millerd

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: millerd

Post by Wurzel »

I love Graylings Dave they are in my top three butterflies and it took a while to spot it but I got there in the end (it helped that I remembered to out my glasses back on :oops: ) :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks Neil and Wurzel for the kind remarks about the Adonis Blue. They are glorious when as fresh as this one was - I don't think I've seen any appreciable difference between broods to be honest. I'll have to go and look at the photo collection now! And I've just realised my Grayling spotting competitions are too easy: the insect is always in the middle! :D

2nd & 3rd August: I stayed local over the weekend, but on both days took in the extended part of my usual walk. If the Heathrow expansion ever happens, all of the current options would wipe out this area completely - a sobering thought. Particularly so, as over the two days I added two more species to the tally of those seen this year here, totalling 24. The only one not seen so far from past observations is the Small Copper, which in 2012 waited until October to put in an appearance!
Saturday started with a few Speckled Woods and a bright male Holly Blue.
HB1 020814.JPG
The Peacocks and Commas of a fortnight ago have almost all disappeared now, but Red Admirals and Small Tortoiseshells turned up regularly in a variety of spots.
ST2 020814.JPG
Out onto the open grassy area north of the A3113 between the M25 and the River Colne, lots of Common Blues were flying, certainly more than at this time last year, and vastly more than in the first brood.
CB1 020814.JPG
CB2 020814.JPG
CB6 020814.JPG
CB10 020814.JPG
One male lacked underside spotting as in the abs commonly seen amongst Chalkhill and Adonis Blues.
CB ab 020814.JPG
I've not seen a Common Blue affected this way before. A few Brown Argus were in amongst them, their darting flight so different from the ground-hugging female Common Blues with which they can be confused.
BA1 020814.JPG
Brown Argus
Brown Argus
Female Common Blue
Female Common Blue
Female Common Blue
Female Common Blue
Gatekeepers were still much in evidence, though almost all females now, and looking very pale.
GK1 020814.JPG
GK2 020814.JPG
There were Meadow Browns widely scattered, and several concentrations of Small Heaths at a number of points along the path. All Skippers, both Small and Essex, have now gone for the year. All three White butterflies were around, with an increased number of Large Whites since my last visit - migrants, perhaps? This thought occurred as a notable migrant did make its presence evident: Clouded Yellows. Just how many was difficult to say, as they moved at speed in the wind, up and down the path at low level with occasional bursts of flight out over the grass and even more infrequent pauses to nectar on Burdock or to drop to the ground when the sun went in. I made around ten separate sightings, but I would guess that no more than three individuals were present. Photos were extremely hard to come by!
CY2 020814.JPG
CY3 020814.JPG
CY4 020814.JPG
I repeated the excursion on Sunday with similar results - certainly one of the Clouded Yellows I saw was the same as one seen on Saturday.
CB1 030814.JPG
CB2 030814.JPG
ST2 030814.JPG
RA1 030814.JPG
RA2 030814.JPG
RA3 030814.JPG
CY1 030814.JPG
CY2 030814.JPG
The bonus today was a Painted Lady high on a distant Buddleia, making that 24th species here this year. No photos, though.

Dave

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

More great shots Dave - those Cloudies are cracking :D I've started seeing Small Coppers again but whether they're late second or final third broods I'm not to sure :?
Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks, Wurzel - it sounds as if Clouded Yellows are turning up all over the place now! If they ever make it to this bit of field, they tend to stay as there are plenty of flowers and larval food plants. And another Small Copper in a moment... :)

