millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: millerd

Post by millerd »

There is indeed, David!

Back home in the south, Saturday 30th August provided warm hazy sunshine, enough to tempt me out for a walk around my local patch. There was no shortage of variety, with once again seven species seen in as many minutes: Red Admiral, Comma, all three Whites, Holly Blue and Speckled Wood. Over the couple of hours I was out, good numbers of all these were seen, plus a Peacock, two Common Blues and several Small Heaths. The Red Admirals and Commas were largely new, as were some of the Whites and Speckled Woods, but both species of Blue were getting rather worn. As well as fermenting blackberries, and a wild buddleia in bloom for the second time, the ivy is now coming into flower and attracting the Red Admirals in particular with its nectar. Despite fluttering around the ivy a great deal, the Holly Blues were more inclined to nectar on what bramble flowers remained.
Comma1 300814.JPG
Comma2 300814.JPG
Comma5 300814.JPG
Comma6 300814.JPG
Common Blue
Common Blue
Holly Blue
Holly Blue
Holly Blue
Holly Blue
Green-veined White
Green-veined White
Large White
Large White
Small White (f)
Small White (f)
Small White (m)
Small White (m)
Small White (m)
Small White (m)
SpW3 300814.JPG
SpW4 300814.JPG
SpW5 300814.JPG
SH1 300814.JPG
RA1 300814.JPG
The variety with the extra white dot (bialbata)
The variety with the extra white dot (bialbata)
RA4 300814.JPG
RA5 300814.JPG

One extra point of interest was when a large and brightly coloured insect fluttered across the path - clearly not a recognisable species of butterfly. I tracked it down to where it had hidden and found it to be a Red Underwing moth: a large and very handsome species rarely seen flying during the day.
Red Underwing
Red Underwing
Dave

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 31st August: With reasonable weather forecast today, I made an effort to see some Brown Hairstreaks without going too far from home. This meant a shortish drive down to Bookham Common, where I was lucky enough to find one last year. I parked in the Hundred Pound Bridge car park at midday and set off down the small path at right angles to the main track. Compared to last year, the bracken has spread enormously along this path, and combined with bindweed and encroaching bramble, the blackthorn in some places is becoming swamped. I started to see a few butterflies: Speckled Woods and a couple of Meadow Browns, followed by two or three Commas.
Comma1 310814.JPG

As I progressed to where the path runs between hedges next to a field, I spotted a fluttering of orange in the next patch of sunlight. Round the kink in the path, there it was - a female Brown Hairstreak. It was a bit worn, lacking tails, but it briefly half-opened its wings before disappearing high into the hedge.
BrH1 310814.JPG
BrH2 310814.JPG
However, within five minutes, I caught sight of another female down on a bramble leaf. This one was in better condition, but wasted no time while the sun was shining, skipping off to some blackthorn low down where she wandered animatedly in and out of the twigs looking to lay. If the sun went in, she stopped dead - completely invisible to casual observation - and then a burst of sunshine would revive her activity. After a few minutes, she re-emerged and basked again, before disappearing on the field side of the blackthorn hedge, where there were many more egg-laying opportunities.
BrH3 310814.JPG
BrH4 310814.JPG
BrH5 310814.JPG
BrH6 310814.JPG
BrH7 310814.JPG
Unexpectedly, I had seen two Hairstreaks, and without really looking! I took a few moments to examine the younger blackthorn shoots nearer the ground, and within a short time, I had found an egg - only a foot above the ground at most. Another good result.
BrH egg1 310814.JPG
BrH egg2 310814.JPG
I walked on a bit to where the hedge next to the field peters out and is replaced by wildflowers, and soon came across a Common Blue or two and a Small Copper.
SC1 310814.JPG
Pleased with a most successful outing, I ambled gently back down the path, encountering nothing more than a few more Speckled Woods and a Small Tortoiseshell.
SpW1 310814.JPG
ST1 310814.JPG
However, just before the car park, there is a small pond near the eponymous Hundred Pound Bridge, very overgrown but currently with some of the rampant vegetation cut down. I saw a Comma down there, briefly jousting with something smaller, so went to investigate. The something else turned out to be a third Brown Hairstreak, which obligingly sat for a few minutes before flying a little way to investigate some low-growing blackthorn. After emerging from here, it flew up into a tall piece of the same shrub (a tree, really) and stayed put.
BrH8 310814.JPG
BrH9 310814.JPG
From here it was less than fifty metres to the car, but astonishingly I saw a fourth Brown Hairstreak before I reached it. One appeared at ground level, fluttering for some distance over the grass and settling briefly on it at one point. Having reached my car before me, it flew vertically up into an oak tree and disappeared.
BrH10 310814.JPG

