Philippines Blog

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Tony Moore

Re: Philippines Blog

Post by Tony Moore »

Some pix from earlier here:

This has just been identified as Parnara kawazoei, quite a common 'skip' in Luzon:
DSC00287.JPG
There are many Ypthimas, which I thought were all the same. I posted one pic on the Singapore site, and it turned out to be Ypthima stellera:
DSC00608.JPG
which I gather is comparatively unusual.

Below is the more usual type that I see. I'll try and get a positive ID and post.
DSC09989.JPG
ps: Apparently, the last pic is also stellera, but a male. This is the dominant species on Luzon, so not really special at all :( . T.

Tony M.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Very poor internet connection atm. Hope to resume normal service on 3rd Jan. Happy New Year everyone..

Tony Moore.

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Christmas on Mactan Is., Cebu. The dearth of butterflies was explained by a friendly gardener: "Sir, they are always bugging - no paro-paro (butterflies) here - every day, bugging". The resort had a draconian spraying regime, lest any guest be offended by the sight of a mosquito, with the result that the place was an entomological wasteland. I did manage to find one new species on the last day:
DSC00697 copy.JPG
Brown Awl Badamia exclamationis.

Two or three were fighting for position on a desultory bit of creeper, growing up a metal fence.

West coast, tomorrow - hope for more interest.

Tony M.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Tony Moore

December 28th - January 2nd.

Post by Tony Moore »

Six nights on Zaragosa Island off the west coast of Cebu. A small resort and a fishing village - no 'bugging'!

First butt was a Plain Tiger (Danaus chrysippus in the vegetable garden.
DSC00724.JPG

Out on the island proper the next morning, I found an area with a few local 'Sailors'. This is one of my favourite butterflies - they float around at approaching stall speed, but somehow remain airborne. The courting flight is a delight as the pair float about, alternating superior position. I think this is Pantoporia dama commixta, but would be happy to be corrected.
DSC00741.JPG
DSC00759.JPG
On the way back, I saw a tiny 'Blue' ovipositing. I assumed it was Lesser Grass Blue, but on closer examination it turned out to be Black Spot Grass Blue Famegana alsulus. The eggs were barely visible - no more than .25 mm diameter.
DSC00765.JPG
More tomorrow...

Tony M.

Diary entries for 2014 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Good to hear from you again, Tony. It seems that "bugging" is common practice in the tropics. I noticed in St Lucia that plenty of butterflies would fly through the resort, but they rarely settled, even on good nectar sources. As soon as we left the resort gates I saw butterflies settled on plants and basking in the sun. It seems such a shame for us enthusiasts, but I can understand them not wanting to have mosquitos and cockroaches infesting the resorts.

Tony Moore

Zaragosa Is. 2.

Post by Tony Moore »

Quite a number of 'Pansies' around this morning - always a welcome sight. Peacock and Blue ( also saw Grey, but they were too jumpy :().
DSC00644.JPG
DSC00756.JPG
There was a beautiful, fresh Great Eggfly (I hope it's not EF mimic!) floating around the veg patch. The iridescent purple is wonderful to behold when they are flying round in the sun - the photo does not do it justice.

Hypolimnas bolina philippensis
DSC00780.JPG
A couple of 'Blues' to finish:

A Forget-me-not Catochrysops strabo, which could not be persuaded to leave its flower, until it got fed up with being prodded, and whizzed off.
Also a Pea Blue ( or Long-tailed Blue to us ) Lampedes boeticus. Sorry about the grass :(.

Tony M.
Attachments
DSC00786.JPG
DSC00762.JPG

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

More brilliant pictures, Tony! I envy you!

By now you undoubtedly know far more than I do, but the ID I am most interested in here is the Pantoporia. Have you had that confirmed? It does look very like Neptis sp. - perhaps Neptis mindorana, which flies on Luzon. I'm definitely out of my depth here, but I do find these Neptis/Athyma/Pantoporia species fascinating and would be interested if you had had feedback from the Singapore people. There are dozens of very similar butterflies strung out over several genera and I'd like to get my head around them!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
David M

Re: Zaragosa Is. 2.