Back to work this week, but on a couple of days I was able to leave early enough to pop two minutes down the road to Bedfont Lakes Country Park. On Monday 4th it clouded over for almost the whole time, which sent the butterflies into a sulk, and then on Thursday 7th, it was really quite hot and they were superactive even at 5 o'clock. You can't win. On both trips, the roster of species was actually the same: Common Blues were the most numerous, followed by Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Brown Argus. There were smaller numbers of all the White species, Speckled Woods and Small Heaths and singleton Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral and Small Copper.
MB1 040814.JPG
MB1 070814.JPG
SH1 070814.JPG
CB2 040814.JPG
CB1 040814.JPG
I had hoped Clouded Yellows might be around, because as well as my sightings a few miles west, there have been others nearby at Hounslow Heath. However, if there were any they didn't come and see me. Some of the Brown Argus were pretty fresh, and there were a few females amongst the males. The females' behaviour is very similar to female Common Blues, staying closer to the ground and with none of the energetic forays that characterize the males.
BA1 070814.JPG
The Small Copper was equally aggressive, chasing absolutely anything that infringed its airspace.
SC1 070814.JPG
SC3 070814.JPG
SC4 070814.JPG
I also encountered a male Common Blue sucking minerals from a damp patch of path.
CB1 070814.JPG
It fluttered feebly over the ground in exactly the way the Holly Blues I've seen recently have done - this is what I thought it was initially. It's a shame we so rarely see groups of "puddling" butterflies in the UK - just the odd one like this. the photos are a selection from both days.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Brown Argus shots and that Small Heath is very finely marked Dave :D I hadn't noticed the different behaviour between the sexes of the Blues like that so I'll keep it in mind and look out for it, cheers for that useful obs :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Re: millerdre a lot of Common Blues

Post by millerd »

Thanks again, Wurzel - that was a particularly fine Brown Argus. :D I realise now that I didn't see any today, which is odd...

Saturday 9th August: I thought I'd set off early and pop down to Noar Hill and make the most of the weather before tomorrow's storm rolls in, plus a chance of Brown Hairstreaks and second brood Dukes. Unfortunately I saw neither of these, but there was plenty of other interest across this site packed with flowers. I was there by half nine, but it was quite cool and the butterflies were only just warming up. It was evident that there were a lot of Common Blues, and it was fascinating to look at the wide variety of patterning and blueness on the females. No two were alike - and there were dozens and dozens of them.
CB1 090814.JPG
CB3 090814.JPG
CB4 090814.JPG
CB6 090814.JPG
The males, however, were much of a muchness, except for wear and size.
CB5 090814.JPG
As the day progressed, Meadow Browns appeared, and Small Heaths, plus a few Small Skippers. A walk to the far end where the pits border woodland revealed eight or nine worn Silver-washed Fritillaries of both sexes nectaring on hemp agrimony, thistles and marjoram.
SWF1 090814.JPG
SWF3 090814.JPG
SWF4 090814.JPG
In amongst them were pre-hibernation Brimstones, mostly females, behaving so differently at this time of year to how they are in Spring.
Brimstone1 090814.JPG
Brimstone2 090814.JPG
Brimstone3 090814.JPG
Brimstone4 090814.JPG
Towards midday, numbers of Small Tortoiseshells appeared, choosing scabious as their preferred nectar source. They are far too heavy for the slender stems (unlike Silver-spotted Skippers, which hardly bend them at all), but they still persisted despite a brisk breeze and many other options being available. At one point I thought I might have found a Duke, but it turned out to be a Small Copper chasing the Blues away - but just the one seen.
SC1 090814.JPG
There were also a few Gatekeepers and Speckled Woods, a couple of Red Admirals, a Peacock and a very old summer Comma.
GK1 090814.JPG
RA1 090814.JPG
Finally, I saw two Clouded Yellows, both beautiful new females. I thought at the time that it might be the same one twice, but the photos show two very similar, but non-matching sets of markings. They were nectaring when the sun shone, and diving to the ground when it didn't, with energetic and frequent bursts of flight in between.
CY1 090814.JPG
CY2 090814.JPG
CY3 090814.JPG
CY4 090814.JPG
CY5 090814.JPG
However, neither of my hoped for species were in evidence, though I did see two butterflies tussling around the top of a tall ash tree on the south side which may have been Hairstreaks. There was no way I could confirm what they were, and something lower down was very definitely a Speckled Wood! The cloud had now built up, so I headed for home after nearly five hours, smelling strongly of marjoram...

