Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Tutton

Re: Pauline

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline - yes the small coppers are the ones with blue on the hind wings.
It is worth continuing past the billy trail, if you can resist, and on to sandy point- always a chance of migrants here as its the first landfall for them after crossing the channel with good nectar sources and there is also a Grayling colony here - Wall have been noted in the Hants annual report too.
Interestingly I note on the Sussex BC website that a 140 clouded yellows were recorded on a Lucerne field at Thorney Island which is only a couple of miles from Hayling, so with such an influx there could well be some rarer species mixed in :D

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Evening Hoggers, at the moment I think it's a good idea to scrutinise ANY butterfly as you just don't know what you might find with all these migrants being spotted. I even look in gardens as I walk past these day - so exciting, isn't it? :D

Thanks for that info Mark. I hadn't spotted it on the Sussex site and I will certainly give Sandy Point a visit soon.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I made a brief stop at Paulsgrove yesterday to check on second brood Small Blue. Lots of Common Blue (and Chalkhills) around but what surprised me was how tiny and dark the female Common Blues were - they could so easily have been confused with Small Blues certainly when in flight
P1200968ad.jpg
I don't think I've been to this site at this time of year - it was teeming with butterflies and the very many Buddleia bushes were covered in a variety of butterflies including masses of fresh Small Tortoiseshell. I recalled last year when I had so many problems locating a single individual:
P1200949ad.jpg
P1210077ad.jpg
First brood Small Blues were plentiful but I struggled to find half a dozen yesterday and these were all very worn; with a single exception they were all male. Their condition was so poor I didn't take a single photo. However, there were a lot of very fresh butterflies around including Painted Lady and these Meadow Brown:
P1200963ad.jpg
I have struggled to get away from those pesky Clouded Yellow ( :lol: :lol: ) but it was not to be. In the short time I was there I saw 4 - the numbers seem to be building up. At one point there were 2 on a Buddleia which I had overlooked until a 3rd chased them both off and they all went spiraling out of sight together.
P1200985ad.jpg
P1200987ad.jpg
I am wondering if this is another 'pale' version but unlike my earlier Helice, this one was pale yellow/orange on the upper wings rather than the distinctive black and white of the Helice form.

I decided to change tack and try to capture these butterflies in flight. I failed miserably :lol:
P1210068a.jpg
P1210032ad.jpg
At one point 2 Clouded Yellows were 'dancing' round each other in a similar manner to SWF and I thought perhaps I was going to see a mating pair - I tried to take a photo. This is quite possibly the worst photo I have ever taken and definitely the worst I have ever posted. It is a case of spot the 2 Clouded Yellow :roll: :oops:
P1210039.JPG

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
I too have noticed both male and female common blues recently that are no bigger than a small blue, also quite a few gatekeepers seem very small. My guess would be that environmental conditions might have caused this?
Mark :D

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
David M

Post by David M »

Pauline wrote: At one point 2 Clouded Yellows were 'dancing' round each other in a similar manner to SWF and I thought perhaps I was going to see a mating pair - I tried to take a photo. This is quite possibly the worst photo I have ever taken and definitely the worst I have ever posted.
Doesn't matter, Pauline. Even Nigel Kiteley would be hard pressed to present an open-winged shot of a Clouded Yellow.

On those occasions where you're capturing views that are normally 'off the radar' then I think any kind of image is welcome. I posted a shot of a female Grayling wings-open yesterday which was appalling from an aesthetic perspective, but at the very least it showed a Grayling's uppersides, which are seldom seen, so you have to err towards the functional sometimes, which is precisely what you've done.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Pauline wrote:Oops! Forgot to say - Good luck today Paul wherever you are. There used to be Wall Browns around the forts, particularly Fort Widley but I believe they have been gone for quite a few years now (I have certainly never seen any there in recent times). Anyway, let me know how you get on, whatever!
Hi Pauline

Nothing to report yet on Wall Browns. I visited the area today after work as the weather was a bit better than yesterday, but to be honest it was probably too late in the day. I need to spend some time there earlier in the day. Your not too far off when you say 'forts' but it is probably not the ones your thinking of :wink: This is just a hunch/feeling really backed up by a little knowledge, that seems to have worked for me so far this year. I might be way off, but I will keep on looking. Wall have certainly been reported from the area in the past, but like you say not for a few years. I do not know what Wall Brown have against Hampshire :( , they seem to be widespread in Dorset, Sussex and IOW. I just have a feeling that there must be some in the general area of North/East Portsmouth.

