essex buzzard

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: essex buzzard

Post by Pete Eeles »

I agree, great reports and photos; thanks for sharing, Mark!

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thanks for the positive feedback,guys! I'm just glad people enjoy my postings,and think i have something worthy to contribute. Were it not for this great site,though,we not would have opportunity to share so massive thanks go to you,Pete! Lee,i hope, despite the rain,you have had a good summer and have led some great walks in Cornwall. And keep an eye open for Long-tailed Blues,there are a few around so you never know!

FRIDAY 21 AUG-DORSET LAST DAY

We said our goodbyes to our charming hosts,Lisa and Clive. Then,with a brighter day in prospect,a visit to Ballard Down,near Swanage,was in order.

The emergence of the second generation Adonis Blues signals the end of summer. I hann't seen any elsewhere on this holiday, suggesting a late emergence this year. But with some sunny spells we soon found them at Ballard-not in big numbers but mint fresh males. Quality over quantity. Common Blues and lots of Brown Argus too. At least one male and two female Clouded Yellow,together with the usural Gatekeepers,Meadow Browns and a few Marbled Whites and Speckled Wood and a tiny Holly Blue which i thought was a Small Blue,untill she opened her wings. I was also pleased to see a few Lulworth Skippers,as i don't always find them here.

A short break to Arne reserve,where we saw raft spiders on a pond,and lots of dragonflies Dorset heath,a king of heather, was in the wet areas,too.

It was now mid-afternoon and the cloud had filled in again,so we opted for a last quick look at Ballard. We found a few more Adonis but under cloud,most were roosing by 4.30,and we were about to head for home. But for once,the weather gods smiled,and in early evening,the sun came out to play. We had a great extra couple of hours,photographing the resulting blues,including some great Adonis Blues,wings open,and a Small Copper.
Attachments
dorset 15 ukb end 001a.JPG
dorset 15 ukb end 002a.JPG
dorset 15 ukb end 003a.JPG
dorset 15 ukb end 004a.JPG
dorset 15 ukb end 005a.JPG
dorset 15 ukb end 006a.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Six lovely images there. The Adonis Blues are stunning, and a bonus Clouded Yellow.
Best of all, the Brown Argus threesome.

TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I agree with Trevor the three some are a winner Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thank you both! It was great how the sun suddenly came out when i thought the day was over. This extended the day by some 2 hours,and a great pleasure was had,watching the butterflies open their wings as we all enjoyed the evening sunshine! :D

Hopefully you will enjoy this next report,Goldie...

LYDDEN DOWNS

On Saturday,before the bank holiday weather set in,we headed off to the excellent Lydden Downs,near Dover. My main target here were Silver-spotted Skippers. Despite it getting late in the season,i'm pleased to report there were still plenty of these lovely skippers on this site,including fresh males,so they should be here for a week of two yet. Great,as i can't get enough of these lovely butterflies!

Looking around,lots of other butterflies were present,and plenty of wild flowers,too. For the blues, Brown Argus,Common Blues,Chalkhill Blues and a few fresh Adonis Blues were enjoyed, and i was pleased to find a Small Tortoiseshell,as these seem to have tailed off this year,though there is still time for a few more to emerge. Lots of Meadow Browns were present, they have long since gone from my local fields,yet here they were still in full swing. A few Small Heaths were seen too.

By early afternoon,the cloud had increased,the first spots of rain were falling and the day was over. But i headed home, delighted i had seen so many butterflies and had such a great time at a great place. :D
Attachments
silver spotted skipper male
silver spotted skipper male
silver spotted female
silver spotted female
silver spotted pair
silver spotted pair
small white
small white
small tort
small tort
adonis blue
adonis blue

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Those Silver-spots are in very fine fettle Essex :D And the trio of Brown Argus is a gorgeous shot :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! essex, I missed the Adonis as well :( Your photos are super and bring back some happy memories of Kent :D I love the two SSS on the Flower Goldie :D

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Thank you both for your comments,it was such a nice morning i had to go back...

EARLY AUTUMN ON THE DOWNS

I returned to the Downs on Wednesday. In the morning,there was some sunshine,but it rather chilly for September. However,there was plenty of butterfly activity,with Meadow Browns quickly found,soon followed by several Adonis Blues. Although many of the Chalkhill Blues were showing their age by September,there were still a few fresh ones around. After seeing several worn Common Blues,i found the nice fresh one in the picture. Autumn ladies tresses were abundant,with a few autumn gentians.

At this Temple Ewell end of the site,Silver-spotted Skippers,though present,were few in number,so we headed accross the top and down the Lydden end. Here,much better numbers of these lovely Skippers were seen. We watch one female as she crawled over a tuft of sheeps fescue, eventually finding the right spot and laying an egg. For a species which seems to be found in Finland,far beyond the Arctic Circle, Silver-spots are surprisingly reliant on warm weather,and today the adults spent long periods of time grounded,trying to warm up. By lunchtime,though,the cloud had returned and with temps of only 15C,the days butterflying was over. Very enjoyable while it lasted,though! :D
Attachments
adonis blue
adonis blue
chalkhill blue
chalkhill blue
autumn lades tresses
autumn lades tresses
common blue
common blue
lydden te sep15 ukb 005a.JPG
lydden te sep15 ukb 006.jpg
lydden te sep15 ukb 007a.JPG
adonis female
adonis female

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

EARLY AUTUMN-COPPERS AND COMMAS!

