Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Maximus

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you enjoyed Heyshott. I would recommend that you return in about a week, on a warm, sunny day. Last time I was there I watched 2 high speed chases result in almost instant copulation, and I lost sight of another pair before they got cosy. Numbers are already >50 and they've barely started here. I came down the Escarpment late on Friday, after they had all gone to bed, but still found 13 at roost in the scrub with relative ease (in just two of the pits). Three figure counts are almost guaranteed by mid month. PBF will hopefully show very soon.

BWs, Neil

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Again great photos Mike I particularly like the mating pair Goldie :D

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Hi Neil, we'll be back :D :wink:

Thank you Goldie :D you're very kind :D

A few more pics from Heyshott :D :D :D

P1170385.jpgC.jpg
P1180063.Resize.JPG
P1170380.Resize.JPG
P1170375.jpgC.Resize.JPG
P1180114.Resize.JPG

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Exquisite images from Heyshott, I've yet to see a Duke or a Dingy Skipper this year.
I would be quite content with shots like that. :mrgreen:

All the best ,
TREVOR.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Pin sharp images Mike, and those Dingy Skipper pics in particular are really top notch, well done :wink:

Kind Regards,

Bill :D

"When in doubt - venture out"

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers Trevor, I'm sure that you'll get to see Dukes and Dingy Skippers soon :D

Thanks Bill :D

During a visit to Noar Hill today we think we found some Duke eggs? Our doubts are that there are twenty eight of them :shock: and that they have been laid near the mid-rib of the underside of the Cowslip leaf :?:

P1180360.Resize.JPG
P1180361.Resize.JPG

I also finally managed to find an obliging first brood Holly Blue female, at last :D :shock:

P1180306.Resize.JPG
P1180318.Resize.JPG

To be continued...

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Having recently found some Mike they certainly look like Duke eggs to me, but 28!!! Wow!! I am assuming that these were laid by more than one individual but I am sure others will comment. I note a couple of the eggs seem to be transparent like the first one I found.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Good to see that you found an obliging Female Holly Blue. I found two more yesterday, one posed
nicely, the other was too deep in the brambles for a shot. I wonder if posing low down is for a reason.
It may be to aid warming up. Any thoughts ?.

TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Nice Holly Blues Mike, not seen any since April here Goldie :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I've still yet to a see a Duke this year let alone find eggs :mrgreen: Lovely Holly Blue Mike :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Maximus wrote:Our doubts are that there are twenty eight of them :shock: and that they have been laid near the mid-rib of the underside of the Cowslip leaf :?
And they're also not as spherical as those I've seen and photographed. No idea what they might be though!

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Maximus

Post by Maximus »

We thought they could well be Duke eggs Pauline, we checked on the internet and found a photo showing 48 eggs on one Cowslip leaf on one particular blog! They certainly looked just like ours.

Hi Trevor, glad you found some more Holly Blues. The one I managed to photograph was two feet off the ground in a sheltered pocket, just right for warming up out of the wind.

Thanks Goldie, I hope you've seen some by now :D

Cheers Wurzel, aren't the Dukes out around your way a bit later? Hope you get to see some very soon :D

So there's a possibility that they're not Duke eggs, Pete :( Wonder what they could be then?

...Our visit to Noar this time was primarily to see how well the Dukes were doing. As we walked up the track from the lane we immediately found two Dukes outside busily defending their territory, the first Dukes we've ever encountered outside the reserve. Once inside it was obvious that Duke numbers had built considerably since our last visit - it was a positive Dukefest! We also saw our first Common Blue and Small Heath of the year, and spotted a Painted Lady which flew past at tremendous speed, giving no opportunity for a photo. The Dukes stole the show, though, with several of them settling nicely for the camera :D Far too many photos to post, but here are a few of our favourites...

P1170503.jpgC.Resize.JPG
P1180284.Resize.JPG
P1180329.Resize.JPG
This Duchess appears to be still inflating her wings after climbing the grass stem
This Duchess appears to be still inflating her wings after climbing the grass stem
P1170580.Resize.JPG
Duke nectaring on Wood Spurge
Duke nectaring on Wood Spurge
P1180434.Resize.JPG
P1180279.Resize.JPG
Common Blue
Common Blue
Green-veined White
Green-veined White
Dingy Skipper
Dingy Skipper

Let's hope that after what appears to be a good 2015, the Dukes do equally as well in 2016 :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

After seeing more of your excellent Dukes Mike I certainly am hoping that they are out later over this way :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Lovely stuff Mike! You've captured the essence of spring. Some really lovely Duke photos to feast my eyes on. :D

Best wishes

James

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Cheers Wurzel, and I know that you always get your Dukes :D :wink:

Hi James, yes they are the essence of spring, glad you liked them :D

12th May

As our first visit to Chiddingfold several weeks ago did not reveal any Wood Whites, today we made a return visit. Perhaps we were too early on our first trip, and weather conditions were perhaps not ideal!
This time, however, conditions seemed to be just right, with alternate periods of sun and cloud, although a bit breezy too. Walking through the wood we kept our eyes peeled for the familiar low jinking flight of a Wood White. After about half a mile we spotted one flying along the edge of the ride, but it disappeared into the trees before we could get close. Walking a bit further into the wood we arrived in a sheltered spot which was noticeably warmer and sheltered from the wind. Suddenly we spotted several Wood Whites flying among the Bluebells, and several more perched on a single Bluebell. As we crept closer we were able to observe the amazing head to head displays between individuals, which also at times involved three or four of them. It was a wonderful sight watching these beautiful, gregarious little butterflies during their courtship display, and also get some shots of this behaviour. We saw about fifteen in total during our visit and they looked very fresh.

P1170798.Resize.JPG
P1170800.Resize.JPG
P1170839.Resize.JPG
P1180475.Resize.JPG
P1170888.Resize.JPG
P1180544.Resize.JPG
P1170913.Resize.JPG
P1170875.Resize.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Great images one and all, but I must particularly compliment you on that open winged shot, which is as good as I've seen of this species.

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Mike,
Lovely Wood White images, in one of my favorite locations.
I was told on Wednesday that the Forestry Commision have been busy resurfacing the rides
at the Chiddingfold forest complex. Do you think the new surface could repel the Purple Emperors
from landing on it ?. The rides at Straits Inclosure were resurfaced, last year,with builders rubble
which smelt very musty. As for Botany Bay lets hope that Neils elixir will still work it's magic on
the new surface !.

Great images, once again,
TREVOR.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Terrific WW shots Mike :mrgreen: . Hope you can put our minds at ease about the extent of the work on the tracks as it was just starting when I was last there (which seems ages ago now).

kevling

Post by kevling »

Mike,

I'll add my compliments for the Wood White photos, especially the open wing shot (stunning)

Regards Kev

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I love the Duke shots , brilliant! Goldie :D

Return to “Personal Diaries”