Hoggers

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
nomad

Re: Hoggers

Post by nomad »

Nice find and images of a Small Copper aberration.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hoggers wrote:They clearly thrive at Dungeness, David. I will easily count 70+ on a walk at the height of the season, there must be hundreds. I don't know if a formal count is ever made but I wonder if there are any other locations that support such a larger population of Small Coppers.
Hi Hoggers

Just admiring your Small Coppers again. Those aberrations are superb :D :D

' 70+ on a walk' :shock: I was pleased to see just one on my local patch this afternoon, but it did have blue spots :wink:

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

A magnificent selection of Small Coppers Hoggers and your abs are stunning :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I have only seen 4 SC all season :(

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi guys, many thanks for your comments. Finding a radiata was a real thrill
IMG_6380.JPG
I think if I found one of the silvery-white forms it would be too much and I'd drop down dead with shock!

Best wishes,

Hoggers.

William

Post by William »

Hoggers wrote: I think if I found one of the silvery-white forms it would be too much and I'd drop down dead with shock!
One of my local Small Copper colonies sees similar numbers of butterflies, and I found a pale form approaching ab. Culprinus - it could happen :wink: - superb photos of radiata!

BWs,

William

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That is a cracking aberrant find Hoggers :mrgreen: :mrgreen: - mind you with so many Small Coppers there it was bound to turn up sooner rather than later - I reckon a schmidti won't be far behind :wink: Finger crossed for you...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Great SC's Hoggers :D

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Last sunday at Dungeness I saw only one Small Heath but today they seemed to be everywhere
IMG_6470.JPG
I also noticed that there's been an increase in the number of Brown Argus
IMG_6475.JPG
All of which were having to do battle with the resident Tough Guys
IMG_6485.JPG
IMG_6434.JPG
IMG_6451.JPG
IMG_6453.JPG
IMG_6465.JPG
IMG_6477.JPG
I saw more than thirty
IMG_6439.JPG
IMG_6487.JPG
IMG_6528.JPG
Ever ready for a brawl
IMG_6505.JPG
IMG_6536.JPG
However this one, which I believe is a female, was behaving in a far more decorous manner
IMG_6517.JPG
I saw a Hummingbird Hawk Moth at rest
IMG_6510.JPG
and at play
IMG_6483.JPG
Two Painted Ladies
IMG_6423.JPG
IMG_6550.JPG
And two Red Admirals with good numbers of Common Blues.

A Clouded Yellow flew by
IMG_6554.JPG
While I stood talking to the Observatory Warden ( who told me he's seen two schmidtis in the past!! Grrr!!) a pair of Ravens went "Kronk Kronking" overhead and then a birdwatcher flew in with news of a Red Backed Shrike which set feathers flying.

Letting them flap away to see the Shrike I sat down by a clump of Ragwort and watched the Small Coppers
IMG_6525.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Hoggers, just catching up with you diary, loving all the Small Coppers and congratulations on the radiata. I saw one of these at Aston Rowant a couple of years back but your photos are much better than I managed.

Well done,

Neil.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks Neil but I think you're being too modest as I've been ogling your radiata in the species specific section for many months ( and that knock- out blue badger too! )

If I take a nice photo it's down to the camera, all I know about photography is how to press the button!

I'm trying to pack my diary with little, feisty, bright Small Coppers to cheer me up through the Winter!

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I got to Dungeness around 10 this morning. Although it was comfortably warm there wasn't much sun about.

First up I saw a couple of Painted Ladies and then as I walked further a Red Admiral, a Small Tortoiseshell and Large and Small Whites, Small Heaths and Common Blues.

But it wasn't long before I found my first Small Copper
IMG_6597.JPG
Sitting quietly waiting for the sun
IMG_6596.JPG
Eventually a shift in the cloud let though some sunshine and the Small Coppers came out to play
IMG_6622.JPG
IMG_6613.JPG
IMG_6629.JPG
IMG_6633.JPG
IMG_6637.JPG
IMG_6649.JPG
For a change, today I ventured out into "The Desert" which isn't quiet as forbidding as it sounds but it's rough pebble terrain with brambles and gorse. There I came across Small Coppers
IMG_6619.JPG
IMG_6656.JPG
Although far more widely spread
IMG_6663.JPG
My total for today was 37
IMG_6670.JPG

kevling

Post by kevling »

Hoggers,

Great shots of the Small Coppers. Some recent posts suggest numbers are down this year, it looks as though they have all set up camp at Dungeness. I have just returned from Yorkshire, where they were one of the most numerous species I saw. Let's hope they are still holding up, as they are a stunning butterfly.