Autumn is here. Although i see Small Coppers at other times of year,i leave this lovely species until now for a closer look. Numbers generally peak at this time of year,and it gives me something to look foreward to when the dovnland and woodland butterfly season is over. Just twenty minutes drive from home is Bedford's Park,where Essex meets London. From these hills,fine views can be had over the capital,with Canary Wharf,the Dome and the Shard clearly visible.

Coppers can be seen all over the site,but especially where there are clumps of devils-bit scabious. Several of the coppers were the form with the lovely blue spots,to a varying extent. Others were clear,and all were a pleasure to see.

Comma's are also common here,and several were seen when we went yesterday,again,mainly on the scabious blooms. These,of course,are of the dark,overwintering form,and were building their reserves,in readiness for hibernation.

The season is clearly on the wane,and the only other butterflies seen were Large White,Small White,Speckled Wood,Meadow Brown and a Small Heath. Todey,at work,i saw a Holly Blue and a late Peacock.
Attachments
bedfords pk 15 ukb 001a.JPG
bedfords pk 15 ukb 002a.JPG
bedfords pk 15 ukb 003a.JPG
bedfords pk 15 ukb 004a.JPG
bedfords pk 15 ukb 005a.JPG
bedfords pk 15 ukb 006a.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking blue badges on the last Copper Essex :D :mrgreen: The Coppers don't seem to have emerged round here yet, soon hopefully :)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

Lovely caeruleopunctata, and two Commas in such close proximity ain't bad either! :)

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark, I love the photo of the two Commas together on the branch...and that last Small Copper is a beauty with a great set of blue spots :D

Cheers,

Neil

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Lovely shots Mark, still waiting to see them again up North although the weather has been very clement recently still no Coppers Goldie :mrgreen: :D

bugboy

Post by bugboy »

What they all said^^^, excellant imagies showing there's still plenty of live in the season yet :) !

Some addictions are good for the soul!
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

MALAGA

Just back from a short break to the Costa Del Sol-the sunshine coast! After the inevitable hot,dry,sunny summer,and the resulting tired,brown vegetation,i wasn't expecting to see an abundance of butterflies in these parts. And i didn't. But of those i did see,there were a couple of real belters. Below is a quick list of butterflies seen,with a more detailed report of my new 'lifers' to follow.

Swallowtail-abundant on several of the hill tops we visited. This is 'hill topping' mating behavior.
Large White-one seen in Malaga,last day.
Small White-one only. Could have been Southern Small White,no picture.
Clouded Yellow-two on last day,Malaga. One was helice.
Long-tailed Blue-again,common on hill tops. All males.
Wall-several hilltopping.
Grayling-a few tired,faded adults hanging on,hill tops.

And now for the gems...

GERANIUM BRONZE

I was hoping,though not expecting, to find these. Seem to be fairly common near habitation.Found at Benalmadena, Fuengirola and Malaga. Surprisingly,didn't see a geranium while i was there. A male found a female in a bush,landed,and stuck his back end onto hers. No elaborate courtship,the whole process took about 5 seconds! A tiny,but rather pretty little butterfly.
Attachments
geranium bronze pair at Belamadena
geranium bronze pair at Belamadena
geranium bronze,fuengirola
geranium bronze,fuengirola

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

AFRICAN GRASS BLUE

I found one only,a female,on the banks of the dried up river bed in the centre of Malaga. A tiny butterfly,smaller than Small Blue.Caterpillar foodplants include medicks,which grow in the river bed. Didn't know what it was,but having checked in a book,seems to confirm id. If it is not African Grass Blue,feel free to correct me! Again,never seen it before.
Attachments
malaga sep 15 004.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

What a great find! Proof positive that quality is better than quantity!

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

LANGS SHORT TAILED BLUE

Seen only on last day. But where found,it was abundant. There was a colony in a public park/garden,near the Paseo Del Parque,which was spilling out into the surroundings. Similar,but much smaller than the Long Tails on the hill tops, and completely different habitat. Most were males,chasing off everything which flew near,but a few females were seen,too. Probably permanant here,some migrate to central Europe for summer,but either migrate or die away from far south.
Attachments
lang's female
lang's female
lang's short tailed blue (cropped) male
lang's short tailed blue (cropped) male

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

And last but not least...

DESERT ORANGE TIP

At the top of a hill overlooking Malaga,there is a fortress,with splendid views over the city. It was hot by the time we reached the top,only to find a bus and car park there! So we decided an ice cream was in order. While enjoying it,a small white butterfly flew into view,and landed on the other side of the bus turning circle. I sprung into action,expecting a normal white of some sort. As i got near,i noticed orange and black wingtips,and i instantly knew it was something i had never seen. I ran back for the camera,only to hear Esther shout the worst thing at that moment 'there's a bus comming!' I fired off a few shots quick as possible,nearly getting run over in the process by an angry bus driver no doubt wondering why some idiot was standing in the road taking pictures when a bus is coming!

Meanwhile,the butterfly had gone. Did i manage to get a shot? I looked at the pictures through the viewfinder. Blank blank blank yes! Got one shot out of four! With a broad smile,i finished the ice cream,then saw it come back,to feed on a Bougonvillia flower. When i got back to GB that night,first thing i did was check my books. And there it was,my first,and most unexpected,Desert Orange Tip. An African species,whose range just extends into southern ESP. :D :D :D
Attachments
malaga sep 15 006.jpg
malaga sep 15 007a.JPG

Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

VERY nice, Mark - well done!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com

Return to “Personal Diaries”