Marseilles checklist 2014

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
David M

Re: Marseilles checklist 2014

Post by David M »

That olive grove looks positively intoxicating, Chris.

You seem to have a real treasure trove on your doorstep.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

You're right David, I'm spoilt for choice, I alternate my lunchtimes at work in the scrub and in the olive grove. If it has rained, I avoid the olive grove.

Sunday 13 April 2014
No new species this weekend, although I think I saw a Small Blue (I will not tick it off my checklist yet).
Nonetheless I must share these photos.
This is not a male Orange Tip - it is a female Moroccan (Provence) O.T. (euphenoides):
euphenoides7_13 female P Bruyères 13 Apr 2014 (9).JPG
Moroccan O.T.s courting:
euphenoides7_13 female P Bruyères 13 Apr 2014 (6).JPG
Plus a Broad bordered Bee Hawk Moth:
Sphinx gazé4_13 P Bruyères 13 Apr 2014 (8).JPG
Cheers, Chris
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Chris, I like the GLANVILLE and I see you are getting into moths,great shot of the BEE HAWK MOTH. :)

Cheers Russ
David M

Post by David M »

You really are spoiled, Chris.

How have you managed to carve such a niche for yourself?
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I love that Moroccan Orange Tip. It is a butterfly that I would love to see, but I am never there at the right time of year!
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Nick,
Yes, euphenoides' domain is restricted and its flight period is short (only 1 brood in France). You really have to be in the right place at the right time. I was over the moon when I managed to get a male and a female photo, top and underside!.
Chris

Hi Russ,
There's a photo coming up below that's for you - a souvenir of your Spain trip! I always said that I was about 2 weeks behind schedule compared with Spain.
Chris

Hi David,
Its a long story about how I ended up down here - 28 years ago in my mid twenties I decided to quit Leicester and my dull office job in a dull town. All I wanted to do was further my French and teach windsurfing (and be in the sun), so I applied to an ad from France for an English-speaking windsurfing instructor. I had no ties and was ready for 'total immersion'. I suppose I landed on my feet and now I'm back in an office job but in France, with a French wife, 2 kids and our own place... That's destiny for you. I do miss fish and chips though, etc. etc.!

Cheers, Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Monday April 14th

SPECIES No. 28: Spanish Festoon (rumina)
Lunchtime at work again, blue skies and in the low twenties. This species is a first-ever for me. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to see one of these. Unfortunately it loves to perch in prickly rocky places so I did suffer a bit to get these photos.
rumina2_13 Vitrolles garrigue 14 Apr 2014.JPG
rumina1_13 Vitrolles garrigue 14 Apr 2014 (2).JPG
Context (prickly bushes):
context.JPG
Cheers, Chris
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely Moroccan Orange Tip shots, Chris. I will call them that until I see one in France as I saw my first in Morocco last year :D

Great capture of the Broad bordered Bee Hawk Moth too.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Hello Chris and others,

I had hoped to see a Spanish Festoon or two this morning, but failed miserably. I have a couple of spots where I have seen them the last three years, but last year there were very few of them (because of the bad weather?), and I wasn't very optimistic for this year. But there is still plenty of time I suppose.

I did however see my first Moroccan/Provence Orange Tip of the year (#25), which was dashing furiously around, but I managed a long distance shot:
IMG_1801.JPG

I also saw what I suppose is a Clouded Yellow f. helice (I will surely get corrected if it isn't), which allowed me to get very close:
IMG_1796.JPG
--
Colin
David M

Post by David M »

cjackson wrote: Its a long story about how I ended up down here - 28 years ago in my mid twenties I decided to quit Leicester and my dull office job in a dull town. All I wanted to do was further my French and teach windsurfing (and be in the sun), so I applied to an ad from France for an English-speaking windsurfing instructor. I had no ties and was ready for 'total immersion'. I suppose I landed on my feet and now I'm back in an office job but in France, with a French wife, 2 kids and our own place... That's destiny for you. I do miss fish and chips though, etc. etc.!
Well done you!

I guess you're more French than English these days. You're also in a pretty decent area for wildlife by the looks of things.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Thanks Lee,
Bee hawk moths are more docile than Humming bird hawk moths, which makes photos a lot easier.

David,
Its a one-way journey; once you're here you can't afford to go back, house prices, .... wages ....
However, I love the Mediterranean flora and fauna. Garrigue (scrubland) rhyms with wasteland but it is far from that - there are loads of plants and insects to admire.

