Marek (The Annoying Czech)

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
NickB

Re: Marek (The Annoying Czech)

Post by NickB »

Your diary is most certainly about butterflies; and it is your personal diary!
(Many people over in the UK are also looking for work; many more are self-employed, or on short-term or part-time contracts which leave them struggling to pay for just the basics of life. Perversely, many also have more time to spend out-and-about exercising their passion; cash-poor but time-rich! I can understand your frustrations.)
That said, your list is very impressive for a local patch; some of us, I'm sure, are wishing we could be over where you live to see those butterflies too! Have you considered organising trips for enthusiasts to visit? Guide for a Czech tour company offering wildlife and walking holidays? Just a thought; no doubt you have enough of your own!
N

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

:) It's my long-term nightmare to be time-rich during the Winter.

Tour companies: IIRC, there isn't such a thing in CZE, I even lost the wwws of the UK one. It sounds great, imagine the possibilities. It also sounds very Summer-oriented.

I just need to settle in some proffesion / at some place where I'll be relatively happy. I have only one life available, not nine lives like a cat! 8)

Thanks for you post, Nick.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Annoying Czech

Enough of personal bullsh.. and back to butterflies.

I took advantage of two confused Clouded Yellows.

For me, Yellows are the most common Fall butterflies.

A forgotten Purple Emperor detail from July 1st.

Two new things happened in my village: I've seen first Autumn third generation Wall in my life and made my first record of Hummingbird Hawk-moth, apparently a widespread species.

Also, third generation of Dingy Skippers occurs from time to time. Again, I didn't know.

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Great pictures Marek. I enjoy your mix of quality butterfly pictures, close-ups and landscapes. I hope you manage to sort out a job somewhere. If you come to Scotland it rains all the time and you will only see about 20 species of butterflies. Everywhere is flooded today after a very stormy night!

The Annoying Czech

NickMorgan wrote:Great pictures Marek. I enjoy your mix of quality butterfly pictures, close-ups and landscapes. I hope you manage to sort out a job somewhere. If you come to Scotland it rains all the time and you will only see about 20 species of butterflies. Everywhere is flooded today after a very stormy night!
20 species per day, or per season? :D

Some days ago I found this unusual What's going on in the bramble photo in my camera. (Lesser Marbled Fritillary, June 2012)

Short-tailed Blue basking on a June sun.

And shabby October Peacock. How does he want to survive the Winter in a condition like this? :shock:

Many Clouded Yellows are still emerging in a hot but windy Autumn days. Four days ago I've seen a Queen of Spain Fritillary, so they didn't yet left the Central Europe.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Those close-ups are very impressive, Marek!

Is that really a short-tailed blue, with those conspicuous discal marks? If so, that rather scuppers upperside ID of this species (separating it from Eastern STB, that is)! :D

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
The Annoying Czech

padfield wrote:Those close-ups are very impressive, Marek!

Is that really a short-tailed blue, with those conspicuous discal marks? If so, that rather scuppers upperside ID of this species (separating it from Eastern STB, that is)! :D

Guy
It's possible, but not probable, both species are present round about, both are spreading fast, but argiades is much more abundant and less local than decoloratus that I safely discovered at two abandoned mining locations and one mesophile meadow only, often with a lot of luck.

A pleasant problems, I believe.

The Annoying Czech

This icarus pretty much represents where the season is going.

Coilas crocea, "Punk Head Yellow"

After that I pinned a rusty nail right into my sole. We still heat the house with the wood, it's relatively unusual here at present, but I love it :D

Our house is getting a new "coat".

A parkour hall north of the house.

The Annoying Czech

I got a job today and already went on my first shift!

I work manually and probably for a ridiculous money, but much less ridiculous than by now. Hopefully my astonishing intellect will not be wasted and my hands survives the shock :D

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Merek,

Congratulations on getting a job, i`m really pleased for you. I am sure your astonishing intellect will not be wasted, and you can always wear a pair of gloves to protect your soft hands :wink:

All the best, Nick.

The Annoying Czech

Some October photos of mine, including non-butterfly stuff.

Croceas are dominant now.

(Here are horses everywhere...)

David M

Post by David M »

That's a superb Clouded Yellow image, Marek.

The Annoying Czech

Hi Brits :D

I'm quite happily employed very close to Hyundai car production, for money you'd probably never work for, but I still do have enough money to cover the whole 2013 butterfly season and even to purchase some equipment.

I bought erebia.cz domain for the future and created a Deviant Art gallery of photos I feel that might prove timeless during my future photo career :D All of them are reworked (desharpened, brightened, made smaller, changed composition).