Post by David M »

Tony Moore wrote:Quite a number of 'Pansies' around this morning - always a welcome sight. Peacock and Blue ( also saw Grey, but they were too jumpy :().
Both of those are beautiful, Tony, but that second species is one of the finest butterflies I've ever seen!

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

A lovely set of photos Tony - incredible colours!
Chris

Tony Moore

Ateneo again

Post by Tony Moore »

After two weeks away, there is a definite suggestion of seaonal variation today. Relatively few Psyches and Golden Skippers and a positive explosion of Club Silverlines. Saw my first Chocolate Albatross and a couple of what I think are Common Caeruleans Jamedes celeno
DSC00800.JPG
They were both females and looked almost pure white in flight. I nearly fell down a small ravine trying to photograph this one after following it for a couple of hundred metres. Hope for some males soon...

I also managed to catch a Lesser Grass Blue on an infrequent excursion above ground level.
DSC00795.JPG

Thanks, all, for your kind comments. Guy, I'll put the 'Sailor" past the Singapore chaps and report back. Whatever it was, it's a most delightful, delicate butterfly.

Tony M.
Last edited by Tony Moore on Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Spot on again, Guy. De boss man him say: Neptis mindorana nosba. I took the ID from a vanity Philippine Butterfly site - looks like this ID was wrong.

Tony.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Thanks for the confirmation, Tony!

Guy

The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Fantastic pictures again Tony. The Junonia are fantastic butterflies, so variable and beautiful. That is the best picture I have ever seen of a Great Eggfly, a butterfly I have always wanted to see. It must be very difficult to get the exposure right and your picture is spot on.

Tony Moore

Re: Philippines Blo

Post by Tony Moore »

Thanks, Nick,
I was lucky to have a very accommodating butterfly, which posed beautifully in the afternoon sunshine, showing off its purple iridescence.

Cloudy today and the first day without a new species! :( . Just waiting for confirmation of an ID from Singapore, when I 'll post a couple more pix.

T.

Tony Moore

10th January

Post by Tony Moore »

After a couple of comparatively thin days (although neither bereft of new species :) ), I had better luck this morning. Finally managed a better shot of Common Caerulean J. celeno - a frustrating butterfly, which flaps about in waist-high grass, and always seems to land where a clear shot is impossible. This one was more reasonable:
DSC00856.JPG
Next up was a very tiny all brown Skipper:
DSC00867.JPG
I think this may be Aeromachus musca, but I can't find a reasonable photo anywhere. Guy??

Saw several Straight Pierrots - did make me wonder if there is a Gay Pierrot :mrgreen: ....

The highlight was :
DSC00870.JPG
A lovely, fresh Red-base Jezebel, which flew slowly past, looking for all the world like an Arctuid moth, until it landed with wings upright, and almot gave me a cardiac arrest! Managed one reasonable shot before it took off into the canopy. Not sure which ssp, perhaps Guy could help...

Tony M.

Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

Just had confirmation of A. musca for the Skipper.

T.M.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Lovely Delias. If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on henningia. :D

Guy

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Zaragosa Is. 2.

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Tony Moore wrote:Quite a number of 'Pansies' around this morning - always a welcome sight. Peacock and Blue...
Wow...The Blue Pansy. What an absolutely stunning butterfly!

Very much enjoying your diary, Tony.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Tony Moore

Post by Tony Moore »

padfield wrote: If I were a betting man, I'd put my money on henningia. :D

Guy
Not a betting man? Five gets you ten you know far more about this stuff than anyone else I can think of....

Tony.

Chris Jackson

Post by Chris Jackson »

Hi All,
I think those 'Pansies' and that Red-base Jezebel are just great.
Good work Tony.
Chris

Return to “Personal Diaries”