September 2013

Discussion forum for sightings.
David M

Re: over 40 speckled woods

Post by David M »

petet100 wrote:Today on ground next to the farmhouse over 40 speckled woods were sharing late sun and brambles before the rain arrived. has anyone else seen large group of these normally territorial beasts in one place? Extraordinary sight. Southern Anglesey
Never even heard of that, Petet. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen TWO Speckled Woods perch peaceably with one another.
millerd

Re: September 2013

Post by millerd »

There are two in this picture, but I suspect they are under the influence of home-made blackberry wine...
Speckled Woods 29th August
Speckled Woods 29th August
Crossing all available digits, the current Met Office weather forecast from about Friday onwards is looking good (at least in the South East):

UK Outlook for Saturday 21 Sep 2013 to Monday 30 Sep 2013:

A bright yet cool start on Saturday to a rather fine day with good sunny spells and light winds, particularly in eastern and southeastern parts. It will gradually cloud over in western parts through the day with some patchy rain and drizzle in the northwest, with freshening winds here too. This patchy rain is likely to continue through Sunday while central and southeastern parts see another largely fine and dry day. Into next week, central and southern parts may well see a lot of settled weather with generally light winds, and it will feel rather warm at times. Northwestern parts will also see some drier brighter periods, however there is a greater risk here for more changeable weather and unsettled spells of rain, and even some strong winds at times.

UK Outlook for Tuesday 1 Oct 2013 to Tuesday 15 Oct 2013:

For the first part of October, most of us can expect to see some decent settled periods. This will most likely be in southern and eastern parts, where good sunny spells are most likely. Further north and west, again some good spells of settled weather are likely here, but there is a greater risk of seeing more changeable weather and some unsettled spells of showers or rain.

Issued at: 1600 on Mon 16 Sep 2013

I wonder what the current bout of autumn will have left us!

Dave
Susie

Post by Susie »

At this time of year I start counting the last sightings of butterflies and this morning at Goring I watched a painted lady attempting to fly out to sea but being buffeted back to the beach by strong winds.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Definitely agree that its nearly time to say goodbye to the butterflies for another year. I was in my garden at the weekend moving two paving slabs that I'd got resting against my shed, but found two hibernating Peacock butterfly! I've put the paving slabs back and hope they survive until March!
David M

Post by David M »

I still think we've got a good three weeks yet for observing butterflies.

Sure, some have 'retired' for the year, but there are a few surprises in store I'm sure.
sahikmet

Butterflies

Post by sahikmet »

Yesterday at Aston Rowant Bald Hill, two tatty Meadow browns, no other butterflies around. But Chiltern Gentians are just starting to come into flower.

Cheers, Sezar
Attachments
DSC06383A.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

Miserable morning turned into a pleasant afternoon so I walked the 4 miles from Pontardawe to Clydach to collect my car from the garage.

Butterflies seen were 10 Small Tortoiseshells, 8 Small Whites, 8 Speckled Woods and 2 Red Admirals.

Many of the buddleias are still very much in flower too.
David M

Post by David M »

Spent a very enjoyable day down at the National Botanic Gardens of Wales near Cross Hands in Carmarthenshire.

In spite of the heavily overcast conditions, there were surprising numbers of butterflies pottering around the vast array of rich nectar sources. Small Whites hit double figures, half a dozen Red Admirals were seen and singleton Small Tortoiseshell and Peacock.

I may well pay another visit when the sun is shining as I suspect this place will prove a 'last stand' for many species.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

One very good condition chalkhill blue at Afton chalkpit today. :D Ian
Attachments
04-Pratt-Ian--P1170759.jpg
03-Pratt-Ian--P1170755.jpg
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Ian Pratt wrote:One very good condition chalkhill blue at Afton chalkpit today. :D Ian
Crikey - that's incredibly late for an individual in that condition!!!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

One very good condition chalkhill blue
Many years ago - probably early 1970s - I saw CH Blues at Denbies at the beginning of October, not in good condition of course. They were flying in the company of equally late Meadow Browns.