Four individual butterflies, an egg, and some interesting behaviour - quite a walk! :D (And Brown Hairstreak is my 50th species of 2014 too. :D)

Dave

EDIT: I took some video of Hairstreak No.2 as she meandered through the blackthorn - and upon reviewing this I now realise I caught her in the act of laying the egg pictured above. now I'll just have to work through the process of posting the footage!
D.
Last edited by millerd on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Congrats on the big 50 Dave - I've never reached those heady heights :D :mrgreen: Some great reports recently with cracking shots of a great range of species, those Commas are especially lush :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thank you, Wurzel - I haven't seen a Wall yet, so maybe number 51 is still possible...

31st August continued... After the unexpectedly productive sojourn at Bookham, as I was halfway there anyway, I carried on to Denbies. The main surprise here was the appearance of a van selling tea, coffee and a whole variety of snacky food - that wasn't here last time! So, fortified with a cappuccino and a piece of flapjack I set off down the slope. At this stage of the season, numbers were very much depleted, but Chalkhill Blues were still to be found, though invariably rather worn.
ChB1 310814.JPG
Adonis Blues were less so, and some of the males still caught the eye with that glorious sky-blue.
AB1 310814.JPG
AB2 310814.JPG
AB4 310814.JPG
AB3 310814.JPG
I saw quite a few female Blues overall, but when they are as worn as these were, telling the three species apart I find very tricky. There were also a few Brown Argus and a few Small Heath, quite a number of Meadow Browns with several mating pairs seen, and even one or two Silver-spotted Skippers.
BA1 310814.JPG
MB pair 310814.JPG
SSS1 310814.JPG
I spoke to a couple of chaps who intended to look for Brown Hairstreaks at the top margin of the hillside - I didn't encounter them again so don't know how successful they were.

Dave

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Nice shots from Bookham and Denbies Dave, and a visit to Steyning might give you the 51 :D :wink:

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

I never cease to be amazed at the sight of certain species in decent nick that have long since disappeared in south Wales.

Brown Argus have vanished and Meadow Browns are looking ragged here.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a great Silver Spot portrait Dave :mrgreen: Good luck with number 51 :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks Mike - Steyning may be doable, definitely somewhere towards the south coast. Maybe I should wait for a third brood?

Things are hanging on in places down here, certainly, David - the Meadow Browns at Denbies were pretty fresh, by and large. Are they really one long emergence, not a second brood? Surely even the latest laid eggs from 2013 would have hatched long since and completed their life cycle well before now.

Thanks, Wurzel - nice to still see some Silver Spots some six weeks after the first ones were out. As well as possible Walls, do you think any Lulworths are left down near Swanage? I haven't seen them this year either.

Summer returned properly today, but I couldn't get away from work until four. At this time of year this left a very small window to see anything before the sun dipped low and the butterflies disappeared. I managed about an hour locally, and saw the same as at the weekend, with Whites and Speckled Woods predominating and a few Small Heaths and Common Blues making an appearance.
SpW1 020914.JPG
SpW3 020914.JPG
Only one Comma and one Red Admiral were in evidence. There seem to be a lot of fresh Small Whites at the moment - towards the end of my walk, I was disturbing them from their resting places in the brambles every few metres.
SW1 020914.JPG
SW2 020914.JPG
SW4 020914.JPG
Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

A Green-veined White was nearly on the doorstep when I arrived home this evening at half five.
GVW 030914.JPG
I had seen a fresh-looking Holly Blue earlier in the day around some ivy very close to the office at Bedfont Lakes. Far too nice a day to be at work... :(

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Whites Dave :D The last Lulworth I saw was in mid August and it was pretty shabby looking although it wasn't at Durlston where they seem to last longer :? Your best bet would be to check the 'Daily Diary' on the Durlston website or maybe give them a ring? Good luck with it :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

No sign of any Lulworths left at Durlston by the look of it, Wurzel. :( Never mind - More effort needs to be made next year. :)

