April 2013 Sightings

Discussion forum for sightings.
sahikmet

Re: April Sightings

Post by sahikmet »

A single brimstone as well in the back garden to day. Frequent red kites flying low but no other butterflies. Cheers Sezar
NickB

Post by NickB »

...and a small and slightly tatty Comma in my local "Comma Corner"...
Comma_1_low_MRC_10th_April_2013.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

NickB wrote:...and a small and slightly tatty Comma in my local "Comma Corner"...
Lovely photo though!
NickB

Post by NickB »

dilettante wrote:
NickB wrote:...and a small and slightly tatty Comma in my local "Comma Corner"...
Lovely photo though!
Cheers; I'm lucky to be time rich/cash-poor at the moment, so I can get out and about.....
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
A_T

Post by A_T »

Saw a battered Red Admiral last weekend on the Welsh Coast.

Amazing that noone has posted a pic of a white or Speckled Wood yet. Given the snow we had here which lay for days I would not be surprised if I don't see an Orange-tip before May.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

A_T wrote:Amazing that noone has posted a pic of a white or Speckled Wood yet. Given the snow we had here which lay for days I would not be surprised if I don't see an Orange-tip before May.
I just noticed on Hants BC that somebody recorded a Green Hairstreak on Thursday at Titchfield Haven NNR :D So its not all bad
Nothing here today, its hammering down. Maybe tomorrow with a bit of luck :wink:
Mildheart

Post by Mildheart »

One small tortoiseshell at Minsmere today! Off the mark at last!
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

At last! A Small Tortoiseshell, outside Tesco in Cheltenham (glamorous location). Its a nice warm day but its just starting to rain now.
aeshna5

Post by aeshna5 »

Today at Ruislip Woods, Middx it was blustery with sunny spells which yielded 2 male Brimstones, 3 Commas + my first 2 Small Tortoiseshells for the year. Still haven't had a Peacock yet this spring.
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Seen today. 3 male, one female Brimstone, one Small White, 3 Comma, 3 Peacock, and one Small Tortoiseshell.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

hideandseek wrote:Seen today. 3 male, one female Brimstone, one Small White, 3 Comma, 3 Peacock, and one Small Tortoiseshell.
Whereabouts in the country did you see the Small White? Definitely worth a "tweet"! Good stuff :)

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Pete,

The Small White was seen Cranleigh, Surrey.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

My sister reports a Swallow in Somerset, but "one Swallow doesn't make....."

Oh, shut up.....

But I can report a relative scarcity here on Mull, a Skylark in song flight.

Jack
Pete Eeles

Post by Pete Eeles »

hideandseek wrote:Hi Pete,

The Small White was seen Cranleigh, Surrey.
Thx!

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Between Milford on the A3 and Junction 12 on the M25 (all Surrey), 9 male Brimstone and a single Comma earlier today. My journey north along the M40 produced nothing, as indeed was the case with the M42 and M6 around the West Midlands by which time I had hit 100% cloud cover and showers. The M54 and A5 heading through Shropshire and into north Wales and the Snowdonia National Park produced gale force winds and intermittent heavy showers. Snow is still lying on much of the higher ground.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow ...
sami

Post by sami »

I was quite literally beaten around the face by spring today! I was excited to get out and about today after seeing the weather forecast and as soon as I stepped out of the front door a Brimstone bounced off my head! My first butterfly of the year and a very symbolic start to the season I think! I went on to see a further two Brimstones and a Comma at a local nature reserve in Surbiton.
I'm a happy Sami now the butterflies are back! :)
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk
:)
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Weather looked more reasonable today so I thought I would take a look round the Butser Hill area and check out a few areas that I don't normally visit. However just before I left I had the opportunity to photograph my 'fishing' blackbird. I have had the same female nest in the garden for at east the last five years (she has a BTO ring on the left leg) and I have watched her fish for newts in the pond. She acts very like a heron standing quite still on any emergent weed waiting for a newt ( I have two species Palmate and Smooth)  to surface for air whenupon she pounces. The poor creatures death is normally quite prolonged as she adopts the same shaking tactic used for invertebrates - unfortunately newts are much more robust and it normally takes five or ten minutes of vigorous shaking to break them into sufficiently small pieces to feed to her chicks!
So after the brief diversion I spent four hours at Butser for the paltry return of one Brimstone and one Comma. Looking at the thick brown mat of dead grass with no sign of new growth and the fact that all of the Cowlips are in very tight bud and at least a week or two away from flowering I would guess that the butterfly season is similarly delayed? 
One thing I did spot was a very attractive lily like flower growing almost at the top of the down - there were just four plants in close proximity and they have me completely flummoxed - any ID help would be appreciated  :D Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Looks like Glory of the Snow,must have escaped from someones garden as it's not native!
Small White in Essex today,my first for 2013 :) plus two Comma.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Despite the prospect of reasonable weather today, it did not really materialise here :( The sun did appear late morning, after a rather murky start, only to disappear again quite quickly. I got a brief glimpse of what I think was a Comma being blown across my garden as I glanced out of the window at lunch time. But by the time I had got out at 3pm I had missed the best conditions and did not see anything at all :(
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Thanks - looks like your right - would be interested to know how it got there 600' above sea level with the nearest property two or three miles away! :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.

Return to “Sightings”