October 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: October 2013

Post by David M »

Double figure number of butterflies seen late morning today (probably for the last time in 2013).

12 Red Admirals and 1 Comma at the sheltered southern end of Cwm Clydach near Swansea. The flowering ivy was what they were all after.
1CommaRA(1).jpg
LancsRover

Post by LancsRover »

Following David's post earlier today, I also went out late morning and saw 3 red admirals and a comma, also feeding on flowering ivy, at Rivington,Nr. Chorley, Lancs.
The weather was bright sunshine and only 12/13c but with no wind, which made it feel a lot warmer.
Let's hope we get a few more days like today, before the year is out.

Russ
Attachments
SAM_6442.JPG
Last of the year?
Last of the year?
jenks

Post by jenks »

The Gwent Ornithological website today reports 2 Clouded Yellow butterflies seen at Peterstone ( coastal site mid-way between Cardiff and Newport, on the Severn estuary ). Obviously making the most of the fine weather--before the anticipated deluge !. The observer was chuffed-- a first for him !.

Jenks
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Yesterday at work (24/10/13) a probable, Small Tortoiseshell flew above my head.

EDIT- Sorry, location Kent.

Cheers Paul.
David M

Post by David M »

Red Admiral resting wings closed on a silver birch trunk outside my work building this morning.

There's no cold weather forecast soon, just rain and gales which butterflies can shelter from. I expect a couple of weeks of sightings yet!
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Red admiral on laurel tree in Ryde yesterday having survived the storm. :)
millerd

Post by millerd »

Small Tortoiseshell released into warm sunshine from a pub in Pocklington, Yorkshire on Sunday 27th.
Red Admiral seen high up on ivy this morning (29th) in Wilberfoss, Yorkshire. Sunny but barely 10 degrees.

Dave
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

As I was cleaning the salt off the windows this morning following the storm I realised how warm it was so as soon as I was able I shot up to High and Over for a quick visit. Only 2 butterflies seen and these were both Clouded Yellow. 1 helise and 1 normal. 2 moths also seen, 1 Silver Y and a micro that is unidentified as the moment!! Also a few late Common Darter dragonflies.
DSC_7639 (1024x680).jpg

http://bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Unbroken sunshine and I had the day off work - what are the chances? A walk around Brandon Country Park, Suffolk yielded a Comma, Red Admiral, a couple of Peacocks, and two Small Coppers - lovely to see those last ones in particular.

Comma

Peacock

The peace was somewhat disturbed by a lot of activity from these rather larger flying beasts (Brandon CP being next door to RAF Lakenheath)
Jets
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Aircraft are F15s.

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

dilettante wrote:...a couple of Peacocks, and two Small Coppers..
Those are excellent sightings for the dying days of October.
Testudo Man

Post by Testudo Man »

Red Admiral and Large White seen today at work...Also a red admiral was seen yesterday on the 29/10/13

The RA didnt hang around too long, but the large white did, it was trying to nectar on various flowers.

Location - Hadlow, Kent, approx 11.00 am.

Im hoping to see/photograph a red admiral in my garden this November, because i have done so, the last 2 previous years(2011/2012).

Cheers Paul.

Return to “Sightings”