Your helice was a great find :D You should not be worried that it was not exotic enough. Hopefully a few more will turn up :D

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline
Out of interest Wall was very common all along Portsdown hill in the seventies barely raising a second glance except to see if was an abberation. There has been the odd report over the past couple of years and the habitat looks good so who knows?
Mark

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Pauline, I know I'm a bit late here :roll: but you have certainly been among the Clouded Yellows recently, lovely photos. Congrats on the Helice :D

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Hi Mark, yes I noticed some very, very small Gatekeepers also but these tended to be variable with some of normal size. As to what might have caused these anomalies, well, you'd have to ask someone who knows what they are talking about :lol: but you're very probably right that it is linked to environmental factors. I had heard from a work colleague that the Wall Brown used to be very common in that area but the closest to home I have seen it was a couple at Fort Gilkicker some years ago now :( . I hope you are more successful Paul. Many already know I have no sense of direction so I haven't a clue which way is North of Portsmouth. I am guessing it could be round Gosport or perhaps Fort Cumberland which Mark mentions. These old military bases seem to be a good bet for butterflies. Put me out of my misery eh? and tell me where you're hunting?

Thanks for your kind words David, I appreciate them. I was just trying something different which didn't work out as I'd hoped. I didn't know whether to publish that photo as it is just sooo bad but I have always maintained that this is a journey for me and both good and bad will be recorded. What really amazes me is that well over 100 readers have looked at that photo - I wonder how many of them could spot the 2 butterflies :lol: :lol: :lol: . Guy has recently given a great description relating to SWF which sums up exactly what this pair were doing.

Hi Mike - thank you - the Helice was a total surprise and very exciting (actually the mating Wall Brown was very exciting so that was the icing on the cake for me). Just about everywhere I go I am being surrounded by Clouded yellows and I am having a whale of a time. I am trying to arrange outings which are in likely places for migrants as you just never know at the moment what is round the corner. Even if there is nothing round the corner the anticipation, the unpredictability, the possibility and potential all add to the excitement - what a great summer! Hope we meet up again some time soon.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline, just doing some catching up, some great photos and reports :D

I know what you mean about trying different things, sometime they work and sometimes they don't but they all capture memories of great sightings in some way so from that perspective they are all worth seeing.

I noticed up in Arnside that some of the Gatekeepers, especially males, were very small. On the other hand some of the females were a good size. Interestingly there were also some very small (and brown)female Common Blues whereas the males CBs were all normal size. I posted some of the CBs in my diary but the size difference doesn't really come across in the photos.

I am going to be down in Dorset in a couple of weeks, save some of those Clouded Yellows for me please :wink:

All the best,

Neil F.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi pauline
You were close Gosport is west of Portsmouth - the chalk pit at Paulsgrove is the north :D

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks for that clarification Mark :roll: :lol: As a business analyst it's astonishing that I somehow managed to find my way all over the country!

Morning Neil, Dorset is a lovely county and the weather is forecast to be good until the end of August at least so I'll be very surprised if you don't see Clouded yellow and lots more too.