Dave

millerd

Post by millerd »

Sunday 10th August: After a great deal of rain and strong winds, around 3 the sun came out, with me following smartly behind. I set out around my local patch, not visited since last weekend, to see what was about. It was still very breezy, but the sun had got things moving and Small Whites were soon to appear.
SW1 100814.JPG
I then spotted several Speckled Woods and Red Admirals contesting the same bits of path. One Speckled Wood looked worn, probably rain-affected, with some of the spots looking almost green.
SpW1 100814.JPG
Further along I saw a Comma flying low along the nettle regrowth at the edge of the path, stopping briefly every four or five seconds - egg-laying perhaps. It was a late example of the summer brood - the hibernating ones will no doubt be appearing soon. Considering the storms of the previous 36 hours, it was good to see plenty of Common Blues, fighting strongly against the wind and nectaring whenever they could get a grip on a thistle.
CB1 100814.JPG
CB2 100814.JPG
CB3 100814.JPG
There were a few Meadow Browns, Gatekeepers and Small Heaths, generally looking rather sorry for themselves, but I disturbed a Clouded Yellow from the path which didn't look too bad. It dived to the ground again where I managed to grab a quick photo - confirming that it was neither of the ones I'd seen last weekend. There must be quite a few around. As usual it had plonked itself in amongst a nest of grass stalks, making for a far from perfect photo.
CY1 100814.JPG
A definite autumnal feel about today...

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great reports Dave - that has got to be one of the most worn Specklies I've seen - almost complete but scales gone :D And that is a tantalising Clouded Yellow shot - I bet it left you feeling "if only it had opened slightly more"... 8)

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Yes, Wurzel - it landed with the grass stem between its wings, which caused it to twitch them open and shut a few times before compromising on the pose with just a hint of that wonderful yellow upperside. I've loved the colour of Clouded Yellows since (dare I admit it?) catching a couple as a child in the sixties using a net my mother had concocted from an old net curtain. They were just so yellow! :)

Wednesday 13th August: a foray locally between 5 and 6 this evening was not very productive. There was some sunshine, but at this time of day now it's not so strong, and it was still pretty breezy. I did see several Red Admirals - there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of new ones stepping in as the old ones fade from the scene. One decided that I was a suitable site to survey its territory, and stayed awhile before launching off at another individual that swooped down to investigate.
RA1 130814.JPG
RA2 130814.JPG
There were far fewer Common Blues than a few days ago (they were rather tatty too), no Gatekeepers at all, and only one or two Small Heaths and Meadow Browns.
CB1 130814.JPG
A single Small Tortoiseshell basked on the path before disappearing downwind. I paused occasionally to pick blackberries - really past their best already with the recent rain spoiling them somewhat so that a faint smell of fermentation hung over the bushes. Those pre-hibernation Commas had better appear soon, or they'll miss their favourite treat! Disturbing the brambles caused several roosting Green-veined Whites to appear and then disappear again further on: one paused to nectar briefly.
GVW1 130814.JPG
I'm hoping the recent storminess has subsided and that the wind will drop to accompany some sunshine. It's not particularly cold (22 degrees here today), but the other factors have conspired against good sightings.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

" They were just so yellow! :)" I reckon they should have been called Clouded Mustards :D Lovely Red Admiral BTW :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Friday 15th August: I had just enough time before picking up children to divert off the M40 and dip in and out of Aston Rowant around 5 this afternoon. It was overcast, not too dark though, and about 18 or 19 degrees. My first thought on walking across the slopes was "where have all the flowers gone?". Aside from patches of marjoram and one or two sad-looking scabious, there was next to nothing blooming. Following on from that, I saw very, very few butterflies. There were eight or nine Small Tortoiseshells basking on the paths, and A fair few Meadow Browns scattered in the grass, but other than that: one Red Admiral, a couple of Chalkhill males (one of which was actually quite fresh), a Common Blue, and a single Silver-spotted Skipper whirring off into the distance.
ST1 150814.JPG
ChB1 150814.JPG
ChB2 150814.JPG
The only excitement was when I disturbed a largish bright orange-pink butterfly that flew rapidly up the slope. Puffing off after it, I just managed to identify it as an absolutely beautiful new Painted Lady before it took off again up and over the trees at the top of the hill. Nothing pale pink about this one - it was a really rich salmon shade. I would hope that a bit of proper sunshine might likely reveal a few more butterflies, but comparing notes with late August last year (when hundreds, maybe thousands were flying here, and of perhaps 20 species), it was rather disappointing. The storms have no doubt taken their toll on such an exposed hillside.