Saturday 6th September: The sun started to filter through at lunchtime, so following the advice of Maximus, I thought I'd try for some more Graylings down at Pirbright. On the way down, where the A322 bypasses Lightwater, an unmistakeable Clouded Yellow flew across the road in front of me - good thing there was no traffic around! On arrival, I wandered gently all over the site, and though it was mostly warm bright overcast rather than true sunshine I did indeed find a few Graylings - perhaps half a dozen. They were very difficult to get close to as usual - or rather you could get very close, but you wouldn't actually know it until the butterfly launched itself from under your feet, up and away, jinking behind the gorse clumps and disappearing again. One pale wraith of an insect flew slightly differently, and turned out to be the most decrepit Small Tortoiseshell I've seen in quite a while.
ST 060914.JPG
Shortly afterwards, however, I finally tracked a Grayling to ground as a thicker bit of cloud came over.
GY1 060914.JPG
GY2 060914.JPG
I saw my first one here this year on 13th July, nearly two months ago - I had no idea they had such a long season or I'd have sought them out in September before. After this little bit of success, a bright orange blur whizzed across in front of me and turned into a Small Copper. It seemed quite content to fly, bask and nectar under the overcast skies.
SC1 060914.JPG
SC2 060914.JPG
There were one or two Green-veined Whites around as well.

Returning home, the sun made more of an effort, so I had a look at my local patch too. Speckled Woods continue to emerge all along the riverside path and elsewhere, and I probably saw a good dozen altogether.
SpW1 060914.JPG
A few Small Heaths were still fluttering low over the meadow area, and there were quite a few Small and Green-veined Whites: one of the latter was very yellow underneath, but sadly none was allowing any close approaches. This was unlike the last butterfly I saw, a Red Admiral patrolling one of the usual territories.
RA 060914.JPG
If I stood still in full sun, it repeatedly came and sat on me for a few seconds at a time, even settling briefly on my hand if I stuck my arm out. I must appear very tree-like...

Dave

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

millerd wrote:...No sign of any Lulworths left at Durlston by the look of it...
Dave
Hi Dave,

Just returned from Dorset this afternoon, visited Durlston a couple of times last week and didn't find any Lulworths there this year. The past couple of years they have still been around at this time albeit mostly rather faded.

Just catching up with your diary, great reports and interesting to see how things are doing in your neck of the woods.

Cheers,

Neil.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Dave, that Small Tort is practically an OAB :wink: On behalf of Dorset I apologize for the lack of Lulworths, we will try to do better next year :lol: Also does that Small Copper have traces of blue spots?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks for your comments, chaps! Yes, Wurzel, that Small Copper does have some blue scales, and I saw another like it today. They don't seem to be that unusual, though really significant spots probably are. (Dorset is forgiven, by the way. :D )

Sunday 7th September: the sun came out at midday, as the trailing cloudy edge of a defunct cold front moved very slowly southeast. So slowly in fact that I overtook it again crawling along the M25 down to Bookham. My success with Brown Hairstreaks was not repeated today, though by two o'clock conditions were warm, sunny and absolutely windless. I did however see a few Small Coppers: I think there are three different individuals here, one of them with some small blue spots.
SC1 070914.JPG
SC2 070914.JPG
SC3 070914.JPG
SC4 070914.JPG
SC5 070914.JPG
SC6 070914.JPG
There were also a couple of Speckled Woods, a Green-veined White, a Peacock, a Red Admiral, and a Comma.
SpW2 070914.JPG
SpW1 070914.JPG
GVW 070914.JPG
RA1 070914.JPG
Comma1 070914.JPG
Part Two:
Like last weekend, I carried on down to Denbies, and the sun had managed to get there ahead of me. There were still plenty of fresh-looking Meadow Browns and some fairly new Small Heaths, but everything else seemed to be well on the way to worn out now. The female Blues were especially difficult to identify, but I think one Adonis was recognisable.
AB1 070914.JPG
There were half a dozen or so male Adonis still gleaming brightly as well, and even a couple of male Chalkhills that were just about flying.
AB2 070914.JPG
AB3 070914.JPG
I saw nothing that I would have said was a Common Blue, but there were a few Brown Argus around.
BA1 070914.JPG
I did find one female Silver-spotted Skipper, which was alternately nectaring and looking to lay eggs.
SSS1 070914.JPG
She eventually found a tiny tuft of suitable grass in a rabbit scrape.
SSS2 070914.JPG
Returning to the top of Steers Field for a cup of tea (the refreshment van was there again), I spotted a Painted Lady basking on the brambles. It looked far from new and I suppose could be a recent arrival on the winds from the continent.
PL1 070914.JPG
A bit further on there was also a Comma, sitting on a faded bramble leaf looking very autumnal.
Comma2 070914.JPG
Dave