I am very aware that for me the season is almost at an end so I have been sorting through my photos and have decided to post a few that somehow got 'left behind' in the frenzy of the less common species. A male and female Common Blue whilst looking for Brown Hairstreaks at Noar Hill:
P1200614ad.jpg
P1200663ad.jpg
The deer that watched me scrutinise the Blackthorn and one of those responsible no doubt for all the ticks this year.
P1200649d.jpg
The Meadow Brown who fiercely defended his patch as I searched for PE at the Straits:
P1170412ad.jpg
and the Brown Argos being buffeted by the wind
P1200699d.jpg
Not forgetting the delightful family of Wrens which kept me amused whilst watching WLH at Cosham
P1170474d.jpg
and one of the many unfortunates I stumbled across on my travels:
P1180185d.jpg
I am looking forward to the rest of the season but in a more relaxed way - having seen a fair selection of butterflies this year and an amazing quantity at that, and with the last of the UK species having emerged, it is now a case of just waiting to see what else turns up .....

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

'It is now just a case of waiting until something else turns up ...........' - Well, I didn't have long to wait! I am very grateful to Mark for bringing to my attention the Long-tailed blue he discovered yesterday and also for the VERY precise directions he gave me (when I find the Swallowtail you shall be the first to know Mark :lol: ). I was aware that the butterfly was not in perfect condition but that didn't dull my excitement and I have to confess I didn't get very many hours sleep last night. Mark had explained that the site faced East so any early sun would cause the butterflies to stir. Having hastily arranged an animal sitter I was at Sandy Point just before 7.30am. This is the gravel car park where the butterflies can be found:
P1210188d.jpg
- the sun was already warming up the area and a few butterflies were on the wing. I was concerned that either the previous night's storms or the very many birds would have seen the end of the little butterfly but shortly after 8.00am, there it was, right in front of me on a leaf. It was fidgety but still warming up so I managed to get a few open and closed wing shots. I would have liked longer and more opportunity - the photos are not great - but after 2-3 minutes it suddenly took off and I lost it amongst the gravel. I called Mark who came straight over and we searched for another couple of hours before spotting it again. I got close enough for a positive ID but then it did its disappearing trick again, flying low against the ground, very fast and well camouflaged and we both lost sight of it again. Unfortunately Mark had to leave and shortly afterwards I was rewarded with one more encounter but no photo opportunity - it confronted a female Common Blue which enabled a direct side-by-side comparison demonstrating how different the 2 actually are. Eventually hunger and thirst got the better of me but a great morning out and lots of other butterflies including Clouded yellow of course - later.
P1210175dd.jpg
P1210178ad.jpg
P1210170ad.jpg
...and the stunning views in the other direction:
P1210189d.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Very nice find Pauline, I can imagine how hard it would be to follow flying low in a gravel car park. Cathy and I were at Sandy Point a few days ago and would you believe were in that very car park but saw only Common Blues some of which were tiny! The Nature Reserve itself was closed due to some coastal defence work going on, but we did see a Clouded Yellow fly past at 100 mph.

Mike

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on the Long Tails Pauline :D :mrgreen: Are those the Kent ones just out of interest as I've cashed in all my Brownie points for this year :? Might be able to wangle something closer to home though :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Nice one Pauline, congratulations :mrgreen: :D

I find it amazing that people can give directions to these butterflies and they will still be there the following day, or even longer sometimes.

All the best,

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

Nice to see an image. Well done, Pauline.

Long Tailed Blue, Clouded Yellow (including helice), continental Swallowtail, Queen of Spain Fritillary and Geranium Bronze.

What's due to turn up next? Monarch, anyone?

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Yep - there have been at least 2 Monarch sightings I'm aware of. One in Kent (although this doesn't feel "right" given the location) and another in Hampshire in Lee on the Solent. However, I'm not sure if either have been validated, and I've see no photos.

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

I think Pale or Bergers clouded yellow are highly likely and Monarch have been seen at least five times this year only three miles from where Pauline and I saw the LTB.
Fingers crossed for scarce swallowtail bath white lol :D Pauline you promised :lol:

David M

Post by David M »

Pete Eeles wrote:Yep - there have been at least 2 Monarch sightings I'm aware of.
Interesting stuff. Given the southerly wind direction could these be from the Canary Islands rather than America?

With more southerly airflow and ideal conditions forecast for this week, it could well be that even more exotic species will find their way to our islands. Fingers crossed.

Return to “Personal Diaries”