May 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
NickB

Re: May 2012

Post by NickB »

Hi David
It seems these were swarming this week across the UK; took these on Friday...
Adela reaumurella - male and female
Long-horn_moth_male_low_EBNR_11th_May_2012.jpg
Long-horn_moth_female_1_low_EBNR_11th_May_2012.jpg
(Yes - I know they are moffs; but at least they fly in the day...... :wink: )
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Best day of the year for me so far with first of Glanville fritillary, green-veined white, large white, brown argus,and common blue with additional lovely small copper f.caeruleopunctata. :D Grizzled skipper was a couple of weeks ago.
Attachments
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050915.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050861.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050854.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050893.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050469.1.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050887.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050889.jpg
01-Pratt-Ian--P1050880.jpg
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Today I was I able to fit in a trip to Granville Nature Reserve. There were several male and female orange tips :) (the male did not come close or sit still, so I was only able to take one photo - for my records) The female did roost for very short spells. I also saw a very small blue butterfly flying very fast for only a few seconds, it was a lovely colour - I have no idea what it was, but they do get holly blues at this site. One peacock also flew past ocassionally. I also met a lovely bee and ladybird.

As you can see I have only just started my photograpy and have lots to learn about ISO and depth of field. (Also how to focus on a butterfly who is sitting on a flower that is moving in the wind :? )

Debbie
Attachments
IMG_2744a.jpg
IMG_2681a.jpg
IMG_2655a.jpg
IMG_2713a.jpg
IMG_2632a.jpg
IMG_2613a.jpg
David M

Post by David M »

NickB wrote:Hi David
It seems these were swarming this week across the UK; took these on Friday...
Adela reaumurella - male and female
Thanks Nick. They look to be the same species. Literally hundreds of them today, particularly around hazel trees.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Ian Pratt wrote:Best day of the year for me so far.
Best day of the year for me too. This morning went for a walk along the Itchen Navigation south from Bishopstoke. Bright unbroken sunshine and a stiff cold breeze meant the day started slowly. No butterflies but I did see a couple of fresh male Agrion virgo. My first damselflies of the year :D

Early afternoon I spent a pleasant couple of hours at Botley Wood. Beautiful warm sunshine but the tracks were very wet and all but impassable in places. Plenty of Brimstone seen 3 female (one egg laying) and 9 males, orange tips 6 all male and one holly blue. My jewel of the day was one solitary Grizzled Skipper, THE FIRST ONE I HAVE EVER SEEN :D :D So I am really chuffed
Grizzled Skipper Botley Wood 12/5/12
Grizzled Skipper Botley Wood 12/5/12
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Debbie
Also how to focus on a butterfly who is sitting on a flower that is moving in the wind :?
Very difficult. This is one of the few occasions that I use flash (flash is as short as perhaps as perhaps 1/5000th second) to freeze the movement. But if the flower is moving back and forth, then it will be in and out of focus, So you need to maximum the depth of field (that is, the range at which an object is recorded to an acceptable degree of sharpness).

Depth of field depends on many factors. The smaller the lens aperture, the greater the DofF. Smaller aperture means bigger f numbers, eg f/8 is a smaller aperture than f/4. Another factor that can markedly improve depth of field is to avoid filling the frame with the target. In this way, you are in effect using a smaller sensor. Smaller sensor (all other things being equal) means greater depth of field (technical optics - don't worry).

Summary of my method in windy conditions: small aperture, don't fill the frame, use flash.

Here is a recent example of mine (seen already in my diary) taken is very windy conditions using exactly those methods. It is a crop from the middle third of the original photo.

This picture is still not as sharp or as detailed as I would have liked. Calm conditions would have enabled a closer approach, I could have filled the frame, and there would have been no need for flash. But the "wind" shot is an acceptable compromise.

Jack
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

Dashed up Prestbury Hill when I finished work at lunchtime yesterday, saw Orange Tips, Brimstones, Peacocks, Speckled Wood, Green Veined White and just one Duke of Burgundy. There was also a Common Heath moth, my first ever Common Lizard and a Cuckoo calling.

In the morning there were Holly Blues mating in the tree outside my office window. I seem to have 'outed' myself as a butterfly obsessive to my colleagues by gasping loudly and dashing to the window. oops.