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

I think you need to put things into perspective, Dave. Last year was abnormally late, meaning that Aston Rowant was probably still 'buzzing' in mid-August.

I went there on 8th August 2013 and Chalkhill Blues were absolutely at their peak. This year, I visited on 26th July and many of them were visually past their best.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I now how you feel Dave - I'm seeing the 'usual' late summer early autumn selection already - and the Low pressure systems aren't helping :( Looks like 2014 is going out with a whimper :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

You are right of course, David. My visits in August last year were on 23rd and 28th, and the slopes were still a riot of flowers and butterflies (though not many Chalkhills on the latter date). And of course it was really warm and sunny both times. A late season in real contrast to this year's somewhat early one.

Yes, Wurzel - the report below has a distinct autumnal tinge to it...

Saturday 16th August: A contrast in weather with yesterday - largely sunny, though a bit breezy again. My opportunity today was around lunchtime, and only a local walk was possible, but as ever there was something different to see with subtle changes to the same circuit a few days ago. First up was a finding a Common Blue male nectaring less than ten feet from the front door, in amongst half a dozen or so Small and Green-veined Whites.
GVW1 160814.JPG
Not much further on, I reached a wild buddleia, where a Red Admiral and a new pre-hibernation Comma were indulging themselves. When disturbed they both headed instead for the blackberries, which as noted earlier are beginning to ferment nicely.
Comma3 160814.JPG
This in turn disturbed a couple of Speckled Woods and a Holly Blue.
HB1 160814.JPG
Seven species in five minutes - a good start indeed, and more than Aston Rowant could offer the day before. It transpired that the new round of Commas were out everywhere - I counted about seven or eight in various spots, mostly on the abundant blackberries.
Comma1 160814.JPG
Comma2 160814.JPG
Comma4 160814.JPG
Comma5 160814.JPG
They were probably exceeded in numbers along the wooded and brambled riverside path by Speckled Woods with maybe a dozen spotted.
SpW1 160814.JPG
Here too were another four or five Holly Blues, with two seen nectaring together at one point.
HB2 160814.JPG
HB3 160814.JPG
Moving into the large field/meadow area between the river and the M25, I found it had been mown (as last year). As a consequence, the butterflies were all now around the edges, with Meadow Browns, a few Gatekeepers and Small Heaths, and a reasonable showing of Common Blues.
CB3 160814.JPG
These were more than 50% females, and most of these were dark examples, rather than blue ones.
CB1 160814.JPG
CB2 160814.JPG
CB6 160814.JPG
One landed on the bottom of my jeans, and wandered around for a while before walking off onto the nearby vegetation.
CB5 160814.JPG
Returning by largely the same route, I paused to see if a Holly Blue would settle, but I disturbed it and at the same time caused a Red Admiral to flutter up a little unsteadily from the brambles. It was beautifully new, scarcely a mark on the velvet black, but was quite restless as it walked around on the spray of blackberries.
RA2 160814.JPG
RA1 160814.JPG
RA4 160814.JPG
RA3 160814.JPG
A really lovely insect.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I should of held fire for five minutes before posting Dave :roll: :lol: There was a definite autumnal feel indeed but the Red Admiral shots are fantastic, the one sitting on the Brambles is stunning :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely fresh Red Admiral Dave :D

It looks like your season is a fair bit ahead of mine around here, no autumn brood Commas for me yet.