Colin,
If you're used to seeing rumina most years, I'm sure they'll be along shortly. This is the first time I've seen one around my way in 3 years so perhaps its a bumper year!! Well done for the Moroccan OT; I think that they tend to calm down 2 weeks after their initial appearance - better for photos!! I think your Clouded Yellow is more than helice, but I'm notoriously bad for my opinions. If no expert turns up, I'd post it in "Identification" to get a better reaction.
EDITO : After looking in T&L, it does look like helice!!
Chris
David M

Post by David M »

cjackson wrote: Its a one-way journey; once you're here you can't afford to go back, house prices, .... wages ....
However, I love the Mediterranean flora and fauna. Garrigue (scrubland) rhyms with wasteland but it is far from that - there are loads of plants and insects to admire.
Quite.

I guess once you're established a permanent return soon becomes unthinkable.

I mean, why would anyone swap a guaranteed 5 month long hot summer for the climatic vagaries we experience even in the warmer parts of the UK?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Some lovely butterflies being posted in this thread.

Colin's Colias looks to me like a male Berger's. By general shape and appearance it is Berger's and it does seem the dark margin on the upperside ducks outside the black spots without enclosing a pale spot. Colour is notoriously difficult to judge in photos but the constancy of the yellow underside and the apparently yellow upperside count against helice.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
CFB

Post by CFB »

Padfield wrote:Colin's Colias looks to me like a male Berger's.
Hello Guy,

Thanks for the ID.
--
Colin
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Wednesday April 16th - 18°C, blue skies, cool wind from South

SPECIES No. 29: Western Marbled White (occitanica)
SPECIES No. 30: Red-underwing Skipper (sertorius)
First sightings this year. A lunchtime walk in the scrub at work came up with both these, although the breeze didn't help for photos. The occitanica seemed excitable, possibly its first day. My records show it being 2 weeks in advance compared with last year - this species should be around until the 3rd week of June.
occitanica:
occitanica10_13 Vitrolles garrigue 16 Apr 2014 (1).JPG
sertorius:
sertorius6_13 Vitrolles garrigue 16 Apr 2014 (1).JPG
context for occitanica (I think the wavy grass is one of its host plants):
context occitanica.JPG
Cheers, Chris
Last edited by Chris Jackson on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Chris, Well done with the Spanish Festoon, I bet you were really pleased with that one. I also found it in an area covered in small thorny shrubs about 18 inches high, that was probably why the 1st one I saw had a piece of wing missing?
I like the W.Marbled White and the Red-underwing too, I have never seen either of those :(

Cheers Russ.
David M

Post by David M »

Well done with your occitanica, Chris.

You truly ARE blessed.
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi Russ, when I saw my first Spanish Festoon I thought of you in Spain straight away - but now I have "joined the club"!!. I was lucky to get a good couple of photos on my first sighting - despite the prickles!!
The W. Marbled White is starting only now, but it should have been starting 2 weeks later.

Hi David, I was expecting occitanica in 2 weeks time. I will now note precisely its last week of flight this year (normally 3rd week of June) to see whether the lead or lag is consistent.
David M wrote:Well done with your occitanica, Chris.

You truly ARE blessed.
I do realise how lucky I am here in my little 'paradise' when I see how courageous and unwavering all you UKBFers are in following up your passion in the conditions that exist in the British Isles. I dont know whether I could muster up the same energy to follow this passion through if I were back in the UK. It is very humbling for me when you report your sightings in the UK with enthusiasm and when I see the images you all post back home.
Good hunting.

Chris
Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Friday April 18th
Lunchtime at work today it was overcast in Vitrolles though I managed to get a top shot of a Western Marbled White to go with the undershot higher up from Wednesday.
occitanica:
occitanica12_13 Vitrolles garrigue 18 Apr 2014.JPG
No doubt because of the lack of sun, this female Baton Blue allowed me a topshot and underside shot with less running around than usual:
baton5_13 female Vitrolles garrigue 18 Apr 2014 (5).JPG
baton5_13 female Vitrolles garrigue 18 Apr 2014 (3).JPG
Here are 2 context photos of the scrub today with a Tassel Hyacinth and Cistus salvifolius in flower:
Muscari à toupet3_13 Vitrolles garrigue 18 Apr 2014.JPG
plant (1).JPG

Have a good weekend everyone
Cheers, Chris
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Hi Chris, great shot of the Baton Blue, and like you said they are very similar to the Panoptes Blue.

Have a good Easter.

Cheers Russ

Return to “Overseas”