I decidedly plan to continue with local butterfly monitoring, all last year's contracts seems to be prepared to be prolonged, which is a VERY pleasant surprise. My secondary goal is to "push through" my photos into various butterfly books and publications if they prove to be good enough. My small dream remains the same, to be a local butterfly guide, but I feel this one might be a lump. :D

P.S. if you thought that bloody damn Czech with Large Coppers just behind the back garden is already butterflying, you were far from the truth. In fact, we could be giving snow for free these days:
Attachments
2013_03_20_pohled_na_lysou.JPG
392964_572461552772034_603126925_n.jpg
892055_4579597364162_705474897_o.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Annoying Czech

I've seen first butterfly in April 14 and today they're already flying in solid numbers. Commas tend to sit on various 'bokeh-friendly' spots so I shoot them and not the others. (3) (4)

Of course I'm heavily looking for either Large Tortoiseshells or Camberwell Beauties. Today I discovered an excellent site for (presumably) both of them in a cut down corner of an alluvial forest (just by the newly found Brenthis ino biotope). Counted three LT individuals fighting for the sap and territory determinated by a young remaining trees.

Made three shots (2) but just to fill the dust bin, since I have to resharpen it to achieve a reasonable detail. To equal last year's photos (1) I just have to come back...
Attachments
babocka_jilmova_2012_03_21_bruzovice_2.jpg
polychloros.jpg
babocka_bile_c_2013_04_16_bruzovice.jpg
babocka_bile_c_2013_04_15_bruzovice.jpg

Diary entries for 2013 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Annoying Czech

I continued observing the site seeing a fresh Camberwell Beauty just the day after - but only one shy individual.

Large Tortoiseshells prepared me a different scenario, being reasonably common at the site but still a hard targets. I made a dosens of shots I mostly considered as crap, though.

I'd like to focus on shooting them open winged at the weekend. Before they're gone.

I also snapped some Peacocks and so with, I hope, solid result.

The season looks good so far...
Attachments
babocka_jilmova_2012_04_18_bruzovice_2.jpg
babocka_jilmova_2012_04_18_bruzovice.jpg
babocka_pavi_oko_2013_04_17_bruzovice.jpg

The Annoying Czech

Czech nature is waking up fast. How could it not be - it's up to 25 C everyday.

As always, photos might have been better, maybe saving #3 (just hatched Celastrina argiolus).

I've seen around a dozen of Large Tortoiseshells this Spring but the only Camberwell Beauty - that rare they are here outside mountains.
Attachments
modrasek_krusinovy_2013_04_24_bruzovice.jpg
babocka_pavi_oko_2013_04_21_bruzovice.jpg
modrasek_krusinovy_2013_04_27_bruzovice.jpg
belasek_rerichovy_2013_04_27_bruzovice.jpg
io.jpg
rhamni.jpg
2013_04_26_1.JPG
2013_04_25.JPG

The Annoying Czech

Humorously, I found two Large Tortoiseshells having territory right in my back garden. One of them hell of a butterfly, having wingspan up to 8 cm (photo).

Yesterday I finally achieved a solid shot of a fresh Map (see that fantastic unblemished shades of blue on the rear wings). Can't imagine I would get any photos if they weren't that common. I've also met some Swiss couple discovering Czech nature (or finding a good spot for lovemaking). Guy, maybe? :D

So far I've noticed urticae, rhamni, io, polychloros, c-album, antiopa, argiolus, napi, brassicae, cardamines, levana, reali, rapae, atalanta and machaon. Sorted by date.

Numbers of Large Tortoiseshells and Holly Blues pleased me this year.
Attachments
polychloros_3.jpg
c-album_2.jpg
babocka_sitkovana_2013_04_30_bruzovice.jpg

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That map is a brilliant photo, Marek. It's just exactly what I wanted to get this spring but the last two weekends have been write-offs because of the weather and this weekend is looking poor too. You're lucky to see maps commonly - they're not at all common here.

It wasn't me you saw, I should add. :(

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
The Annoying Czech

padfield wrote:That map is a brilliant photo, Marek. It's just exactly what I wanted to get this spring but the last two weekends have been write-offs because of the weather and this weekend is looking poor too. You're lucky to see maps commonly - they're not at all common here.

It wasn't me you saw, I should add. :(

Guy
I'm nearly satisfied :D but not fully. The photo I'm happy with the most is that fresh ground Holly Blue.

I could do more Maps f. Prorsa till they're fresh, but I'm much more focused on photographing Festoons (I love Festoons!) and Clouded Apollos in the end of the week. I do understand reasons why they are sought after, but they are really common for me as far I can remember.

The Swiss couple seemed to travel by car through local system of meadows which is not exactly the way I'd like to hold attraction in the foreign country, but I like being tolerant for any (drastically looking) disturbation management for Short-tailed Blues and Dingy Skippers 8) They looked to be surprised seeing me, however I was smiling as usual.

The Annoying Czech

Unfortunately, the weather is too unpredictible to run south for Festoons and so on. On the other hand, I could surprise Orange Tip males more easily, waiting for the short sunny moments after the last rain drops.

The black flies of unknown origin (for me) has been pretty calm and numerous after the rains. So I experimented a bit.
Attachments
belasek_rerichovy_2013_05_04_bruzovice.jpg
babocka_sitkovana_2013_05_05_bruzovice.jpg
mucha1.jpg
mucha2.jpg

Return to “Personal Diaries”