Maximus

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
millerd

Re: Maximus

Post by millerd »

I agree about that SSB! Stunningly coloured and large "studs". Some of those I saw at Thursley and Fairmile on Saturday had no studs to speak of at all.

Dave

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots of the Silver Studs Mike :D I did manage to see my Silver Studs at Slop Bog but no females there yet. I've noticed over the last couple of years that females are often more heavily stuffed than the males but the one you have us a cracker :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Pauline wrote:Wow! I have never seen such a distinctly marked SSB MIke. She is gorgeous.
Agreed,

Great photos of a beautiful individual :D

All the best,

Neil F.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Our broadband has been down again over the last few days and only got it sorted this morning! Thanks Pauline and Dave for your comments. That was a nice Freudian slip Wurzel, or maybe just a slip of the finger on the keyboard? :lol: Glad you saw your SSB's at Slop Bog. Thanks Neil, glad you like the photos, yes she was a beautiful butterfly. We think she was a 'one off' as further visits to Fairmile have not yeilded any quite as well marked as she was!

P1040099 copy.jpg
P1040104 copy.jpg
P1040125 copy.jpg

3rd July

Today we went first to the Straits Inclosure and took a walk along the woodland ride and although the sun was not out, some nice new Ringlets, Meadow Browns and some Speckled Woods were on the wing. The only downside was that the pesky Horseflies made a bee-line for us.

P1040155.jpgA copy.jpg
P1040740 copy.jpg

On the way home we decided to have a walk around Wrecclesham and although we saw no 'Glannies' we did see our first Marbled Whites of 2013.

P1040196.jpgA copy.jpg
P1040225 copy.jpg

During our quick visit we also saw Small Tortoiseshells, Small Skippers, Large Skippers, Several Ringlets and a lone Speckled Wood.

5th July

Today we paid a visit to Old Winchester Hill with Dark Green Fritillaries our target, having seen them here in 2012. Along the path to the hill fort were many Small Heaths flying up at every footfall, they seem to be doing well in 2013! We also saw some very fresh Large Skippers further along this path. We had walked about half way round the earthwork before we caught a glimpse of a DGF speeding past. What amazingly powerful fliers they are, like the jet plane of the butterfly world, wings beating furiously as they speed along seeking to intercept any intruder in their path. They did however on occasion make some nice slow gliding passes very close to us, revealing their lovely dark patterned upper wings. Getting a decent photo was never going to be easy and in the end we waited for them to come to us by staking out some thistles, which were just coming into flower, on which we observed that they would occasionally stop to nectar.

P1040284 copy.jpg
P1040280 copy.jpg
P1040279 copy.jpg

We saw a total of 7 DGF's during our visit which was in 28 degree sunshine. We also saw 30+ gorgeously coloured Small Tortoiseshells ( they seem to be doing better than in 2012), A few Marbled Whites, 6 Large Skippers, one Red Admiral (only our third this year so far) and numerous Small Heaths. All in all a great way to spend a fine summers day.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Indeed it was a typo - the kind that comes form using an iPod, the "keys" are far too small :oops: :roll: Lovely shots of Dark Greens :mrgreen: Is it just me or has everything turned up at once?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, I know what you mean about the small keys. Yes, its not just you, everything has turned up at once.

10th July

This afternoon another visit to the Straits Inclosure was in order and this time the summer weather and the butterflies did not disappoint. So coming (hopefully), to a wood near you...

P1040632 copy.jpg
P1040659.jpgA copy.jpg
P1040690 copy.jpg
P1040981 copy.jpg
P1040684 copy.jpg
P1050061 copy.jpg
P1040683 copy.jpg
P1040682 copy.jpg

It was very nice to meet you again Pauline, in the same place, almost exactly one year later, how time flies!

11th July

Today we wanted to make another visit to see the Silver-studded Blues before they fade away. They appear to be at their peak at the moment and we saw several mating pairs. There are plenty of fresh looking individuals out there. They have become a firm favorite of ours.

P1040312 copy.jpg
P1040353 copy.jpg
P1040414 copy.jpg
P1040008 copy.jpg

We also saw this lovely Golden-ringed Dragonfly

P1040659 copy.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Lush photos Mike :D I hope indeed they'll be about soon, last weekend SWF and WA were in short supply at Bentley Wood.

Hsve a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Wurzel, i'm sure the SWF and WA will be out in numbers at Bentley soon.

