Gary.N

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Gary.N

Re: Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

I left early for my transect on Sunday morning, as the good weather was not meant to last long. I started up on the Gallop's about 8am and found my first Dark Green of the year by 8:30. The Large Skippers were still going strong up there. On my transect at Lullington Heath I saw 2 more Dark Greens and my first Ringlet of the season, but no Marbled Whites yet.
DG2.png
Large Skipper 20062016.png
Large Skipper CloseUp.png
DG1.png
Ringlet.png

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

I will start with a quick catch up with my trip to Midhurst to see the Silver Studded Blues at Iping Common. It was like every other trip I have taken there in the past. Sunny when I leave home but cloudy with an odd break in the cloud when I get there.
But I still found them sitting around in places.
IH9A0849-Edit.png
IH9A0705-Edit.png
Today I went to try and find some White Letter Hairstreaks, but I didn't find any in the spots I know. But on my way home I stopped off at Abbot's Wood and I found a nice Silver-Washed Ab.
IH9A3050-Edit.png
IH9A3105-Edit.png

Diary entries for 2016 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

I had a really nice surprise yesterday when on my last transect for the year a second brood White Admiral landed right next to me. :D :D :D
White Admiral.png

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Brilliant find Gary! I've never seen a second brood White Admiral myself, glad to see you got a good shot of it, they can be tricky at the best of times.

Best Wishes

James

badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Almost unheard of in Sussex??

Brilliant find Gary.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lovely Greenish Silver-Washed Gary - and a second brood White Admiral too :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

I had my first proper walk of the year at Abbot’s today. It was very enjoyable to get out with the camera on a good sunny. A bit misty at times, but a good amount of strong sunshine. I saw a good amount of Peacock’s and Comma’s and 1 Brimstone.
IH9A6746-Edit.png
IH9A6757-Edit.png
IH9A6766-Edit.png
Then just before we went home we found a 4th instar Pearl Larvae. :D
IH9A6782-Edit.png
IH9A6842-Edit.png

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
William

Post by William »

Superb pictures of the hibernators, Gary - very jealous of the Pearl larva!

BWs,

William

Diary entries for 2017 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

Great news with the Pearl Cats. and well found.
I hope they are at least as plentiful as last year, I expect I'll see you at Abbots Wood sometime.
Nearly went there today, but chose the Cuckoo trail instead.

All the best,
Trevor.
Last edited by trevor on Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

I never knew that Pearl cats looked like Everton mints :shock: :D Great find that find that Gary :D :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

That's a great find, Gary. You must have good eyes and primed instincts to be able to hunt those rare critters down.

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Thankyou for all your compliments. I been part of the pearl's breeding program for about 3 years now. You get to know roughly were to look for them and it is not always by the Violet's.

Saturday 1st April:
Today I meet with the rest of main Fritillaries for the Future captive-breeding team of Mike Mullis and Theresa Lux. And we were also had the pleasure of Neil Nulme our leader joining us at Abbot's Wood, to discuss plans for this spring. Four pearls caterpilliars were found within 15 minutes.
PBF2.jpg
PBF.jpg
Sunday 2nd April:
Today I had a good start. I had been looking for Orange-tips all week and the one I did find with James on Monday we both failed the photograph. But today I was putting the washing out just before I going to do my transect and one landed in the garden next to me. My camera was a couple of metres away by my bag. So a grab my camera and hoped the bugger didn't flying. I got a few shot off before it disappeared over the fence. So all that walking and I could of just sat in the garden with a cold beer. :mrgreen:
Orange-tip.jpg
Well the Orange-Tip was the first bit of luck I had today. The second was 10 yards in from the start of my transect. A Green Hairstreak sitting on the Gorse. :) Even thou it just sat there, I couldn't get the right angle to get a good picture. I move it twice and some how it always found the wrong angle to photograph. The thing that suprise me most is how early it is. In a week or two maybe. But it is not just that. It is also before places like Mill Hill in Shoreham which are about two to three week before other sites in sussex. Not a cold hill top on Lullington Heath. :?
Green1.jpg
Green2.jpg

David M

Post by David M »

Wow! I was expecting the first Green Hairstreaks within the next week or so but it's still quite a shock to see one on 2nd April!! :)

Great find, Gary.

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

David, the heath is normally two week behind most places in South of England. It was a shock to see one today, but a nice suprise.

David M

Post by David M »

I'll bet, Gary. I may have a look for them in south Wales next weekend if the weather stays fair. This was very much a May species last year but all it takes is a few days of sustained sunshine and warmth to trigger an early emergence.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great find Gary :mrgreen: There were recorded in Wiltshire today as well so I get your surprise at the location - we're normally 1-2 weeks behind the South East :shock: Hopefully the weather will hold and the numbers will build :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

I'd like your luck with the Orange Tip and that Green Hairstreak.
Here's to Abbots Wood in the coming weeks.

Trevor.

Gary.N

Post by Gary.N »

Finally found some time to update my diary.

I will start with Sunday 16th April.
What was forecast as a cloudy day turned into a beautiful Sunday morning as I grabbed my camera and went to the Gallop's. There I was surprised to see over 7 Green Hairstreak's more than I have previously seen there. There where also Small Coppers, Grizzled Skipper, an Orange-Tip and Green-veined White.
GH1.png
Copper1.png
Copper2.png
GH3.png
IH9A7946-Edit.png
IH9A8045-Edit.png
Saturday May 22nd
Saturday I went looking for Pearls and I met Trevor on my travels. It always good to see a fellow Butter-flier. The trouble was just after I got there the sun disappeared and put an end to play. But a few hours later the sun returned in the late afternoon for about an hour and play resumed.
PBF1.png
PBF3.png
PBF4.png
Sunday May 23rd
It was an overcast day for the most part, with a few breaks in the cloud. So I stayed in the garden taking pictures of an Orange-Tip eggs.
OG Egg1.png
OG Egg2.png

Butterflysaurus rex

Post by Butterflysaurus rex »

Great stuff Gary, I particularly like your Orange Tip eggs, and those Green Hairstreaks are mighty fine too. :D Glad to see you caught up with some Pearls.

Best wishes,

James

trevor

Post by trevor »

Great to see you on Saturday, pity about the cloud, but it did allow us that
wonderful photo op. of a Pearl in a tree. I found another like that yesterday.

Don't forget my Violet offer,
Trevor.

Return to “Personal Diaries”