the Orange Tips have gone for another year. This site seems rather bereft without them. In another week or two however, Ringlets, Meadow Browns and Dark Green Fritillaries will fill that void.
Last edited by David M on Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Goodbye Marshies....

Things brightened up this afternoon, so I thought I'd have an hour or so on Fairwood Common near where I live.

With a 10 day trip to Italy looming, this was my last chance to see both Marsh and Small Pearl Bordered Fritillaries in the UK this year.

The count was dismal in comparison to 9 days ago. Just 6 Marsh Frits and 8 Small Pearls were seen, in contrast to the 75 and 39 respectively just over a week ago.

That said, things are constantly renewing themselves, and I spotted my first summer brood Small Tortoiseshell, looking ever so fresh and vivid:
1SmTortups(1).jpg
1SmTortuns(1).jpg
The next time I potter around here, the place will have been taken over by Dark Green Fritillaries, Ringlets and Meadow Browns. Soon after, Hedge Browns will join the party and we'll be over the other side of the hill into late summer! :(
philm63

Post by philm63 »

You are getting all the species I am still waiting for David, nice group of shots. Phil
millerd

Post by millerd »

That certainly is a striking Small Tortoiseshell, David - the black areas are larger than normal on the forewings I think, which is what makes it stand out. :)

Another blue female Common Blue too - I think there are more in the first brood than the second, and this may possibly be linked to cooler temperatures when in the pupa. This sort of temperature variation affects the colours of quite a few species - maybe this one too.

Cheers,

Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”