Jo
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Jack Harrison wrote: So you need to maximum the depth of field (that is, the range at which an object is recorded to an acceptable degree of sharpness).
I thought you gave a good summary of the problem, Jack, until I happened to read a review of the Sony DSC-H20 compact, used by some contributors to this forum. I was surprised to read:

"Like most small-sensor compact digicams, the Sony H20 makes do without an iris diaphragm in the lens, meaning that the term 'stopping down' only refers to the engagement of a built-in neutral density filter. In consequence, you only have two 'aperture settings' at your disposal, irrespective of where you are in the zoom range. Another corollary is that stopping down hasn't the slightest effect on depth of field, which can thus be only controlled by changing the focal length or the camera-to-subject distance when feasible."(http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... 20_review/)

I don't know how widespread this design feature is but, if "most" in the above review is true , then there is no point in stopping down a compact to achieve greater depth of field! Fortunately these cameras have considerable depth anyway but it seems that this is another major difference between compacts and DLRs.

Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Mike added some useful comments;
I thought you gave a good summary of the problem, Jack, until I happened to read a review of the Sony DSC-H20 compact, used by some contributors to this forum. I was surprised to read:

"Like most small-sensor compact digicams, the Sony H20 makes do without an iris diaphragm in the lens, meaning that the term 'stopping down' only refers to the engagement of a built-in neutral density filter. In consequence, you only have two 'aperture settings' at your disposal, irrespective of where you are in the zoom range. Another corollary is that stopping down hasn't the slightest effect on depth of field, which can thus be only controlled by changing the focal length or the camera-to-subject distance when feasible."(http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/ ... 20_review/)
I don't know how widespread this design feature is but, if "most" in the above review is true , then there is no point in stopping down a compact to achieve greater depth of field!"
I will need to conduct some tests to find out with my Lumix FZ150 to establish the situation. But I fear that it is probably true. (I had never thought about it before, just assumed it had a diaphragm). The electronics to achieve the desired results would certainly be simpler than a physical diaphragm. Interestingly, in very bright light at the seaside yesterday, I was over-exposing even at smallest stop f/8 and shortest shutter speed of 1/2000 with ISO at the minimum sensitivity of 100. So I had to add an external x4 ND filter. (not a camera fault: I had set exposure bias to -1.3)

Another corollary if there is in fact no physical change in aperture, the consideration of diffraction limitations would not be relevant. See this (ignore if not technically minded):

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutori ... graphy.htm

I'll carry out some tests ASAP to see what happens to DofF with apparent change of aperture, but one or two things to do first. I'm just back form a Norfolk BC field trip - great success with Grizzled Skipper both at the field trip site and then elsewhere on my own afterwards - so some piccies to process. But before all that, I want to watch the recording of the Grand Prix. I don't yet know what happened!!!

Jack
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Made my first proper butterflying trip of the year this morning, to Ladybower Woods in the Peak District, on the promise of good weather.

For those that don't know the site, it holds Green Hairstreak and Wall at this time of year, as well as Purple Hairstreak later in the year. Plus there were rumours of a Grizzled Skipper introduction in 2010 (though none seen last year).

Weather was much colder than predicted with the clouds and strong winds 5 hours earlier than expected, so the only butterfly I saw was a battered Peacock. Very disappointing. Will be back though in two weeks time.

One thing the visit did emphasise though is just how late the Spring now is in this part of the world. Everything is about 3 weeks later than last year.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Good weather at last: I took a trip to Botany Bay and managed to catch up with Wood White
P1010100.JPG
Also Green veined Whites,Speckled Woods,Holly Blues and Dingy Skippers

Then to Rewell Wood where I was delighted to find Pearl bordered Fritillaries ( about 10 in all )
P1010126.JPG
as well as Grizzled Skippers.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Wall Brown, Small Heath and male Common Blue on the wing at a very windswept Wall Common on the west Somerset coast near Bridgwater.
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

A couple of good days with a late afternoon visit to Abbotts Wood on friday with a mating pair of Green Veined White followed by several Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. Then today met up with Philzoid around High and Over with several male Wall Brown and Holly Blue showing. Green Hairstreak also at last about including a punctata form with the white streak across both front and hind wings. Dingy and Grizzled Skipper also on the wing.
Attachments
Mating Green Veined White
Mating Green Veined White
Pearl Bordered Fritillary
Wall Brown
Wall Brown
Wall Brown
Wall Brown
Green Hairstreak form punctata
Green Hairstreak form punctata
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I had said:
I will need to conduct some tests to find out with my Lumix FZ150 to establish the situation
Tested. At smallest aperture f/8, noticeably BETTER depth of field than at widest f/2.8 So this would suggest that the camera has a REAL diaphragm and not an electronic neutral density filter.