Regards Kev

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Cheers Kev, I think you're right: Neil had success with them in Cornwall, you in Yorkshire and me at Dungeness, while most other contributors to UK Butterflies have commented on the low numbers they've seen this year.

It's a situation that's worth us keeping our eyes on next year.

All the best,

Hoggers

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi Hoggers,
Just thought I,d let you know how I got on at Dungeness today ,well it was pretty windy! plenty of sun ,and in the more sheltered areas plenty of Small Coppers
I suppose I saw 30+ .I found that the "Hotspot" today seemed to be around the moat ,feeding on the plentiful ragwort, also good numbers of Brown Argus, Small Heath
Common Blue, and even two Meadow brown, as you know I fluked a "Radiata" (second Copper seen on leaving the car) ,and somehow the luck has stayed with me, on looking through the Coppers by the moat ,one caught my eye,I managed to follow it and see it settle,i couldn,t believe it! the two forewings are standard Copper ,but the full left hand hindwing is "Schmidtii" with the right hindwing normal,i managed one slightly blurred shot ,and spent the next hour trying to re find it ,no joy ,soon as I can figure out how to get pictures up ,I,ll post this odd one ,and the "Radiata". " Best wishes to all Allan.W.

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Allan, good to hear from you again (I hope you received my reply to you message last week?)

I returned to Dungeness today. It was sunny, warm but very blowy. I couldn't find either the radiata or your "Quarter Schmidtii"( !!) but I did chance upon something rather curious
IMG_6757.JPG
IMG_6751.JPG
IMG_6741.JPG
What do you make of this one?
IMG_6762.JPG
IMG_6772.JPG
IMG_6782.JPG
Left side with wings closed
IMG_6720.JPG
Right side with wings closed
IMG_6724.JPG
From the shape of the abdomen I'd guess it was a female?
IMG_6866.JPG
IMG_6867.JPG
But except for the washed-out colouring of the front right wing it has the vivid strong copper colouring of a male.

That pale forewing looked very white at certain angles and during flight
IMG_6884.JPG
IMG_6890.JPG
IMG_6891.JPG
It settled on a pebble for awhile and you can see the contrast
IMG_6903.JPG
Another Small Copper Curiosity!

Plenty of other Small Coppers about, many battered but some still in good nick
IMG_6851.JPG
IMG_6863.JPG
And a nice member of the SCBBC
IMG_6920.JPG
IMG_6921.JPG
IMG_6924.JPG
I also saw several amorous scenes
IMG_6842.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
Female running along in front fluttering her wings and the male quickly toddling after her.

Promise for the future!

dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hello Hoggers,
Passed you today looking intently downwards along the Power Station boundary fence. We must have checked the same areas as we also failed to find radiata Nice to see good numbers of Small Copper and Small Heath still at Dungeness. A Clouded Yellow was near the Old Lighthouse where you parked.

Dave

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Hoggers, Love your Small Copper photo's, so many SC as well, :mrgreen: they've finished round here now , your Pic's are great Goldie . :D

Allan.W.

Post by Allan.W. »

Hi,Hoggers,
I did get your reply,thanks I,m still getting to grips with the do,s and don,ts of the forum,where to post what and how to go about it ,but with help from Vince Massimo,I managed to put a couple of Radiata shots and the other oddity that I found yesterday, they are on the September sightings page.Well done with the oddity you found today,very unusual! As a matter of interest were you anywhere near the moat,I found it the hotspot yesterday ,was thinking about going back today,but the wind and cloud put me off,well done again for todays beauty!
Regards Allan W

Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Hi Dave, sorry to have missed you (and the Clouded Yellow!) Next time toot your hooter at me! I think I was trying to follow a pair of Small Coppers involved in a high speed chase.

Thanks Goldie - I'm trying to stock up on Small Copper photos to help get me through the winter!

Cheers Allan, yes I found good numbers in the Observatory moat ( I walk the full circuit ) and today's oddity was there ( I found my radiata there too, a couple of weeks ago).

The moat is great in Spring when all the Blackthorn is in flower and there are Small Coppers everywhere, but there are plenty out in the Desert too.

Best Wishes,

Hoggers.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Fantastic Coppers again Hoggers :D Others have commented on the lower numbers of this species this year but I reckon it's because you're not playing fair and sharing them :wink: :lol: Interesting variation in the pale winged Copper - could that be pathological rather than genetic? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”