Trevor

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
kevling

Re: Trevor

Post by kevling »

Trevor,

Enjoyed your photo of the Swallowtail. It must have been an exciting moment. Also liked the Red Admiral in Beckley Wood.
As for Wood Whites, this is a species that I have never seen in the UK. This is also true of the Purple Emperor. Are these two species
ever on the wing at the same time at Botany Bay or is there an agonising gap between the two?

Regards Kev

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
kevling

Post by kevling »

Thanks for reply on Botany Bay. Two visits it is then.

Kev

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All,

Here are some images of the Heath Fritillary at East Blean woods near Canterbury .It is an ideal Butterfly for
those who like the easy life,no long hikes or hours of searching,just drive into the car park [and if you're feeling
really lazy] wind down the window and start shooting!.
At least on the day we went they were fluttering around the car,and were there in some numbers.

all the best,
TREVOR
Attachments
RSCN8166.JPG
RSCN8164.JPG
RSCN8163.JPG
RSCN8160.JPG
RSCN8161.JPG
RSCN8162.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking stuff Trevor :mrgreen: They're on my hit list for next year for definite, mind you I've been saying that for the last 3 years :shock: :roll:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Hi! Trevor, when did you go to East Blean Woods? I went there in July about the 12th or 13th and saw only a couple of Heath Frits and the People there said they'ed been few and far between this year, I'm so pleased to hear you saw loads of them but curious to know just when, usually like you say the car parks full of them, at least I got some shots Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All
Spring flowers before Christmas! two scenes from my garden today.

TREVOR.
Attachments
DSCN8185.JPG
GALANTHUS 'COLOSUS'
GALANTHUS 'COLOSUS'

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas,

What will 2015 bring?. One thing that can never be predicted, is how the new season will pan out. For some of us
the hope of finding a new species will be high on the list, but will the weather behave when that species is on
the wing ?. Will that elusive species appear at the right moment before our camera for that longed for shot of a
lifetime.
For me a Purple Hairstreak is near the top of the list. The large Oak (pictured here) at the bottom of my garden
is usually host to a large colony of this frustrating species, I have yet to find one at a low level.
Whatever your quest,may 2015 be the year it happens!! :D

Best wishes
TREVOR
Attachments
DSCN8188.JPG

PhilBJohnson

Post by PhilBJohnson »

.It is an ideal Butterfly for
those who like the easy life,no long hikes or hours of searching,just drive into the car park [and if you're feeling
really lazy] wind down the window and start shooting!.
Hi Trevor,
"the mind boggles. I have never shot a butterfly and am always try to be very careful when talking about catching one orpinning one
(although I did catch one once on a dandelion before shooting with a camera).
Anymore jokes with double meanings? :lol: or maybe just a "like button" :)
Best wishes,
Philip

Kind Regards,
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All,

On June 4th 2013 we visited the Isle of Wight for the Glanville Fritillary. after a very early start (6.30am ferry)
we arrived at Bonchurch at 8am to a leaden sky, a stiff breeze and a choppy sea. But despite these conditions
Doug spotted a Glanville almost immediately. But luck was on our side as the cloud cleared leaving a clear blue
sky and very strong harsh sunshine, which meant casting a shadow over our quarry could hardly be avoided.
But on the plus side every butterfly we saw was in pristine condition :D , and there were plenty of them.
Some of my shots are a little on the dark side,so strong was the glare of the sun i had to set the exposure
right down.

TREVOR
Attachments
RSCN3308.JPG
RSCN3309.JPG
RSCN3307.JPG
RSCN3306.JPG
RSCN3305.JPG
RSCN3304.JPG
RSCN3303.JPG

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI Once again,

To me January 15th will herald the peak of mid Winter,then it is all down hill to the spring!! :D.
So,for the last of my retrospective images I thought I would post some Butterflies that, will hopefully,
greet us in the first half of 2015.

This year I should have a new camera, and hopefully Wurzel and myself will post images promptly :lol:

See you in the spring,
TREVOR
Attachments
FEMALE ADONIS BLUE,HIGH AND OVER.
FEMALE ADONIS BLUE,HIGH AND OVER.
ADONIS BLUE,HIGH AND OVER
ADONIS BLUE,HIGH AND OVER
BROWN ARGUS,HIGH AND OVER
BROWN ARGUS,HIGH AND OVER
SMALL BLUE,KITHURST HILL
SMALL BLUE,KITHURST HILL
GRIZZLED SKIPPER, KITHURST MEADOW
GRIZZLED SKIPPER, KITHURST MEADOW
DUKE OF BURGUNDY,KITHURST MEADOW
DUKE OF BURGUNDY,KITHURST MEADOW
A TURQUOISE GREEN HAIRSTREAK,ABBOT'S WOOD
A TURQUOISE GREEN HAIRSTREAK,ABBOT'S WOOD
PEARL BORDERED FRITILLARY, ABBOT'S WOOD
PEARL BORDERED FRITILLARY, ABBOT'S WOOD

Diary entries for 2015 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
bugboy

Post by bugboy »

Great pics there Trever, I particularly like the Brown Argus. Never seen one with red spots that extensive, that must have stood out even in flight!

Some addictions are good for the soul!
trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All,

Just a thought, my faithful old Nikon Coolpix camera is doing all sorts of weird things, and is now untrustworthy.
So I would like the advise of UKB'ers,who no doubt own camera's worth anything from £30 to £3,000, what may
be recommended for the £100 to £200 I have to spend. Bearing in mind the need to get close up to the subject.
Hope you can help.
TREVOR.

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your photo's Trevor, my old camera is a Coolpix and also started to go funny on me, but it still takes long distance shots ok,.

I bought a Cannon EOS 1100D for £299 I thought and was told because it was my first SLR it would be easier for me to get use to this type of camera, I've really enjoyed using it this year but these camera's can do so many different things that your learning all the time. Hope you choose a camera that fits your needs people on this web site will certainly help you Goldie :D

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All,

Just a quickie

Have you ever noticed the ' Ducks Head ' image on the underside of the Pearl Bordered Fritillary.
When I showed this to my little Grandson a few years back he has refered to them as Ducks Head
Butterflies ever since. :lol:

TREVOR
Attachments
RSCN3319.JPG
RSCN3319.JPG (90.27 KiB) Viewed 43385 times

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Quacking picture, Trevor!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Post by David M »

Can't say I'd noticed prior to your revelation, but the evidence is irrefutable!! :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots from Kithurst and Abbots Wood Trevor and I can see the Duck's head although I can't work our what species it would be :wink: :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

trevor

Post by trevor »

HI All,

What do you make if this one?. Pearl Bordered Fritillary again but upper side this time,
I can see a pair of staring eyes, which look distinctly Feline.

All the best,

TREVOR
Attachments
RSCN3320.JPG
RSCN3320.JPG (83.02 KiB) Viewed 43348 times

John W

Post by John W »

trevor wrote: Just a thought, my faithful old Nikon Coolpix camera is doing all sorts of weird things, and is now untrustworthy.
So I would like the advise of UKB'ers,who no doubt own camera's worth anything from £30 to £3,000, what may
be recommended for the £100 to £200 I have to spend. Bearing in mind the need to get close up to the subject.
Hi Trevor,

You can pick up a secondhand Lumix FZ38 on eBay for between £50 and £100, and the close-up lens will cost you about another £50. Then you will be able to take pictures as good as Neil's! (well potentially… :lol: )

Cheers
John

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

That's one I have noticed before Trevor, and it's even more apparent on Marsh Frits! :D
As to cameras - a lot of people on UKB swear by the Lumix FZ range, although I don't have one.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Return to “Personal Diaries”