12th July

Today we headed back to the Straits with HIM on our adgenda. When we reached the rather small car parking area it was full so we parked in the lane. It was obvious that 'word had got around as there was an almost carnival atmosphere to be seen. We worked our way along the ride until we were alone at the second tower.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

We met a chap there who told us he had spent almost a week looking for Purple Emperors, and as he was heading back to the car park we walked part of the way with him. We left him halfway down the path and as we could see him disappearing into the distance, suddenly a PE alighted on the track in front of us. We managed a couple of record shots before he took off, flew down the ride and finally came back past us and then vanished into the trees, we were thrilled with our first audience with HIM.

P1050168.jpgA copy.jpg

We waited around for a while but we saw no more sight of him so decided to go to Goose Green. When we got there we found Ashley Whittlock already there observing and recording three PE's who continuouisly chased each other in the tree tops. One of the three had a piece of its wing missing and so Ashley called him 'Nick'. Nick was considerably smaller than the other two males, who fought a continuous battle for the prime spot in the oak. After a while we decided to head off to Wrecclesham, and as we were leaving Goose Green we bumped into Matthew Oates who was interested to hear that we'd seen 3 PE's here and a grounded male PE at the Straits.

P1050188 copy.jpg

At Wrecclesham the heat was relentless and as we entered the site there were Marbled Whites buzzing around everywhere. We noticed there were quite a lot of Skippers on the wing too, large, small and our first Essex Skipper of 2013.

P1040773 copy.jpg
Large Skipper
Large Skipper

Essex Skipper
Essex Skipper
Small Skipper
Small Skipper

We also saw several dark looking Fritillaries which we were unable to positively identify as they were flying quickly on the breeze and disappeared out of sight and we were unable to find them again, Glanvilles in July?

We returned to the Straits arriving at 5pm. We walked along the ride admiring the Silver Washed Fritillaries and White Admirals. We stood at the first tower for about an hour and had several sightings of PE high in the oak trees in the background. Although we spent some time watching they did not appear on the track.

P1040981 copy.jpg
P1050132 copy.jpg
P1050130 copy.jpg
P1050160 copy.jpg

So we headed home and as we arrived we saw this lovely Small Tortioseshell with lots of blue...

P1040811 copy.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Yesterday was a long day out in blistering heat and so I omitted to add some photos which help to sum up just how exceptional the day was. I should also add that at the entrance gate end of the Straits Cathy joked that whilst she was 'otherwise engaged' amongst the privacy of the trees a PE would probably land on me and she'd miss seeing it. She didn't realise how close to that happening she was, as whiilst I was standing waiting on the path another PE buzzed me at close quarters making a fair clicking noise with its wings as it did!

P1050154 copy.jpg
P1050070 copy.jpg
P1050142 copy.jpg
P1050135 copy.jpg
P1050207 copy.jpg

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Some lovely shots there Mike, but ....... next time you go to Wrecclesham can you take a net :lol: :lol:

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some fantastic sots there Mike - especially the HComma :D Bentley tomorrow with Fish paste from the Polish Deli, I wonder if His Nibbs will like it? :?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline, yes I think maybe a net is the only way we'll ever know for sure whether the Glanvilles really have vanished from Wrecclesham :wink:

Cheers Wurzel, hope the Emperor bait worked at Bentley.

This last week has seen us chasing after the PE's for a wings open ground shot, but alas our timing has always been out and we've usually just missed them :( Even though we didn't devote as much time to these as we did the Emperors, here are a few shots of some other species we encountered whilst on our impossible quest.

P1040826.jpgA copy.jpg
Fresh female Silver-studded Blues
Fresh female Silver-studded Blues
P1040886 copy.jpg
P1040898 copy.jpg
P1050234 copy.jpg
P1050242 copy.jpg
P1050264 copy.jpg

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

19th July

Today we decided on the spur of the moment to take a trip to Bentley Wood. During our previous visits we had only set foot in the Eastern clearing whilst looking for PBF's and Small PBF's, but this time we set off along the switchback and deeper into the wood. As we walked along the rides it seemed that every patch of bramble was covered in butterflies. We saw many Ringlets, Silver-washed Fritillaries, Large Skippers and Small Skippers. We also saw some fresh looking Red Admirals, Peacocks, Marbled Whites, several Purple Emperors in the treetops and our first confirmed Gatekeepers of 2013. Best of all however were the six White Letter Hairstreaks which we watched flying around the top of an Elm, where they stayed, never descending to a lower level for us to photograph.