Both CH Blue and Meadow Brown are single brooded and have perhaps the longest flight season of any single brooded species (except those that hibernate as adults, eg Brimstone, Peacock). They can be seen from May through to October, that is can be flying in six different calendar months.

Jack
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I’m full of off-beat thoughts on this dreich Hebridean Sunday.

I am unable to travel the 600+ miles to see these LT Blues in Kent, but it might be possible with smart phones to transmit live video (Skype?) so that we can enjoy?
Just a silly – maybe not quite that silly – idea.

Jack
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

It's definitely possible, Jack - smartphones with 3G can transmit and receive quite reasonable video when the signal is strong enough. I expect some UK Butterfliers will have access to 4G too ... There'll be a bit of planning required but I'd be interested to see how it works out for you!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

...smartphones with 3G can transmit and receive quite reasonable video when the signal is strong enough
If the live video idea can be developed, the potentials are limitless. Those of us who are less able and can’t get around as much as we used to could perhaps see Mountain Ringlet, High Brown Fritillary. I used to love seeing Purple Emperor on the paths in Fermyn, (but have my doubts that I’ll ever be able to re-visit) so to see them again – in real time – would bring it all to life again. Maybe in the future when Pete goes to some far-flung place, we could share the delights of exotic fauna.

And of course, not just butterflies. I might (although doubt my technical skills would be up to it) be able to share our eagles on Mull.

But surely, people are already transmitting live video from their phones, CCTV style, for more mundane things? There must be some “apps” (is that the right term? – I have been left a long way behind) to simplify the process.

My dashcam though is just within my capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBRyQFASODU

(the clip from 34 seconds is fun – yes I know that corner)

He takes just 6 minutes on a road that takes me about three times as long.

Jack
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

With regards to 3G and 4G video of the Long Tailed Blues at Kingsdown. Please be aware that with an ordinary mobile, yes, I still use a phone that only rings and texts (1G?), that the signal often drops out at Kingsdown and St. Margarets and goes into roaming charges, with the signal presumably going via France. The quality of the signal can still be very poor at times so I suspect that live video of these LTB's may remain a dream. I am sure that some techie on the forum will however have the solution and that Jack's suggestion may well be feasible.
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Better chalkhill blue than Sunday and small copper seen today at Brading Down Isle of Wight. :D Ian
Attachments
02-Pratt-Ian--P1170796.jpg
03-Pratt-Ian--P1170798.jpg
millerd

Post by millerd »

Probably a new generation male Clouded Yellow seen today near Heathrow - report and photos in my diary.

Dave
sahikmet

Post by sahikmet »

Yesterday at Langley Park three Speckled Wood, one was very fresh looking. The comma late afternoon at home was also very fresh looking. Cheers Sezar
Attachments
DSC06515B.jpg
DSC06515A.jpg
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Jacks thought of viewing the LTBs using Skype is quite pertinent. My partner is in the fortunate position of staying in a hotel overlooking Monterey Bay in California at the moment and yesterday I was able to watch Sea Otters catching crabs live on apples Face Time. Even better she was able to hold the camera to one of the lenses of a pair of binoculars and I was able to get really acceptable images whilst two seagulls hassled the otter and stole the crab only for it to dive and resurface with a starfish!
Would have been better if i was there but it was quite incredible from 4000 odd miles away!
Mark.
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Whilst looking for Long-tailed Blues in Sussex we were lucky to find a fabulous female Wasp Spider, a fabulous creature and something to look at whilst waiting for the mist yesterday to hopefully go away. (It didn't). However, just as Nigel and I were giving up a female blue graced us with its presence, and what a special creature it was. I just hope the netters that were seen in Kent keep away from here. Sightings have been very few and far between with many people looking over the last week and as far as I am aware only 2 butterflies seen so Kent is probably the place to be!! More on the blog bobsbutterflies.blogspot.com
Attachments
Female Wasp Spider
Female Wasp Spider
Female Long-tailed Blue
Female Long-tailed Blue

Return to “Sightings”