So there's a significant advantage for the macro photographer of the Lumix FZ150 over the Sony DSC-H20. I never knew about that Neutral Density "trick" to simulate smaller apertures. I had very nearly purchased the Sony. Glad I didn't.

Jack
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I was pleased to read that the FZ150 has a real diaphragm! I wonder if the original review was strictly accurate or whether some of these compact cameras use Waterhouse stops (i.e. a plate with a smaller hole that can be inserted in the light path) It would seem to be as easy to implement as an ND filter and would give the increased DoF at smaller apertures.

I've been enjoying your photos, Jack, and the FZ150 seems too be serving you well!

Mike
Nickkor

An audience with the Duke

Post by Nickkor »

After being caught out by the early season last year I was determined to see my first ever Duke this year. Arriving At Ivinghoe Beacon early Sat morning butterflies were thin on the ground - a cold north easterly not helping matters. By late morning a few hardy souls were on the wing ; Green Hairstreaks, Grizzled and Dingy Skippers
By lunch time with no sign of a Duke the cloud & frustration levels were building! After a quick pub lunch we re-located to Bison Hill, shortly after we were finally rewarded with a fleeting view - with a sense of relief we continued our search and finally found one more Duke who obliged us with a few photos in now less than ideal conditions.
A tiring day but well worth the effort for my first ever sighting of this lovely little butterfly.

Nick
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

My first visit to Wyre forest to see the pearlbordereds. had great day saw about 40+ pearls, mainly along the centre of pipe line section and about 8 freshly emerged Dingy skippers. plenty of peacocks & speckled woods, a couple orange tips,brimstones and a single gv white!
very windy making photography hard!!!
pics to follow :)
Phil
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

After seeing all the splendid posts of Green Hairstreaks :mrgreen: , I visited Ardley Quarry, Oxon (usually a good site for them) this afternoon.

It proved to be an almost 'butterfly-free zone' - just a couple of Brimstones and a female Orange Tip. The site is on one bank of a railway cutting and is often a sheltered sun-trap but, today, it was exposed to a cold wind, which had seemingly driven most wildlife away. I did manage a few photos of foraging bees (any ID welcome!) and the time was partially salvaged by a splendid display by the SWIP Twisters aero display team, who appeared to be rehearsing over Upper Heyford. In the absence of butterflies, these made some good 'flight shots'.
Ardley Quarry, Oxon - 13th May 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC - 1/1000s@f/5.6 ISO720
Ardley Quarry, Oxon - 13th May 2012
Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC - 1/1000s@f/5.6 ISO720
Ardley Quarry, Oxon - 13th May 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC - 1/4000s@f/5.6 ISO400
Ardley Quarry, Oxon - 13th May 2012
Nikon D300s with 300f4 + 1.4X TC - 1/4000s@f/5.6 ISO400
Mike
Susie

Post by Susie »

Denbies Hillside

Denbies was back on form today with good numbers of dingy skippers, around 4 - 5 grizzled skippers, burnet moths, 2 small coppers, 1 brown argus, about a dozen small heath, a large white, a brimstone, 2 small copper and I guestimate 2 adonis blue and 2 common blue.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

MikeOxon
I wonder if the original review was strictly accurate or whether some of these compact cameras use Waterhouse stops (i.e. a plate with a smaller hole that can be inserted in the light path)
From wiki:
Today, Waterhouse stops are largely obsolete; most modern photographic lenses are made with an iris diaphragm.
Some compact digital cameras use 2-hole diaphragms for limited aperture control.

So we learn something every day. Thanks Mike.

Jack

Return to “Sightings”