Cheers,

Neil.

millerd

Post by millerd »

Thanks chaps - a lovely Red Admiral indeed.

22nd August: a rare chance today to nip out from work at lunchtime and see what was around in Bedfont Lakes Country Park. I only had time to visit the path parallel to the railway, but at least there was some sun for a change, not a bad sort of day at all. Common Blues were still flying, but getting rather worn now.
CB1 220814.JPG
CB2 220814.JPG
Also very worn was this male Brown Argus. I knew it couldn't be a female Common Blue because I first spotted it chasing a wasp - no female Blue would do such a thing.
BA1 220814.JPG
BA2 220814.JPG
There were quite a few Brown Argus, though mostly much fresher females.
BA3 220814.JPG
BA4 220814.JPG
BA5 220814.JPG
BA6 220814.JPG
Meadow Browns were flopping around in the grass still, and amongst them was just the one Small Heath.
SH1 220814.JPG
SH2 220814.JPG
Aside from a few Small or Green-veined Whites (I think the latter), that was all.

Dave

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely chocolatey Brown Argus's Dave :D I have seen hardly any Small Heath this year Dave - where have they been? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

millerd

Post by millerd »

Back from a week up in Yorkshire, where despite noticeably lower temperatures, there were still things to see.

On Saturday 23rd August, we stopped briefly at Cherwell Valley services - several Small Tortoiseshells were nectaring on the uncut part of the water meadows.
ST1 230814.JPG
Sunday 24th turned out to be pretty sunny, and my sister's garden in Wilberfoss attracted several Peacocks, Small Tortoiseshells, Red Admirals, Whites of all types and a couple of Speckled Woods.
Peacock1 240814.JPG
RA1 240814.JPG
ST1 240814.JPG
SW1 240814.JPG
We also went out to nearby Allerthorpe Common, where a few more Peacocks and Speckled Woods were flying.
SpW1 240814.JPG
SpW2 240814.JPG
SpW3 240814.JPG
On the way back from Allerthorpe to Wilberfoss, we stopped at Calley Heath, a Nature Reserve maintained by the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust (SE 751496). Very quickly, we came across Small Coppers, and must have seen a minimum of half a dozen, all rather worn.
SC1 240814.JPG
SC2 240814.JPG
SCx2 240814.JPG
I then spotted a couple of other brown-looking butterflies that I took at first to be female Common Blues. However, closer scrutiny showed them to be a male and female Brown Argus, and altogether I would guess that there were at least four individuals.
BA1 240814.JPG
BA2 240814.JPG
BA3 240814.JPG
BAx2 240814.JPG
Other butterflies seen were one each of Speckled Wood, Red Admiral and Peacock. The latter butterfly seemed to be investigating the numerous rabbit-holes on the site - I can remember reading that they may use these for hibernation. A knowledgeable fellow on site told me that Brown Argus had not previously been noted here (though Common Blue have). Judging by the time of year, these were likely to be second brood individuals (their wear was similar to those I have seen down south) - although some of the literature says they are generally single-brooded at this, the northern extreme of their range. The late date also rules out NBA (though I believe this would be just too far south for them anyway).

The weather turned wet on Monday, but a bit better on Tuesday and Wednesday: however, nothing much new was seen. One Red Admiral discovered the rotting Victoria plums, and will no doubt be fixture there for a while now.
RA1 260814.JPG
RA2 260814.JPG
RA3 260814.JPG
I watched a male Small White vigorously assault a female before they both flew off together.
SWx2 260814.JPG
I also noted several Large White caterpillars on the nasturtiums, and one Small White totally uncamouflaged on a flower, plus a Large White chrysalis on the edge of a window.
LW cat 260824.JPG
SW cat 240814.JPG
LW pupa 250814.JPG
Dave

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent array of late season images, Dave.

There's still life yet in 2014!!

Return to “Personal Diaries”