David M

Post by David M »

That's an impressive collection of species for early September, Dave.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I agree with David that is an impressive selection for September Dave - especially a Silver Spot in such good nick :D Also is it just me or is that Painted Lady a pretty dark example?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

It has been good to see so many species still going strong, and the continuing good weather will no doubt prolong things even further. Looking back, that was quite a dusky Painted Lady, but I've seen so few lately that I had forgotten what they usually look like - and it was a bit worn too.

Wednesday 10th September: only the briefest look locally late in the day after work. Briefer than intended in fact, as my normal walk has suddenly been obstructed by a rather unexpected encampment of folk who were thoroughly suspicious of me breezing along nearby with a camera. I can't see Heathrow Airport being happy with the situation for long (it's their land I believe), so we shall see what happens. Anyway, back to the butterflies. There were half a dozen very fresh Speckled Woods by the River Colne, plus a couple Whites, which interestingly enough were both Large ones.
SpW4 100914.JPG
SpW3 100914.JPG
SpW2 100914.JPG
SpW1 100914.JPG
There was also just one tired old Red Admiral, and that was it. One of the Speckled Woods was darker than usual with reduced spotting, but didn't come close enough or open up enough for a decent photo.
SpW5 100914.JPG
Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Specklies Dave :D I never realized how much variation they seem to show, something I'l have to have a look at next year along with Hedge Browns and Meadow Browns... :roll: :wink:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

They are worth a bit of study, Wurzel. Taken for granted most of the time until there's not much else around. :)

Friday 12th September: I had a chance to pop briefly into Aston Rowant en route to pick up a son from Cherwell Valley. It was warm and mostly overcast, and I didn't see a great deal. However, at the bottom of the slope, there were Brown Argus at regular intervals, easily a dozen in all.
BA4 120914.JPG
BA2 120914.JPG
BA3 120914.JPG
BA1 120914.JPG
There were a few Blues as well, mostly Common Blues, but I think one was a female Adonis by the deep hue of the blue scales and hints of chequering on what remained of the fringes - easier to see in life than on the photos I took.
CB1 120914.JPG
AB1 120914.JPG
I also saw a couple of Small Heath, and that was about it.
SH1 120914.JPG
I would like to have spent a bit more time as the sun was about to come out, but I probably would have just seen more of the same.

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 14th September: Firstly a walk along the Thames Path at Runnymede at lunchtime, and not a lot flying. One Red Admiral tore along the line of the river (downstream) at one point as I walked along concentrating on the blackthorn hedge that lies between the path and the Thames on the Surrey bank. I have yet to see a Brown Hairstreak here, though the hedge looks ideal. Today however I did see a bright orange insect fly up from low down and disappear over the top of the hedge, but I've seen too many false alarms to be certain of its identity. I think a winter egg search is the only sure way of knowing whether they are here. Immediately after this, a Meadow Brown fluttered up from the grass, but that was about all.
MB1 140914.JPG
Returning home, a brief look near to home threw up more and more Speckled Woods, including one (The same? Another?) with the spotting rather obscured.
Spotting obscured somewhat
Spotting obscured somewhat
SpW3 140914.JPG
SpW4 140914.JPG
SpW5 140914.JPG
SpW1 140914.JPG
There were at least four Red Admirals, several Large Whites, and at one point a fresh-looking Holly Blue was disturbed by a Speckled Wood and disappeared into the ivy generously festooning many of the trees. Still worth going out as often as possible while the sunshine lasts (though to be fair, all the above sightings were made in bright rather than sunny conditions). I saw a Speckled Wood yesterday too, very close to home, but all I could do was watch it fly unerringly into the clutches of a large (and by now, no doubt larger) garden spider.
Untimely end
Untimely end
Dave

Return to “Personal Diaries”