First Gatekeeper of 2013
First Gatekeeper of 2013
White Letter Hairstreak Record shot
White Letter Hairstreak Record shot
White Letter Hairstreak territory
White Letter Hairstreak territory
Silver-washed Fritillary, mating pair
Silver-washed Fritillary, mating pair
Unusual looking Ringlet,  ab. arete?
Unusual looking Ringlet, ab. arete?

We also saw this unusual, stunningly marked Peacock

P1050289 copy.jpg
P1050290 copy.jpg
P1050293 copy.jpg

After this visual feast at Bentley, we stopped off at Broughton Down on the way home, and here saw our first Chalkhill Blues of the year.. how time is speeding along!

P1040981.jpgA copy.jpg
P1050394 copy.jpg
A very brown looking, Green-veined White
A very brown looking, Green-veined White

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Great shot of mating pair SWF Mike. Had my chance today and totally blew it :roll:

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great stuff Mike, love the Silver-washed Fritillary pair :D

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great report Mike - now I know what to look out for tomorrow :D Great aberrant find with the Ringlet and I really like the Brown Veined White :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline and Neil and Wurzel. We saw another Ringlet ab. today, but it flew over a fence and we could not find it again.

24th July

Having spent some time looking for a PE on the ground without success it was time to do something more sensible. We therefore paid another visit to Dawneys at Purbright to see if any Grayling had yet emerged. Our change of plan paid dividends as we found six freshly emerged male Grayling across the site along with some very worn Silver-studded Blues.

P1050130.jpgA copy.jpg
P1050132.jpgA copy.jpg
P1050135.jpgA copy.jpg
P1050151 copy.jpg
P1050174 copy.jpg
P1050295 copy.jpg
P1050474 copy.jpg

It was lovely to see these beautiful butterflies who are real masters of disguise and only take to the air when you are about to tread on them. We also observed that when threatened, eg. us with our cameras, they will sometimes raise their forewing and in doing so give some fantastic photogenic views. More non-PE activities to follow.....

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Well done with the Grayling shots Mike - not an easy butterfly to photograph and not a site I've ever visited.

Maximus

Post by Maximus »

Thanks Pauline - Fortunately some of these Grayling were quite obliging once they'd settled and seemed quite content to stay put whilst I took my photos. I even had one land on me at one point, with some even investigating me before settling at my feet.

25th July

Today we decided to pay a visit to Old Winchester Hill in the hope of some better photos of Chalkhill Blues. We got there around 1pm and although it was sunny and 25 deg.C, the wind was quite strong and so made it difficult for taking photos. On the path towards the hill fort we saw many, many Small Skippers buzzing through the long grass along with numerous Marbled Whites, a couple of Peacocks, Red Admirals, Brimstone and Small Tortoiseshells. Meadow Browns and Ringlets were also there in large numbers too, as were Gatekeepers, Large Whites and Small Whites.

P1050687 copy.jpg
P1050701 copy.jpg
P1050832 copy.jpg
P1050791 copy.jpg

Around the hill fort we encountered so many Chalkhill Blues it was hard to put a number on them, but it was certainly in the hundreds, including a few mating pairs. Some of the males appeared quite worn, although there were plenty of fresh individuals, both male and female, to be seen.

P1050776 copy.jpg
P1050526 copy.jpg
P1050465 copy.jpg
P1050497 copy.jpg
P1050636 copy.jpg

A real butterfly-fest of a day :lol:

26th July

Spurred on by the sight of so many different butterflies on our outing to Old Winchester Hill yesterday we decided to see what Magdalen Hill Down had in store for us today. We arrived just after lunch in baking 28 Deg.C and bright sunshine. The meadow was a spectacle of wild flowers and, like Old Winchester Hill, butterflies were to be seen in large numbers in this butterfly paradise. Everywhere we looked there were Skippers, Marbled Whites, Peacocks, Red Admirals, Gatekeepers, Ringlets, Commas, Meadow Browns, Large and Small Whites and Brimstones by the score!

P1050576 copy.jpg
P1050569 copy.jpg
P1050876 copy.jpg
P1050606 copy.jpg
Our first female Gatekeepers
Our first female Gatekeepers
P1050849 copy.jpg
Also found this Meadow Brown with two eye pupils!
Also found this Meadow Brown with two eye pupils!

Although there were a number of Chalkhill Blues to be found, there were nowhere near as many as we had encountered on Old Winchester Hill. Also, to our surprise, we found two very fresh looking Small Blues, one which appeared to be ovipositing on some Kidney Vetch! Another positively uplifting day among the lovely Lepidoptera :D

P1050624 copy.jpg
P1050664 copy.jpg
P1050936 copy.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”